Jobs for 16 year olds?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by canes960, Feb 21, 2011.

1. canes960 macrumors 6502

So with the summer coming, I will have a lot more free time and I need to get a job. I am 16 and I am wondering what I can do. I have looked online and have not found many threads about 16 year olds and jobs. I know with the economy like it is right now it will not be easy to get a job. Do any of you have suggestions? Thanks so much, It is greatly appreciated.

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

working in a restaurant kitchen ... doing dishes, plus you will learn how a restaurant runs.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You usually need working papers to get a job that young. Do you have them?

4. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do not need them if It is during the summer. The laws are more strict for 14 and 15 year olds then it is for 16 years old. I do not understand why.

The Restaurant thing is a good thought. I will look into that. Anymore ideas?

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Your best bet is something where you can get tips. At your age it is really going to be the easiest way to make more than minimum wage.

Look at hotels and such where they set up big banquets. Had friends who did that and it was good money for the work. I worked at a golf course and the tip money was insane, usually over $200 per day.

6. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

This might be a stupid question, but how do I know if they have jobs openings? Do I just call the Golf Course?

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

go to the places you want to get a job and ask to fill out a job application

8. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

So just walk into like the pro shop and ask them for a job application? Alright. Any other suggestions?

9. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

At least here in the UK, it's the same case; I think it's because you can leave school at 16 and you can get a job if you wish to do so, so understandably the laws are relaxed because you don't have to be at school.

10. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

• Start your own grass cutting business
    • Go to a car dealership and ask if they need a porter, you must have a license though

That's all I got

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Don't wait until you hear about an opening. Sell yourself and your skills, many places will hire someone without ever advertising or even acknowledging that they have an opening.

Restaurants, both fast-food and otherwise.

Automotive - wash cars at the dealership, run parts for a garage, things like that.

Sweep and haul trash at a warehouse or loading dock.

Some places won't hire minors to make deliveries, but some might. If you have a car, look into that - pizza, florists, etc.

Yardwork and landscaping. Look beyond mowing the lawns, here - many individuals and businesses hire gardeners to change planted color as the seasons pass.

It's admirable that you're willing to work at your age. Best of luck to you.

12. Annerz macrumors regular

13. ApexBoost macrumors member

When I was 16 I started working at a small fun park running the go-karts, best job I ever had. The place was real laid back, and we basically managed ourselves. Pretty easy job, got tipped with cash and 12 packs quite often ;) Worth checking out if you have any near by.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

How about being the bagger at your local grocery store? That's what they do here ...

ChaCha would be cool, but you have to be 18+.

15. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

OMG I soooo wanna work for ChaCha! I would get to see the insanely stupid questions that people ask! :p

16. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Country Club. Country Club. Country Club.

You'll make decent money (more than the 1.50 they pay waiters) and get tips to boot. Free golf was great for me when I was that age, but not sure if golf is your thing.

But, you'll make good contacts for later on in life if you can make a good impression. One of my buddies met a member when we were in high school at the country club we were working at. 6 years later, my friend had his engineering degree and got a job with that same member making 90K a year 1 day after he walked across the stage to accept his diploma, I wasn't so lucky.

17. canes960 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well Thank you. You had some great suggestions Tomorrow. Thank you for the encouragement. It means a lot. Thank you!

That sounds like a great Idea. Tuscaloosa does not have any Race tracks though . Thank you for the suggestion though!

I am thinking about going to ask them for a application soon. I would love that and the bonus part of the getting to know people. What did you do at the Country Club?

18. adk macrumors 68000

adk

As long as you start working hard this month to find a job you'll get something figured out. Most high schoolers don't start looking until may. It also sounds like you realize that you're not "above" typical jobs for a 16 year-old. Yes, you might have difficult work and low pay, but that's the best way for you to learn the value of work ethic.

19. sim667 macrumors 65816

cleaning..... I had a cracking job when i was sixteen (12 years ago :()

4-6 PM monday to friday, £5 an hour, £10 bonus each week for not taking a sickie.

You'd probably get paid a bit better than that now.

20. elizabethjane macrumors member

elizabethjane

When I was 16, I worked at a non profit. I definitely recommend a job at a country club. good $.

21. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This. I did this when I was 17. Proved myself well and now I am a chef in two restaurants.

22. HacKage macrumors regular

When I was 16, I had an SaS job (Saturday and Sunday) working in a garage helping out. Not what I wanted to do, but it got me into the regime of working, doing something I don't particularly like and getting me some cash. Best bet is just go ask about and see if anywhere needs a hand and maybe someone will take you on.

23. miamijim macrumors 6502

It may not be legal but in the Uk you would be old enough for prostitution.

Failing that, kitchen work in any of the towns coffee shops or restaurants... even back bar work in bars such as Pot collector, you can even do that in nightclubs at 16 and over. well you can in the UK.

But as someone said earlier Country Clubs... and really network but don't be smarmy about it.