Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tritonj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I hate to be the guy who says it but, pics or it didn't happen.

It's really easily to fabricate something like this. Provide images with EXIF data intact.

even with that, aside from the e-mail address itself, who is to say Jobs was the one who wrote it, all i see is an e-mail address with his name, i know everyone likes to think it is really Jobs replying to our e-mails but i'm still skeptical

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
You guys are so lucky you even got an email back from him, you're basically emailing the innovator of the modern computer. Wish he'd reply to me :(

purell

macrumors member
May 13, 2010
Avoid holding it that way - so are we supposed to hold it upside down. This can't be real. JOKE

Hawklight

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
If this actually is the response from Jobs then he just took his company off the tracks and down the side of a mountain. lol

jb007clone

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2006
I just checked my work email to see if I got a response after reading this thread.

Sure enough, there was a reply in my inbox from Mr. Steve Jobs-

word for word -

"All cell phones have sensitive areas. Just avoid holding it in that way."

Amazing......

If this turns out to be true, that's it folks.

Prepare to deal with the issue or return the phone.

Should you have to 'correct' your behavior in order to use the phone, or should the phone work around you instead?

Should you have to buy an accessory in order for your $200 device to function properly?

Mugambo

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
Apple is simply trying to revolutionize the way we hold our phones, get over it.

Ooo, ooo, I got one.. This is Apple's way of forcing you to use FaceTime on every single call by laying your phone on your table!

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I am cutting and pasting (happy to also furnish a screen shot with my personal info blurred out). But here's the email:

I emailed Steve and he replied back (cutting and pasting below) Happy to send screen shot, forward email or whatever as "proof" it's original... Please keep my contact info confidential though...

Non issue. Just avoid holding it in that way.

On Jun 24, 2010, at 12:14 PM, xxxxxx wrote:

Thanks for the tech.

Question - What's going to be done about the signal dropping issue. Is it software or hardware?

Best,
xxxxxxxx

I totally agree with him. As soon as I realized that you just need to avoid touching the bottom, I adjusted the way I hold it. Just hold it a bit higher and your fine. Like he said, non-issue. Especially sine most of us are going to have bumpers or some other kind of case. I think that most of the people claiming that they are dropping calls because of it are trolls and shills anyway. Ya, it's a little annoying, but not that big of a deal. Of course all of "the usual suspects" are having a field day crying about it.

All cell phones have sensitive areas that shouldn't be gripped says Jobs?. So they put the MOST sensitive area in the place that is the MOST gripped?

Come on! This can't be for real...

Nonsense. Most people are right handed and don't normally hold the whole phone in the palm of their hand. And the lefty's don't usually hold it that way either. Just takes a bit of adjusting if you do.

fru

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
All cell phones have sensitive areas that shouldn't be gripped says Jobs?. So they put the MOST sensitive area in the place that is the MOST gripped?

Come on! This can't be for real...

purell

macrumors member
May 13, 2010
I have big hands. I'm not gonna hold the phone with only 2 fingers. No way. If his reply is this. Tons of folks will be returning this phone and get ready to be on the news.

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
This reply sounds like something the Russian president told him to say when they were hanging out yesterday. Jobs is turning into a true communist if that's what he thinks.

Mugambo

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
I totally agree with him. As soon as I realized that you just need to avoid touching the bottom, I adjusted the way I hold it. Just hold it a bit higher and your fine. Like he said, non-issue. Especially sine most of us are going to have bumpers or some other kind of case. I think that most of the people claiming that they are dropping calls because of it are trolls and shills anyway. Ya, it's a little annoying, but not that big of a deal. Of course all of "the usual suspects" are having a field day crying about it.

Sarcasm?

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
I have big hands. I'm not gonna hold the phone with my pinkie. No way. If his reply is this. Tons of folks will be returning this phone and get ready to be on the news.

Who said anything about holding it with your pinky?

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
I'm gonna teeter it on my johnson and use the speaker phone. Making every conversation like a game of topple.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Regardless of whether or not this is real, the points are spot on. But the masses won't **** until steve says so. For now they will rail on and on about this. I dont know many that kung-fu grip hold their phone like that - leftie or rightie. Even when I did it as a test, it didnt impact my call.

Some people cant just enjoy their device.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
If this email and reply is real then you can bet your house that they created the bumper case because they knew it was an issue.

Did they think that nobody would notice this?? Wow.

I really, really hope that this isn't legit.
I don't want to hate Apple & Steve.

EDIT: Although I really can't get my iPhone 4 to lower it's signal like that. I think I'm too close to an AT&T tower (I can see it from my window).

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Also, I think EVERYONE who has this issue AND is annoyed by it, should just return their phone ASAP.

They can go back to the 3G or get a Blackberry or Evo. Problem solved. I mean, that is the consumer's only power is to NOT BUY something they believe is flawed.

I will keep mine. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.