MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has committed to financing and producing "Kitbag," an epic film directed by Ridley Scott that will star Joaquin Phoenix as French emperor and military leader Napoleon, according to Deadline. Phoenix is well known for his Oscar-winning performance as "Joker" in 2019, and he also played Roman emperor Commodus in Scott's epic film "Gladiator" in 2000. Production of the film is expected to begin in early 2022.

Ridley-Scott-Joaquin-Phoenix-Napoleon-Bonaparte-1.jpg

"Napoleon is a man I've always been fascinated by," Scott told Deadline. "He came out of nowhere to rule everything — but all the while he was waging a romantic war with his adulterous wife Josephine. He conquered the world to try to win her love, and when he couldn't, he conquered it to destroy her, and destroyed himself in the process."

"No actor could ever embody Napoleon like Joaquin," added Scott. "He created one of movie history's most complex Emperors in Gladiator, and we'll create another with his Napoleon. It's a brilliant script written by David Scarpa, and today there's no better partner than Apple to bring a story like this to a global audience."

"Kitbag" is one of several upcoming films coming to Apple TV+. A drama film "Palmer" starring Justin Timberlake is set to debut January 29, and an action-thriller film "Emancipation" starring Will Smith is in the early stages of development.

Article Link: Joaquin Phoenix to Star as French Emperor Napoleon in Apple TV+ Film 'Kitbag' Directed by Ridley Scott

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Joker sucked. I'm not impressed at all.
While I wouldn't go as far and say Joker sucked, it is certainly very overrated -- largely predictable and mostly a series of character development rather than developing a story into a major payoff.

What is not overrated is Joaquin Phoenix's performance. He is just riveting to watch.

Moreover, Ridley Scott had nothing to do with Joker. His action oriented story telling has potentials to be effective for the subject matter, Napoleon. There hasn't been much films or TV series about Napoleon, at least not recently.

MrTechAdvice

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2020
United States of America
While I wouldn't go as far and say Joker sucked, it is certainly very overrated -- largely predictable and mostly a series of character development rather than developing a story into a major payoff.

What is not overrated is Joaquin Phoenix's performance. He is just riveting to watch.

Moreover, Ridley Scott had nothing to do with Joker. His action oriented story telling has potentials to be effective for the subject matter, Napoleon. There hasn't been much films or TV series about Napoleon, at least not recently.
Here's the first movie I've seen that actually made me fall asleep. Saw it again and it was boring, uneventful, overrated. and just s bad movie. I'm tired of making excuses. if this movie was titled the clown and had nothing to do with the joker. it would have tanked in the box office. Here's how I measure how good a movie is. Do I want to buy the movie? Would I be interested in watching it again? would I recommend it to others? Will I watch it for free on HBO Max? So many People LOVED it right? ask those same people how many times they watched it lately? Even during covid season, i bet nobody watched it ...even for free LOL

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Here's the first movie I've seen that actually made me fall asleep. Saw it again and it was boring, uneventful, overrated. and just s bad movie. I'm tired of making excuses. if this movie was titled the clown and had nothing to do with the joker. it would have tanked in the box office. Here's how I measure how good a movie is. Do I want to buy the movie? Would I be interested in watching it again? would I recommend it to others? Will I watch it for free on HBO Max? So many People LOVED it right? ask those same people how many times they watched it lately? Even during covid season, i bet nobody watched it ...even for free LOL
Again, I don't think Joker, which is directed by Todd Phillips (best known for The Hangover trilogy), is relevant to how Kitbag will turn out.

Director Ridley Scott is known for action-oriented films, which I suspect is more in your alley. Films like Alien, Gladiator, and The Martian. He is also known for slower paced films, such as the original Blade Runner.

Of course, Kitbag may turn out to be a stinker, but making presumptions based on a film made by entirely different director and writers is rather unfair. Whether you liked Joker or not, Phoenix was fantastic in the film.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.