Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
There are only two main user groups for tablets right now, AFAIK:

Apple will have to create a new tablet market, whatever that is.

I consider the iPod Touch to have created that market already... except that I (and perhaps a lot of potential new customers) need reading glasses to use one easily.

A larger device would satisfy that growth demographic (and maybe also sell into the two tiny vertical fringe groups you mentioned).

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
That's not why they said that :) 'Twas the keyboard.

Not quite. Handspring/Palm's market research said that about half of their potential customers preferred keyboards, and the other half preferred using the stylus. That's why Treo's supported both.

But according to current sales, it looks far more likely that a multi-touch display is really what at least half the market now wants, with the lions share of the remainder going for tiny keyboards, not stylii. Over 30M PalmOS devices were sold, but as a former developer for that platform, I know how far and fast that app market has completely collapsed.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Not quite. Handspring/Palm's market research said that about half of their potential customers preferred keyboards, and the other half preferred using the stylus. That's why Treo's supported both.

But according to current sales, it looks far more likely that a multi-touch display is really what at least half the market now wants, with the lions share of the remainder going for tiny keyboards, not stylii. Over 30M PalmOS devices were sold, but as a former developer for that platform, I know how far and fast that app market has completely collapsed.

I also developed for PalmOS. Positively antiquated.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
There are only two main user groups for tablets right now, AFAIK:

1) Field applications. Sales and service employees are often given a tablet with highly customized software.

2) Medical students. Apparently a tablet with MS One Note on it, is a popular note taking and learning aid.

Apple will have to create a new tablet market, whatever that is.

Well said. I think that Apple can serve both those markets while creating a new market. The problem with many tablet OS's is that the OS wasn't properly redesigned to take advantage of the hardware. Well that and they were overly expensive.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
The power of charisma

Imagine what it would be like to make headlines merely because someone quotes you as being "extremely happy" about anything. :rolleyes:

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Imagine what it would be like to make headlines merely because someone quotes you as being "extremely happy" about anything. :rolleyes:

I think maybe you missed the reason behind the "extremely happy" feeling, which was the only reason this is a headline at all.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Good point but still, if Jobs were extremely happy with his haircut it would also make the news.

Besides, has Steve ever been unhappy (on public) about any Apple product? It's called "spin". Was not he happy about MacBook Air and Apple TV? We'll see but I am pretty sure that Apple will use term "revolutionary" to describe new tablet or whatever it is :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.