Johnson & Johnson sues Red Cross

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
0% "marketing blowback"

What an appalling publicity blunder... what can they be thinking? Surely the potential gains aren't worth the legal fees and the probable marketing blowback? Bizarre.
J&J produces so much garbage we take for granted, americans will never stop buying their stuff no matter what.

I mean, people are STILL buying SUVs, actually INCREASING the damage to our atmosphere, but who cares? :mad:

Pani

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
Chicago
You Make Good Points

You all make good points about some charities taking advantage of their situations. The American Cancer Society is another example. I personally am still going to boycott Johnson and Johnson because I think they are responsible via the Robert Woods Johnson for much of the exaggeration of the health risks of fatness. I will still use the Red Cross suit as an example of their greed. As they say in the Middle East, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." They won't get a penny of my money any longer. I CAN live without their junk quite easily. To each its own. Let the greedy duke it out among themselves. Maybe lots of interesting dirt will come out on both organizations. We just about need a good housecleaning all around, goverment, corporate American, and perhaps even nonprofits.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
The Red Cross tells their side of the story:

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=44838

It's interesting that the American Red Cross claims that it's their emblem:

American Red Cross said:
The Red Cross will vigorously defend and protect our emblem and mission.
We hope that Johnson & Johnson will act as a good corporate citizen and recognize the right of the American Red Cross to our own emblem to carry out our mission—not stand in the way.
...When, in fact, the red cross emblem was established before the existence of either organization under the Geneva Conventions and is based directly on the Swiss flag.