John Lewis UK

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
1,803
5
UK
What a joke this store is.... I just checked their online website..........Out of the 16 Apple computers listed on the site .. they only had ONE computer in stock, one dual 2GHZ Powermac. :eek:
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,920
170
Heh heh heh... ;)

I bought mine from a store, not online. But still there were problems getting hold of it as it was the end of the line of the G4s.

I don't think they keep vast warehouses of Macs in stock.
 

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
199
0
UK
MacSA said:
What a joke this store is.... I just checked their online website..........Out of the 16 Apple computers listed on the site .. they only had ONE computer in stock, one dual 2GHZ Powermac. :eek:
I don't think they're so much an online store. Is there a JL store near you? May be best to give them a call.
 

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
4,156
26
Lincoln,UK
MacSA said:
What a joke this store is.... I just checked their online website..........Out of the 16 Apple computers listed on the site .. they only had ONE computer in stock, one dual 2GHZ Powermac. :eek:
used to go in there when i was in london to look at there macs years ago LOL
never been back since the Apple Store opened
 

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
199
0
UK
Blue Velvet said:
Oh but they are. Bought a kitchen timer from them a week or so ago...

Very nice site to use, though.
Yes they are an online store but they are more a store for visiting. It's only recently that they actually have a lot more products available to buy online and even then I don't think they have everything they sell instore. ;)
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,581
2
Randy's House
Blue Velvet said:
Heh heh heh... ;)

But still there were problems getting hold of it as it was the end of the line of the G4s.
I wasn't the only one? Yay!!

We have way too much in common for us not to run off, elope and have a bunch of kids. :rolleyes: :cool: :D
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,920
170
iGary said:
I wasn't the only one? Yay!!

We have way too much in common for us not to run off, elope and have a bunch of kids. :rolleyes: :cool: :D
Do they hold weddings at Cupertino? :)
 

Applespider

macrumors G4
Euan said:
Yes they are an online store but they are more a store for visiting. It's only recently that they actually have a lot more products available to buy online and even then I don't think they have everything they sell instore. ;)
The stores sell 400,000 different lines. The online store only has about 15,000... :eek:

As far as stock goes, we're (yes, I work there) kinda dependent on the main warehouses the same as the stores. The stores however can 'cheat' by taking fake orders so they can grab warehouse stock and leave it in their stockroom 'on reserve' while we can't. Due to other system constraints, it can also take longer for our sales to be processed and have replacement stock allocated which is something we keep looking at.

It can be a useful barometer of what's about to happen though since if Apple stop supplying us with something, it's often because it's about to EOL. Give your local JL store a call and see if they have it though - you might get it cheaper since they do local undersales which we can't. And you get the 2 year guarantee on the Macs free of charge extendable to 5 years.
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,415
124
Location Location Location
So basically, Applespider has the ability to check Apple stock and see if a product is going to be EOL'ed.

So much power. :eek:

EDIT TO ADD: What does the JL warranty on Macs cover? Is it just like AppleCare, where they cover manufacturer defects, or do they offer more, say accident protection? Why would someone get this over AppleCare? What would John Lewis do for me if I had a problem in my 4th year of my 5 years coverage?
 

Reckless

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2005
38
0
I've been waiting for the stock to change as I want to order an iBook to take advantage of their extra year warranty. I know you can go to one of their stores but I don't live near any of them and simply want one delivered.

I've been checking stock there for weeks and there's still no sign of movement. Surely JL aren't selling that many apples that they're stock is permanently allocated to their retail stores.
 

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
1,803
5
UK
Applespider said:
The stores sell 400,000 different lines. The online store only has about 15,000... :eek:

It can be a useful barometer of what's about to happen though since if Apple stop supplying us with something, it's often because it's about to EOL. Give your local JL store a call and see if they have it though - you might get it cheaper since they do local undersales which we can't. And you get the 2 year guarantee on the Macs free of charge extendable to 5 years.
LOL........going by that barometer EVERYTHING is due for an update. They havent had any eMacs for about 5 weeks.

Yeah.......the 2 year guarentee is why I wanted to get one there.....They just never have any though :(
 

Applespider

macrumors G4
Abstract said:
So basically, Applespider has the ability to check Apple stock and see if a product is going to be EOL'ed.
Sadly, it doesn't always work out but you can spot gaps in the delivery schedules that in the past have added up to new Macs coming in.

