Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I suggest you look through the file systems on this list

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

Your statement is....interesting from a tech point of view....are you just choosing to ignore what has been released in the last 15 years.....or...are you actually saying that apple's APFS is the most impressive/innovative file system on that list ....

Given how iOS updates work, absolutely nothing amazing about the rollout! That is a red herring, we don't have a choice.
No....try not to read past what I've actually stated. It doesn't matter if ZFS has this, or NTFS has that, NONE OF THAT has anything to do with building a new filesystem from the ground up, let alone pulling off the largest filesystem conversion of a user base in human history.

I chose to "ignore" what other filesystems have because it has no bearing on actually creating a new one. You can't just pick a piece of code from the foundation of ZFS and pull it into AFPS (or any other filesystem for that matter) to get that feature, you have to start from scratch when making a new filesystem.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No....try not to read past what I've actually stated. It doesn't matter if ZFS has this, or NTFS has that, NONE OF THAT has anything to do with building a new filesystem from the ground up, let alone pulling off the largest filesystem conversion of a user base in human history.

How is apple innovating a FS when they add features that have been present in every other modern file system? You're dismissal of other FS does not change that fact

Don't get me wrong in looking forward to it and it's long overdue but it's not a shining example of innovation

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I don't think that anyone is saying Apple isn't innovating at all.

For me it's just that they haven't done so in a meaningful way in their core products (Mac, iPhone, iPad) and have been relatively silent in other spaces (like home automation and voice control).

I find less and less reasons to stay "Apple" every year, because the competition has caught up and surpassed them in many areas I'm interested in, regardless of how innovative they have been in the areas I'm not (AirPods, Watch).

Apple increasingly doesn't offer products that I want to use, the way I want to use them.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Hate to use cliched meme but... THIS. View attachment 699302

The things Musk is involved in have the potential to change society in a broad sense.

I think where Musk has the advantage in this is he is t at a point t with any endeavors that he can't fail i.e. Apple must continually improve their existing products for sales in fear of not being at the top of the heap. If Musk fails he just tries again. PayPal isn't going anywhere and isn't really part of the innovation world. Apple chose the path they're on and seems mostly focused on staying on top than risking it big. At least at this point.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Bingo.

To me, I feel there's only been a handful of truly innovative things/devices.
[doublepost=1494501765][/doublepost]

Do you really think the Apple Pencil is just like every stylus that came before it? It's akin to saying the first iPhone's multitouch capacitive screen was no different than the resistive touch screens we were using prior to it.

I have to say, I feel like putting the focus on apps for the watch wasn't the right move. Watch faces and extensions/glances would be optimal and most useful (in my opinion of course).

Really? Not even close to the way Apple implemented it with Touch ID.

Let's be honest. You can criticize Apple all you want, but the A series SoCs are far ahead of any mobile chips from other platforms. Not to mention the S series and W series. Their hardware division is really firing on all cylinders. Are there any other companies that have been building chips like the S1 and W1 for small wearable devices and scaling production into the millions of units?

Ugh, I hate this word innovation. Gets thrown around way too much.

Don't fret. He thinks innovation equates invention. I see it all the time here.

"There were stylus before Apple Pencil so therefore not innovative"

This is the mindset. iPhone was a major breakthrough and I'm sure many would consider it innovation and correctly so. Apple didn't INVENT the touch screen but they innovated it into a new product that made mobile phones change for the better.

Reactions: profets

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Synaptics already has the tech to put a FP sensor under a glass screen. If the Iphone X doesn't have this feature, it isn't due to lack of innovation. It is cause Apple is too cheap to pay the licensing fees to use it.

Also, while Apple is working on smartwatch bands, MS has a smart watch that can help peopke with Parkinson's disease ...

Where can I buy this MS watch for Parkinson's?

Apple isn't going to license something that puts the cost of the phone above a certain price point. Apple could do a lot of things but people still have to want to spend the money on this stuff.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Yes, I concede that the Ax series is better then other ARM processors.

Yes, I am. Apple saw the popularity of the Surface Pro products and they copied MS in this instance. Sorry but if looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, its a duck. Apple finally embraced the idea of using a stylus in its tablets - that's not innovation.

Again. Innovation has NOTHING to do with invention.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

I chose to "ignore" what other filesystems have because it has no bearing on actually creating a new one. You can't just pick a piece of code from the foundation of ZFS and pull it into AFPS (or any other filesystem for that matter) to get that feature, you have to start from scratch when making a new filesystem.

Apple's file system , based on a file system ..... it's not some radical concept.

Anyway, glad you think it's awesome .

[doublepost=1494535162][/doublepost]
That's not a point, that's a question that there is not an answer for. He can however run Apple and very well at that.

I want products that Apple doesn't offer, but that doesn't mean Cook is a bad CEO. Just means I want something that doesn't exist, to blame someone else for that seems silly.

