iPod Jobs checks out new SONY Walkman @ Paris Expo

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
That's the greatest expression. Can't wait to see it in iGary's 'tar.

Let's hope Steve doesn't get any ideas/advice from them though.

Comment

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
The look on Steve's face is funny.

Anyway, Sony's new player looks sweet, I like the look of it better than the look of the iPod... If it had a scroll wheel and it synced with iTunes I would probably buy one.

Comment

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Steve:"Ahh, so this is the sony product we'll be crushing this year"
Rep:"Well actually we feel we've got a really strong contendor that will give the iPod a run for it's money"
Steve:"Haha, it doesn't matter how many times I hear that it still makes me laugh"

Comment

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
it's the most but ugly player i have ever seen, i wish sony would just give up and start makeing ipods like they did with the powerbook 100.

Comment

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
dornoforpyros said:
Steve:"Ahh, so this is the sony product we'll be crushing this year"
Rep:"Well actually we feel we've got a really strong contendor that will give the iPod a run for it's money"
Steve:"Haha, it doesn't matter how many times I hear that it still makes me laugh"
I heard this extract from the same conversation:

Rep: "You know it has 50 hours battery life, Mr Jobs."

Steve: Really? Well, I guess there has to be one benefit. I mean, would you just..... just.....look ..... at it..... I don't feel too well.... Bluuuerrrrgghhhh...."

NB: at this point Steve and the rest of the Apple crew were taken away to recover from the horror sighting. Meanwhile, the Sony rep received a letter from HQ. A source read it over his shoulder and it said:

Dear Rep,

Due to the horrible MP3 products we have produced and been stupid enough to show at the Apple Expo, we have to make you redundant.

Sorry.

Sony Portable Music Dp (non-joint ericsson division)

Comment

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Thats because iPod is what everyone wants, features are less important than the image. The ipod is a unique case where the whole is NOT simply a sum of its parts.

Comment

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
but an mp3 player at Macworld? Seems like a waste of time/money/space.

Comment

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
dan-o-mac said:
Can someone provide a link to the model he's checking out. The look on jobs face is classic, he's like WTF!
There's a link in the article...

Comment

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
My eyes!!! my eyes!!!! Someone please get me a trash can. I'm going to barf. That thing looks like something that would come with a barbie set, you know the one with the little plastic Corvette.

Comment

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Chaszmyr said:
There's a link in the article...
oops I missed it. :eek: Here's a great reply from an engadget poster.

Posted Sep 8, 2005, 12:28 AM ET by Brad
If you want to release a product that will mean nothing the same day, make sure to coincide with an Apple release.

Comment

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Comment

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
skubish said:
Without a sync/webstore app like iTunes, all other mp3 players are crap.

Besides iPods just look plain cool :)
iTunes isn't the only app of it's kind... It's just the only one worth mentioning :p

Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Chaszmyr said:
iTunes isn't the only app of it's kind... It's just the only one worth mentioning :p
agreed, the Connect store and software is rather lacking to say the least.

steve must be thinking: "where is the scroll wheel, how do you use this thing?"

Comment

Astral Cars

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
St. Paul
yeah, it's just not fair to say you can fit 13,000 songs on a 20GB mp3 player. Sure, if all your music is compressed to 48kbps, which anyone could notice a difference at. Also, The battery life isn't gonna happen. Kinda flashy looking.

Comment

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
cool shot.

If this was a car forum, I would share my picture of Chris Bangle (BMW Designer) sitting in a New C6 Corvette! Alas, this isn't a car forum so nobody will care ;)

Comment