Joined the Mac family today

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BOSS10L, Jan 26, 2008.

1. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Well, after about a week or two of agonizing research and debating, I finally picked up a Macbook. I know there are those out there who debated for much longer than I did, but when I sat down and rationalized everything, the MB was the right laptop for me. I got the base C2D 2GHz model. I figure that for what I'm using it for (college papers and research), the MBP would be overkill. Besides, by spending a little bit on the MB now, it'll allow me to woo the family over to an iMac in the near future.

I'll upgrade the memory to 4GB in short order, and possibly add a bigger/faster HDD as well. I've been a Pee-Cee guy for so long now that it feels really weird not using Windows, but in reality, I'm quite happy. I decided to go with iWork '08 instead of office, and unless my studies require me to dual-boot into XP for something, I plan on going MS free from here on out.

Thanks for the advice and I look to the day I'll be able to pay it forward to another person wanting to make the 'switch'. :)

Quick question - I bought the 13" incase neoprene MB case. I heard people complaining about the black ones leaving marks on their MB. I got the olive one, anybody have experience with it?

2. Niko macrumors newbie

I have one of those black sleeves and it didn't leave any marks. I heard that if you wash it before you use it, the problem should be solved.

3. Usoandso macrumors member

Usoandso

Welcome to the Mac family. I'm new as well to the Mac family (little over a month) and have been happy other than the small Hard Drive. Anyway, about the Incase slip case, I have the same one for my MacBook Pro and it has not left any marks or black stains like I have also read about. I would think with the smooth plastic case on the MB that it shouldn't be a problem.

4. steinlager macrumors regular

I have the black neoprene sleeve for the MBP. No marks. Good protection. A well-worth-it buy.

5. Niko macrumors newbie

I would also suggest that you get a sturdy cushioned laptop carrier. The neoprene case is good but not completely resistant to hard hits only minor bumpss and scratches.

6. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

Welcome! I've been using an Apple computer since 1989. Enjoy never having to look for a different computer manufacturer again.:apple:

7. BOSS10L thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you do the "pre-wash-thing" before you used it?

I've got a backpack with a padded compartment just for the MB.

I tried back in '84. I pleaded with my dad for the IIC (incidentally the only time I've ever asked him for anything in my entire life), but it was a no-go. Better late than never, right? :D

8. BOSS10L thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is taking some getting used to, but I love my Mac!! I don't think I'll be wanting to use another Windows-based PC again anytime soon. :apple::D:apple:

9. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

There is a slight learning curve but once you overcome it, its SWEET.

10. auggiesurfer macrumors newbie

auggiesurfer

I got a bunch of extras i didnt order!

I just got my macbook this week! I love it. Theres a few programs for school that i'll have to run parallels for. But I bought when Apple's refurbished macbooks were reduced. The one i bought was supposed to be the 2.0 Black with an 80 gig hd, 1 gig of memory, super drive, etc. But they sent me a 2.0 ghz Black with a 120 gig hd, and 2 gigs of memory! Dont get me wrong, im not complaining. as a matter of fact im stoked!! Anyways, its good to be on the "good side" as my friend puts it. ;)

11. Domofloge macrumors regular

Domofloge

Ditto. So far it is holding up great and keeps my MB from getting beat up.. :cool:

12. DLS macrumors newbie

Enjoy your MB. I moved to Apple just before Christmas, bought the $1299 macbook. Couldn't really justify the additional $700 for the entry MBP. No regrets. After years of WinTel machines (20+ years) I finally owned up to there being a better alternative (easier to do now that Apple prices are more competitive).

I have an incase neoprene sleeve, a black one with a lime green inside (kind of a mac mullet, business on the outside, party on the inside). No marks, stains, lint, etc, on my white macbook.

13. Lorem Ipsum macrumors newbie

I bought a MacBook in Sep 2007 with no previous Mac experience. I've not looked back since and though I've owned several windows machines over the years, I'm totally smitten by Mac. in fact, i've since purchased an IMac and I wince every day when I go to work and have to face windows and the klunky, kluged machine it resides in. Hewlett Packard, Gateway, Vista, registry...bite me! I will never, ever buy another PC.

14. Yankees 4 Life macrumors 6502a

you can only upgrade to 3gb ram with 2ghz chipset

15. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

That is 100% incorrect. If it is the latest revision (using the Santa Rosa architecture) then all models, including the 2.0ghz model, support up to 4gb ram.

16. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Congratulations and welcome to the family :)
    We got our first mac (a red iMac) about 7 years ago and have enjoyed every minute of the many Macs since then. This year has been a landmark one because I have finally got rid of the last PC in my company and we're now completely Mac powered :)

17. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The more experienced you are with Windows, the harder it is to break old habits. It usually doesn't take more than 2 weeks but I suggest you get David Pogue's Switching to the Mac, or read the Mac Guides here. Welcome.

18. jeff3221 macrumors regular

Hey Congrats! I just got that same macbook a month ago and love it as well. Hey what college do you go to? My brother goes to a college in upstate new york.

19. BOSS10L thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

The more I play with the MB, the more firmly I believe that OS X is leaps and bounds above Windows. I'm typing this on our home PC right now, and just sitting down at it reminds me why I made the change. Within a few seconds of powering on my monitor, I am greeted by multiple messages from Zone-Alarm about possible virus threats, programs wishing access to the Internet, and other nonsensical crud.

I have a sneaking suspicion that a 24" iMac will be making it's way into our home in very short order, and this PC will be donated or relegated to the recycle bin. :D

I took the liberty of picking up Pogue's "The Missing Manual : Leopard Edition" the other day because his "Switching" book isn't due out until next month. It is incredibly informative, VERY well written and easy to follow. Hopefully it'll be the only book I'll need, but I'm going to check out the other one when it is released. Maybe I can get it for the wife once we buy the iMac. <devilish grin>

Even though I've been a PC guy for so long, the Mac just seems mounds more intuitive and easy to use. For years it always seemed like I was fighting against the PC to get anything done. The Mac feels like a co-collaborator rather than simply a tool to be used. Viva la Mac! :apple:

My only regrets are that I will probably have to use Fusion or Bootcamp at some point to do school work :)mad:) and that I didn't make the change years ago. I can't say how many times I almost made the switch, but didn't for one stupid reason or another.

Well, off to go play with my Mac. :cool:

20. BOSS10L thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. SUNY Brockport for now, but hopefully going to end up at either RIT or Syracuse if all the stars align (ie - finances work out).

21. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Yeah. It is funny because schools were stalwart mac supporters. Schools have always offered macs at great discounts to students. Many schools had mac only policies - as far as the learning end of computer application goes.

While I was working on my MBA, several of the classes required us to use statistics tools and linear programming tools that ran on PC only. I had a Dell Latitude at the time and I felt sorry for the Mac people at the time. Now with Parallels or Fusion for running virtual windows on Intel Macs, there is not problem.

22. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I'm still using a Windows VM cause of Office Communicator 2007 my work uses.

23. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

24. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Welcome to the Mac family! Once you see the light of the Mac, you will never want to use another PC again!

25. auggiesurfer macrumors newbie

auggiesurfer

I attend Flagler College in St. Augustine, Florida. I've lived here all my life :rolleyes: but its all good. ha.