EDIT TO ADD: What does the JL warranty on Macs cover? Is it just like AppleCare, where they cover manufacturer defects, or do they offer more, say accident protection? Why would someone get this over AppleCare? What would John Lewis do for me if I had a problem in my 4th year of my 5 years coverage?
You get an extra year of coverage (through JL not Apple) for any computers for mechanical problems; I took my Powerbook back after 6 weeks because it kept crashing and they gave me a new one. The cost of the 5yr warranty is about the same as the Applecare 3yr one. I've never used it.

They do a free 5yr warranty on TVs tho which I have used in month 58 of the 60. It had been a gift to my godmother for her 60th. It broke down just before her 65th birthday. JL collected it, said it wasn't economical to repair and sent her the current equivalent free of charge. Oh yes, and left her a 'temporary' TV while they checked the old one out since she was housebound.
 

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
1,803
5
UK
Well thats weird....... I just called the nearest store (Peterborough) to enquire about the Mac mini, they didnt have any........So I asked when they might get some in, I was told that they wouldn't be stocking it any more. I wonder if they are going to stop selling Apple computers entirely - it would make sense, what with them having nothing available. I also noticed the £429 mini disappeared from the store.
 

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
1,803
5
UK
Applespider said:
We do... I'm looking at the sales figures for the past 5 weeks and we've sold and shipped some! ;)

Just that at the moment, most of it is out of stock at the main warehouse awaiting a delivery from Apple which is overdue...

You mean the 3 iBooks they've had in stock since they were released? LOL They sold them within 10 hours... i should have got one :(

And what do you make of them telling me they are no longer selling the Mac mini? :eek: :eek:
 

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
2,626
0
MacSA said:
Well thats weird....... I just called the nearest store (Peterborough) to enquire about the Mac mini, they didnt have any........So I asked when they might get some in, I was told that they wouldn't be stocking it any more. I wonder if they are going to stop selling Apple computers entirely - it would make sense, what with them having nothing available. I also noticed the £429 mini disappeared from the store.

John Lewis has done quite a big ad campaign on Apple stuff recently but it was mainly to do with iMacs and iPods. Maybe they are dropping the mini.

Their warranty sounds good - like what Apple should offer in the first place.
 

4409723

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
2,222
0
I have family who work at John Lewis and recently placed an order for a 14 inch iBook. The salesman went and checked their stock and showed me on the screen that none of the shops in the whole country had any. 200 are expected on the 26th I believe. He did say that they often do not arrive on time or at all. This hasn't been my experience; in the past when I've ordered with them they have been very pessimistic but usually come through early.
 

pmd

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2004
51
1
Melbourne (Previously UK)
Wes said:
I have family who work at John Lewis and recently placed an order for a 14 inch iBook. The salesman went and checked their stock and showed me on the screen that none of the shops in the whole country had any. 200 are expected on the 26th I believe. He did say that they often do not arrive on time or at all. This hasn't been my experience; in the past when I've ordered with them they have been very pessimistic but usually come through early.
I managed to persuade my dad to buy an iBook now that he's retired. As part of the retirement package, he got £600 worth of John Lewis vouchers. Obviously he wanted to buy the iBook there, so when he was at Bluewater yesterday he inquired about the 14" iBook. They had none in stock, and he was told it would be another month before they got any. Maybe he misheard and they meant the end of the month, which matches more closely with what you were told.

He ended up buying the iBook at the Bluewater Apple store (after phoning them to find out where they are, they're still not in the mall directory!). Now I have to advise him of what LCD TV to buy at JL (his second choice on how to spend the vouchers) :)
 

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
1,803
5
UK
Applespider said:
There is a delivery scheduled for 26 Sept as Wes says. But there was also one scheduled for 15 August which hasn't materialised yet... :(
I phoned my local branch asking about the eMac ages ago, they said there should have been a delivery too. That was probably over a month ago. Is it just an iBook delivery?
 

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
4,277
5,156
England
Applespider said:
(yes, I work there)
So how about sneaking a couple of Apple products on my wedding list that is on the John Lewis site Spidey? ;)

I'll split them 50/50.
 

4409723

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
2,222
0
Applespider said:
There is a delivery scheduled for 26 Sept as Wes says. But there was also one scheduled for 15 August which hasn't materialised yet... :(

Could you let us know if/when a shipment arrives? That way I'll know when to go pester them instore.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.