Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Tablet rumors have exploded in the past few days with reports suggesting that Apple may introduce the device as early as January. A New York Times Blog post by Nick Bilton adds a few tantalizing tidbits about the upcoming device.

As we've known, Bilton reports that Apple has been working on a tablet on-and-off for many years but never felt to be good enough to go to market. Some of the previous technology had already been adapted for the iPhone launch. It seems, however, that Apple has finally gotten the tablet to the point to launch to the market, and according to a current senior employee at Apple, Steve Jobs is said to be "extremely happy with the new tablet."

Furthermore, another source told Bilton, "You will be very surprised how you interact with the new tablet." No other details are offered as to what this interaction might be. Apple, of course, holds many patents on multi-touch technology and has been expected to apply it to their upcoming tablet. Implementing more advanced gestures have been considered possible, though we're not sure if this would be considered a surprising interaction.

Article Link: Jobs "Extremely Happy" with Upcoming Apple Tablet and a Surprise?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
MacRumors: A new tablet rumor, every hour. :D

With so many rumors flying, I think we're finally going to see this mythical creature.

wakemac

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2009
NC
Sounds fancy!

But what are the uses for a $1,000 touch screen computer?

I'm hoping that it comes in at the $600 to $800 US so that I can buy them for my sales force. I have tried to make it as paperless as possible over the past few years, and this could be the final piece of the puzzle. It should also allow much faster transfer of data and real time information updates for the reps.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I'm hoping that it comes in at the $600 to $800 US so that I can buy them for my sales force. I have tried to make it as paperless as possible over the past few years, and this could be the final piece of the puzzle. It should also allow much faster transfer of data and real time information updates for the reps.
Given previous rumors, think lower, much lower.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
Given previous rumors, think lower, much lower.

Can you direct me to the previous rumors? I am having a hard time believing Apple would sell the tablet below $600. That is encroaching on the high-end iPod Touch range. I hope this tablet (if it really exists) will not be tied down to a carrier. That's a deal breaker for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.