It would seem you just want to blame someone for being unhappy.

depends on what your expectation of running apple is, if it's profits, his great. If this innovating and leading, one could have very good arguement his is a poor CEO.

Of course there is a group of us that are just jobs fans, so after he passed, was never gonna be the same again.

Do you think it takes the worlds best CEO to run a company like Coke, which is so dependent on one revenue stream?

Last edited:

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
I think wearables in general will slowly grow into a big market. The watch is still early, and I feel like you could say the same thing about personal computers early on as well as smartphones.

I mean, while we're talking about personal assistants that you speak to hands free, as well as the watch, I have Siri on my wrist "everywhere", not just in my kitchen or in the rooms where I place echos. I use Siri on the watch maybe 100 times per day, all over the place. I really, really cannot imagine replacing that with Echos. I don't think I could. Couple examples from yesterday - was washing the car, both hands soaked but I felt a tap which was a message, I could reply using just my voice. Later on I was BBQing and set a timer using Siri on the watch (I use timers pretty frequently which also seems popular with Echo in the kitchen). I would have needed an Echo out there too for all those times.
Siri on the watch is useless. Open your iphone to continue...

ajmarton

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2008

Walter Isaacson, the biographer of Steve Jobs, went on record this week to express his belief that Google and Amazon have overtaken Apple to become the most innovative technology companies of the modern day.

The Aspen Institute CEO and writer of the best-selling biography made the frank remarks in an interview on CNBC's "Squawk Alley" show, during which he singled out Apple's lack of movement in the virtual assistant space as an example of where the company had been left behind.

103994921-_95A0343.530x298.jpg

Image via CNBC

Isaacson said he was "surprised" that Apple hasn't moved its virtual assistant Siri into the home and claimed that he frequently used both Amazon's Echo speaker and Google Home. "Sometimes I let them compete," he said.

Apple is expected to release a smart speaker with Siri integration soon, possibly as early as next month at WWDC. However, Isaacson thinks it could be too late for the company to catch up in that space, and suggested Apple should look at other areas in which to innovate.

"You could have a great company -- and Apple is a great company -- without having really a next big thing, but it isn't in Apple's DNA to be that way," said Isaacson.

Article Link: Jobs Biographer Walter Isaacson: Apple 'No Longer the Most Innovative Company'
[doublepost=1494544135][/doublepost]Of course, it would have made more sense to wait until September to make that proclamation. But what do you expect from the writer of a poorly written biography.

25ghosts

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Too much weight is bestowed on that man's words.

People said 5 years before the iPhone came about that Apple had lost its window of entrance into the Mobile Industry.

Isaacson praised Apple for OS X when everyone using it were complaining it had lost its edge. Wishes for an in-home SIRI came the day SIRI came. How many years ago is that ????

Amazon and Google Home Bots are as smart as Nokia and Motorola Phones were prior to the iPhone.
I would hardly call those two devices innovative. Products they are but Innovation is fantastic - like the iPhone was and those products are not...

If Isaacson were such a great 'smeller' of innovation - I wonder why Steve never offered him a Job as VP of Innovation @ Apple !

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
While I agree Apple no longer innovates the way they used to under Jobs, I laugh out loud about tying that to the lack of an Amazon Echo like device.

Just have a good long look at Apple's "Pro" line of computers. The lack of innovation at Apple stems much more from the devices they've been manufacturing for years now than it stems from a device they've yet to bring to market.

Siri is sub-par. Fix that as best you can before you try and bring Siri to a speaker to compete with Amazon and Google. Oh and it's important to note that some of Siri's flaws by design. A personal assistant produced in this day and age with privacy being the overriding goal is going to be inheriebtky less useful and than if Apple threw privacy out the window. That's a big part of the reason why I'm OK with Siri being less useful than other offerings. With that being said you still can't convince me that Siri could be better than it is today even with a "privacy first" mantra.

Sure, elderly less tech savvy users might like a speaker that you can only interact with by voice but most of us have smart phones, tablets and PC's / laptops and are fine using those devices as our personal assistant.

Truth be told I have "Hey, Siri" shut off on my iPhone and iPad and always will. I don't like the idea of a device that's always listening. If I want to speak commands I want to be the one who initiates that willingly and not potentially accidentally with a voice command and, yes, I get that if you have an Internet connected device with a camera or microphone you're already at risk.

That's why I find the entire idea of IoT to be bad idea at this time. I don't want every device I own to be connected and easily hacked. You take enough of a chance with devices like smart phones, tablets and traditional computers. I don't need other traditionally "dumb" devices to have the ability to be compromised by hackers. At least the computing devices we own today that have an always on connection are being put to market by tech companies who are aware of security issues. I don't need a company who up until recently made "dumb" refrigerators, light bulbs, thermostats, etc. to enter the IoT world and produce devices that are even less secure than the devices I already own. That has "bad idea" written all over it to me.

Canyon Mike

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2017

Walter Isaacson, the biographer of Steve Jobs, went on record this week to express his belief that Google and Amazon have overtaken Apple to become the most innovative technology companies of the modern day.

