Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vizin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
waste of space post!
slow news day MacRumors?
no BS ipad or iphone rumors to spread?

Rumors on a site called MacRumors? Heaven forbid.

And because someone has to say it: Does Apple get 30% of any DVD player that works with the TV?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Why? I really don't see the value in an Apple TV. Especially when it'll be locked down like other Apple devices.

In this position, you will be part of pride developing innovative designs, which are implemented in products used by millions of people. The position primarily involves high-density offline power supply's development for Apple's next generation Macintosh platforms spanning from notebook computers, desktop computers, servers, standalone displays and TV

I'm wondering if TV just refers to Apple TV.. and not an actual TV.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Maybe not trust to much information from person with English not good.

Seriously, do not read to much into this. The author clearly has limited English skills and my have cut and pasted parts of his job description from other text.

AnthonyCM

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
I entirely agree with those that don't want this. Apple is becoming more and more closed. If I'm spending $3,000-$5,000 for a television set, I don't want to have to buy a new one the next year for updated specs. I'd much rather update my Mac Mini for a few hundred bucks or an ATV for $100.

I don't need a "smart" television. Keep them nice an dumb, just like the shows I watch on them.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Rumors should at least have a chance of being true!!

Rumors on a site called MacRumors? Heaven forbid.
This is Page 2 at best, but seeing as it has ZERO CHANCE of being real, it doesn't belong anywhere on this board. Trash it!

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Planning a good April Fools day joke starts sometime around February 18th.

LOL

Is this on an idea board somewhere in Cuppertino? Sure.

Will it be developed? No way. It would be a horrible business strategy. Let the buyer insert the AppleTV into the entertainment system of choice as it is and you've got a winner. $99 is low enough to give it a try. Start making it a big ticket item and it will fail like the google tv.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
If Apple does what Google is doing(which is tie in Apple TV to existing TV's as opposed to making their own TV's) I don't see why this would be considered negative.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
It won't be long before your pay check is direct deposited to Apple's account. It's a conspiracy to take complete control of the world.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
The future may have new TVs with Apple TV docks built in like we have speaker docks now (just need to add a dock connector to Apple TV) and/or AirPlay enabled TVs. I don't see the point in Apple making a TV.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
I want to see them make one for no other reason but to see their brilliance when it comes to screwing over content providers and customers in this new market. It's popcorn time :eek:

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I want to see them make one for no other reason but to see their brilliance when it comes to screwing over content providers and customers in this new market. It's popcorn time :eek:

I know I feel so "screwed" by Apple.

I hate it when they give me new products that I love, or completely change an industry or a product category then everyone runs to copy them. And I really hate it when I buy their products and I don't have to fiddle with them all the time to keep them running.

I'm sooooo screwed by Apple... and can't wait for my next screwing! :rolleyes:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I know I feel so "screwed" by Apple.

I hate it when they give me new products that I love, or completely change an industry or a product category then everyone runs to copy them. And I really hate it when I buy their products and I don't have to fiddle with them all the time to keep them running.

I'm sooooo screwed by Apple... and can't wait for my next screwing! :rolleyes:

As long as you can afford to pay Apple's premium pricing...

Still waiting for an official iPhone for T-Mobile USA... :eek:

(from what I'm being told "unofficially" - not gonna happen... pay AT&T or Verizon their exorbitant prices)

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Wouldn't an Apple TV, with a screen made by Samsung, really just be a Samsung . . . .

You mean like most of Sony TVs are Samsung by that logic? In fact Samsung TV panels are not made by Samsung alone but a joint venture between Samsung and Sony with 50% share each.

Jul 29, 2008

• Because the last time Apple made an 'Apple TV' it was a disaster.

• Because there's no known reason to expect a different result this time 'round.

• Because TV makers live on the razors' edge, profit-wise.

• Because no one has advanced a compelling reason why Apple has to build and sell the WHOLE TV, when an add-on device should make the display do whatever it is Apple has in mind.

• Because if there IS a compelling reason why this must be built-in to the TV, rather than added on by way of a device, Apple could have TV manufacturers lined up around the block panting to build it themselves. (Panting, I say!) There's no reason for Apple to get bogged down in it - all they need to do is make the software, and maybe a proprietary chip or two.

...that's why.

AnthonyCM

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
I'm sorry, NBC, but in order to show your programs to people, we need 30% of your ad revenue.

Sincerely,
Steve Jobs

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
TV + Complexity = Fail.

... I don't need a "smart" television. Keep them nice an dumb, just like the shows I watch on them.

You are in the majority. Apple aims products at the consumer market now, with great success. That's why Apple didn't blow it like Google did with Google TV. Apple knows how to keep things simple.

My silly wild-ass guess is that Apple will consider Apple TV to be a "hobby" until it can run apps and have its own App Store with games etc. That might take a few more years, depending on how Apple decides to handle the different aspect ratios and pixel resolutions of iPhone / iPod touch (3:2), iPad (4:3), and HDTV (16:9).

So why would Apple ever want to make their own TV sets? I don't think they have any interest in doing that unless they can add significant value for consumers. Added value that will get people to buy it in large enough numbers that other TV makers will want to copy Apple's ideas. (Sound familiar?)

And I have absolutely what that added value could be. Google failed with Google TV. Just the way WebTV failed years ago. TV simplicity with internet complexity is a bad combination. Then you add the fact that the big-screen TV in the living room is a shared resource while browsing, emailing, texting, and tweeting are individual activities. You have the lean forward / lean backward schizophrenia plus contention for control of the big-screen TV among family members.

I dunno. Maybe Apple could add 200 extra vertical pixels to enlarge their Apple TV set's screen from the standard 1920x1080 to 1920x1280. Extra room at the bottom for a "dock" or text display or something. It wouldn't intrude on the standard HDTV picture at all, and if it's not in use it would just look like part of the bezel.

But more interestingly, that extra 200 pixels would give an Apple TV set the same 3:2 aspect ratio as iPhone / iPod touch. And guess what. That would also give an Apple TV exactly 2x the vertical and horizontal pixel count of iPhone / iPod touch. It would be trivial to line-double existing iPhone / iPod touch apps. And iAds. I think iAd was designed for TV from the start.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
As long as you can afford to pay Apple's premium pricing...

Still waiting for an official iPhone for T-Mobile USA... :eek:

(from what I'm being told "unofficially" - not gonna happen... pay AT&T or Verizon their exorbitant prices)

Honestly... I don't mind the Apple Premium Price. I'm buying a premium product that I know lasts. Like the MacBook Pro I'm typing on right now. 4-5 Years old and runs perfect. The only issue is some of the keys are worn down and you can't read the letters anymore. Cost more, but flawless over the years.

Can't say the same for my friend with his really "kick-butt" Toshiba (as he put it when he bought it)... two years old and has had a logic board replaced. Keyboard stopped working ($75 fix), one of his USB ports does not work, reinstalled Windows a couple times. Virus issues... Needless to say... he's waiting for the new MBP's to come out.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I still can't see the Apple Store in my local mall stocking big screen televisions. The television market is very competitive and I'm happy with the choices available.

Gotta Hankerin

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2010
I would rather see Apple introduce an iTunes server. They've created a great store for purchasing digital content and yet have done nothing to address the ever expanding storage needs of their customers.

If an Apple television could stream my iTunes purchased content from Apple servers I'd consider buying one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.