John Gruber is teasing us

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by FrenchKheldar, Jul 26, 2010.

1. FrenchKheldar macrumors member

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/07/26/the-talk-show-returns

"We’ll have much to talk about, what with the new Mac Pros (finally, right?), speed-bump iMacs, and the gorgeous new 16:9 27-inch Cinema Display that Apple might hypothetically release tomorrow."

Evil John, even though he sometimes has inside sources... I'll believe it when I'll see it though !

2. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

We'll know for real in about 15 hours. Seems like teasing though. All signs point toward September. But I'd love to be wrong about that :D

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Which signs point to September?

4. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Yeah, I don't have the time to look up all the references but from what I remember there have been multiple 'sources' saying September. I wish I had a photographic memory (my memory is more like RAM - it's all gone when the power goes off) and I hope the September rumor is wrong and it's really July 27th :D

5. rajbonham macrumors 6502

I have no idea what, but it's reeaally starting to sound like something (multiple things?) will be updated tomorrow...

6. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

What signs? The ONLY sings we have had are the rumours that are now on the front page, and that would normally indicate (going on how every other update has gone) an imminent releases.

What proof do you have to go against that and show a September update? I haven't read ANYTHING on here other then personal opinions to say an update will be September.

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

September rumour is rooted in a very inaccurate blog post on a mac site, don't worry, all the actual credible rumours indicate tomorrow.

8. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

For those that don't know when Gruber teases like this it because he has been tipped off, by his sources at Apple that IMHO extend almost to the exec level. The new Pros and a 27 inch Cinema Display WILL be released tommorow.

9. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

So who thinks the Pros will get a new external design?

10. DualShock macrumors 6502

11. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

"Credible Rumours"

I love that term. Sounds like a band name.

12. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Damn and I just ordered my refurb ACD 24" and it arrives on Wednesday. Anyone here think the 24" might see a price drop as a result of the 27" ACD entering the market? And if so, if I called Apple, would they discount my refurb?

13. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

14. DualShock macrumors 6502

If the new models really do come out, definitely worth a shot. I believe Apple has been known to do such things in the past.

15. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Update: Gruber later updated his post to also make mention of Apple's Magic Trackpad, a product that is believed to have recently received FCC approval, though no photographs of the tested Bluetooth device are available. The report said that the potential release of the trackpad is "doubly hypothetical."

16. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I'd like to believe him too. But isn't this a bit too daring for him, no pun intended? If he posts insider information like this isn't he at risk of pissing off or losing his Apple contacts? Maybe he is just teasing. I hope he's right though. Tomorrow could be very exciting.

17. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Nice, that gives me hope. They better release these products tomorrow so I don't go waiting out the 14 day return window!

Great news, er, i mean rumor. Sounds like a complete package for the working professional/prosumer: new Mac Pro, 27" ACD, and a magic trackpad. Time for Apple to squash all these anti-pro-market theories and make us believers again tomorrow!

18. DualShock macrumors 6502

Last week he referred to his "payola rep" at Apple in this article:

http://daringfireball.net/2010/07/lyons

where he was asked by this "payola rep" to write an article to dispute Dan Lyons's critique about the iPhone 4. However, he refused to do so, because he felt Lyons's article had merit.

So clearly he does have connections at Apple, and he is definitely an Apple supporter. However he also does criticize them for some of their more questionable or bone-headed decisions, and doesn't apparently suffer from doing so. (He was also at the iPhone "Antennagate" press conference, whether by direct invite or otherwise.) So I don't think this "leak" of sorts would affect his standing with Apple, even though these two scenarios are not directly related.

19. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

+1 . . . . , well, unless . . . . ;)

20. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

So what are the chances of it only being a processor and video card update?

21. DualShock macrumors 6502

If the new Xeon chips (assuming Apple didn't jump into bed with AMD) have the same pinouts as the old ones, and can use the same chipset, it's likely. But what's the use in that?

I'm guessing they'd be adding in some new stuff like USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gbps, so probably it'll be a more significant update. Though they may use the same case and general internal design, since they didn't change it from 2006 --> 2008.

I'm also hoping that the new graphics cards (*cough* 5870 *cough*) will work with 2008 Mac Pro's, which I currently have. They've been known in the past to pull a fast one on Mac Pro owners with respect to this. Knowing Apple, they'll probably sneak in some wacky stuff like EFI128 or PCIe 3.0 required or whatever.

22. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

ONLY??

What more do you need?

I'd be nice to have a case design and mobo with more hard drives/eSATA/microphone port/more USB ports/dual 16xPCIe/small HD capability (raptors/SSD)/BluRay/USB 3.0/Firewire 1600...

but apart from that WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED??

23. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

a built in iphone dock. :rolleyes: (just kidding)

24. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

More memory slots? Support for 1333MHz DIMMs.

25. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

okay so apart from not having more hard drives/eSATA/microphone port/more USB ports/dual 16xPCIe/small HD capability (raptors/SSD)/BluRay/USB 3.0/Firewire 1600/1333mhz DIMMs / not enough RAM slots, we all agree that the Mac pro is perfect and that we are blessed Apple's considering even updating the product.