The Aspen Institute CEO and writer of the best-selling biography made the frank remarks in an interview on CNBC's "Squawk Alley" show, during which he singled out Apple's lack of movement in the virtual assistant space as an example of where the company had been left behind.

103994921-_95A0343.530x298.jpg

Image via CNBC

Isaacson said he was "surprised" that Apple hasn't moved its virtual assistant Siri into the home and claimed that he frequently used both Amazon's Echo speaker and Google Home. "Sometimes I let them compete," he said.

Apple is expected to release a smart speaker with Siri integration soon, possibly as early as next month at WWDC. However, Isaacson thinks it could be too late for the company to catch up in that space, and suggested Apple should look at other areas in which to innovate.

"You could have a great company -- and Apple is a great company -- without having really a next big thing, but it isn't in Apple's DNA to be that way," said Isaacson.

Article Link: Jobs Biographer Walter Isaacson: Apple 'No Longer the Most Innovative Company'
[doublepost=1494548720][/doublepost]Unfortunate but true. Apple is well run for now, but not the innovator it was. Its over 5 years since Steve died and all we have is more iPods, iPads, iPhones, and Macs....all invented when Jobs was there. More of the same -- better yes, but nothing really new.

Reactions: huperniketes

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
[doublepost=1494548720][/doublepost]Unfortunate but true. Apple is well run for now, but not the innovator it was. Its over 5 years since Steve died and all we have is more iPods, iPads, iPhones, and Macs....all invented when Jobs was there. More of the same -- better yes, but nothing really new.

Nothing really new?

Watch, Pencil, AirPods..

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Yes, I am. Apple saw the popularity of the Surface Pro products and they copied MS in this instance. Sorry but if looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, its a duck. Apple finally embraced the idea of using a stylus in its tablets - that's not innovation.
Not sure how a moderator can keep his position on MacRumors with such a fundamentally flawed view of Apple and their products.

Reactions: hanser

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Not sure how a moderator can keep his position on MacRumors with such a fundamentally flawed view of Apple and their products.

Respectfully, that doesn't mean that any Core Apple supporter or anyone else that owns Apple products, Microsoft products or any other competitor product can't have an opinion on Apple. Not everything stated on an Apple related website will be Pro Apple. Sometimes you have to understand both sides of the spectrum.

That said, I am a huge supporter of Apple and they make great products , but I also own competitor products and Apple is not perfect. They have made their share of mistakes and there's nothing wrong with openly discussing them.

Reactions: MH01

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Again. Innovation has NOTHING to do with invention.
Surface is not an invention . You are confusing what the two words means , the Surface is in fact an innovative product.

Personal computer exists..... apple does not invent , it innovates from existing technology, hence they don't actually build anything themselves.

Don't use the word "invent" as an excuse for not even innovating , they competition is not inventing either.....the are innovating . Alexa....from amazon, is not an invention, it's taking existing AI and aiming it at home use, innovation in that space.... the AI and hardware so not inventive in anyway, they took tech that existed
[doublepost=1494566703][/doublepost]

This comments sums fundemental failure to understand editorial standards and moderation.

It's in the name , moderator . They should be unbiased . As this is actually a mac rumours site where people get to share their opinions. The place you want it to be, where it's just positive apple content.....wrong site....try apple.com, it's moderators are paid by apple to tow the company line.

Too many have this misconceived notion apple own macrumors ;) therefore everyone is towing the party line . Time some of you read the T&C.... :)

moderators are fine, you are just in the wrong place. Maybe your view is fundamentally flawed ;) the guy that has a huge ignore list just cause people have valid opinions that you don't share.... after all it's a rumour and opinion site...
[doublepost=1494566791][/doublepost]
Respectfully, that doesn't mean that any Core Apple supporter or anyone else that owns Apple products, Microsoft products or any other competitor product can't have an opinion on Apple. Not everything stated on an Apple related website will be Pro Apple. Sometimes you have to understand both sides of the spectrum.

That said, I am a huge supporter of Apple and they make great products , but I also own competitor products and Apple is not perfect. They have made their share of mistakes and there's nothing wrong with openly discussing them.

Exactly . It's a site for all. It's childish that people think that this site should only have apple fans....

Last edited:

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Think this obvious to anyone who pays attention. At the beginning I was positive about Tim Cook, but he have proved to be a unapologetic beancounter. Apple has become a money milking machine, things like leaving the dent in the universe are long forgotten. Unfortunately.

They're more interested in leaving a dent in your wallet.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Issacson's book was rubbish as is his assertion that Amazon and Google are more innovative. Fact is, there is no other company out there really innovating right now. None...it is all just polishing of existing paradigms.

Reactions: Sunny1990

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Even Spotify is beating Apple.

Think about it, Apple the company that revolutionized the world with iPod, can't make a good music app anymore much less innovate.

Reactions: Sunny1990
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.