Jobs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silentownage001, Feb 12, 2012.

1. silentownage001 macrumors regular

Ok, so I've thought about what I'd want to do when I'm older. The thing is I can't think of anything really. I don't like to write, not a fan of math and I don't like science.

So far I've come up with

Video editing

The thing is if I do that I'd want to work on Hollywood movies but I don't really want to move to California.

I want to be in Indiana or thereabouts (I currently live in NJ).

I also want to make some good money. I understand it'll take several years at least to make higher 6 digits. Mainly to have a lifestyle I have now and to have money for some new hobbies.

I eventually will get a hunting license and a gun license. My brother and I both want to.
    I also might want to play airsoft/paintball.
    And lastly, possibly sky diving. I will go one day. I think that if I can jump out of a plane once then I'll do it again. Anything remotely similar I've done is para-sailing at 400 feet.

So, anybody have any suggestions for a good job. I still have several years. I'm only in high school but I really have no idea and there are probably some things I haven't thought of.

Please be serious nothing stupid.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

MovieCutter may be able to tell you about editing. He lives in DC, I think. I think it will take more than a few years to get into the high 6 figures, however. Do you have any talents or skills.? Are you self-motivating and disciplined? Maybe you could start a business of your own filling some local need.

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Something called to me...

Ugh, you're in for a world of hurt. You have to know math to be an editor (framerate conversions, bitrates, compression ratios, etc) and to an extent, you have to know science. If you want to work on Hollywood movies, you HAVE to move to Hollywood...sad but true. I wanted to work on Hollywood movies...until I went there. I wouldn't live in LA unless it were the only untouched city after the apocalypse. But that's me.

Indiana will give you editing jobs at local news stations, some corporate stuff, and weddings. That's about it (I know, I'm from Wisconsin). If you want to be a video editor, start learning "tape to tape" editing to understand the concept of various types of edits. Editing CAN make you six figures in certain markets. I make six figures now as a freelancer and have for several years. I love what I do and get to work with different projects weekly. I also have friends who are editors and shooters like myself who own houses in the Caribbean and fly to DC every few weeks for gigs. It really does pay the bills if you have the client list.

But it sounds like you're just a kid all over the map who doesn't REALLY know what they want to do. If you want to seriously be a video editor, feel free to PM myself or LethalWolfe.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

No kidding. That was just frakkin weird.

6. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

There are plenty of resources available at your disposal to aid you in selecting the right career for yourself. Check out careerpath.com and use the tools there to see what career options may suit you.

Also, I'd like to mention that, yes making lots of money is nice. But to make lots of money, you need to work hard and work a lot. This often comes at the expense of your social and family life. As they always say, money doesn't bring happiness.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

When I was in high school, I thought I wanted to do video editing/production too.

I went to college, started (and almost finished the major), then realized I HATED the media industry. Unfortunately for me, I was too far done with the major to switch, so I just finished it and picked up a business minor. Graduating in the spring and I'll start looking for entry level jobs. And I might go to grad school for a MBA or CPA.

Trust me, you have a long way to go. Start college undecided unless you REALLY know what you want to do. In reality, unless you are looking for a job in a specialized field (like medicine for example), what you major in doesn't really mean **** either. They just want to know you graduated and did well.

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

This is cute. :rolleyes:

Anyway, is there anything in particular that is drawing you to Indiana? I can't say I've met many people who grow up dreaming to one day move to Indiana. It is good to have goals for where you'd like to end up geographically, but you shouldn't restrict yourself too much right out of the gate.

As for jobs...do what you love. What do you love?

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yeah, good luck with that.

10. 184550 Guest

You can always go work for Ron Swanson.

11. silentownage001 thread starter macrumors regular

My brother went to college in Indiana.

Also, a lot of my brother's friends finished college and didn't know what they wanted to do. Some went to law school for a year because of that. He has one semester left of law school and he majored in history. No connections besides needing to know legal precedents, which is why there are law clerks.

Otherwise I'm looking for suggestions really. Doesn't matter what really. If something seems interesting I'll look into it. I'll go into college not knowing and hopefully I'll find something.

12. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

So?

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Probably have a Delta Tau Chi fraternity there. He's a legacy. :D

14. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

That's how all my friends from WI never left...they went or stayed where their big siblings were because it was "comfortable" and never left to explore the world.

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

So you want to live in Indiana, to make high 6 figures, and not to have to write or do math or understand science?

Perhaps there is a wealthy soybean heiress you can marry...

16. silentownage001 thread starter macrumors regular

writing: I mean like 30 page papers. It does not appeal to me. But I know I'll have to write papers like that.

math: The math I dislike is things I learn in school that I'll never use unless I want to be an engineer of some type

science: I mean chemistry, biology, physics, etc. Yes I might need to have a basic understanding of some of it but I do not like it. There are other sciences that I do not know about that I might end up enjoying.

wow. I was too broad in my OP

17. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Instead of focusing on what you don't like figure out what you do like.

18. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Still too broad.

You mentioned video editing. There are a number of technical schools where you can study this without getting the traditional liberal arts degree. Find a career doing what you like to do. In general that usually leads to more job satisfaction than tha salary. And video editing in Indiana should not be in the same sentence as six figures.

19. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

It is if you shoot a wedding every weekend and charge them $2k for the shoot+the edit...but you'd have to be good, own gear, and have quick turnaround.

20. silentownage001 thread starter macrumors regular

what about St. Louis?

Lets see what I do like
    I've already mentioned video editing
    some graphic design but I've never done anything major so the jury's out on that one
    computers
    video games (for the record I DO NOT spend countless hours playing. mainly the weekend for a few hours)

You get the point really. Stuff that involves computers. Which will require math and science but the science is different (is it?) to what I've been learning which is what I don't like (chem, physics,bio).

21. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

How old are you?

I've just come out of university with a first class honours in TV & Film Production and I can tell you, it is EXCEPTIONALLY difficult trying to get a job, and the jobs you do get, will not be what you want to do, and they won't pay the 6 figure sums till you're not long from retiring. TV and film is a VERY difficult avenue to get into, seriously, very very difficult. Unless you are REALLY drawn to it, I'd suggest going into something else that takes your eye.

Also being an editor is the most tedious job you can have.

22. silentownage001 thread starter macrumors regular

15 and thanks now I know how difficult it is.

23. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ok, you're at a nice turning point in your life to just start to figure out what you enjoy. The one thing I will say, is do what you love, but save something that you enjoy.

I partake in making music, photography and filmmaking, but I chose filmmaking because it's the one I'm most passionate about. I'd like to do some work in music and photography, but I wouldn't like to make a career out of it because then it would suck out all the fun.

Of note, up until about a few years ago, I never came to the realisation that I've always wanted to be an architect, it's too late for me to do anything about it, but from time to time I just draw out detailed structures, I'd love to build my own home to retire in one day.

Keep an open mind and don't pounce on the first thing you find, you have to let it sink in, otherwise you'll regret it later in life when you really don't enjoy what you're doing.

I didn't mean my post to "scare" you or anything like that, I just didn't really have that kind of talk when I first made the decision to go into filmmaking, but I wish I had been told.

24. silentownage001 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. There are just so many things I don't know about that I could potentially want to do.

The reason I want to be in Indiana with my brother is because when he graduated from high school, I was 8. I hardly ever spent time with him until I was older. I hardly knew him because I barely talked to him when I was that young. Now I'm older and we're closer.

25. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You could always go live there for a few years, he may be able to set you up with some small jobs in the area to tide you over whilst you focus more on your career.