Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Jon Stewart is set to return to Comedy Central series "The Daily Show" eight years after he stepped down and handed the reins over to Trever Noah. Stewart plans to host the series every Monday starting on February 12, with a rotating lineup of regular correspondents handling the other days.

problem-jon-stewart.jpg

The news comes three months after Apple TV+ series "The Problem With Jon Stewart" was canceled due to alleged creative differences between Stewart and Apple executives. Apple was reportedly unhappy with some of Stewart's planned guests for season 3 of the series, as well as topics related to China and artificial intelligence.

Apple initially inked a multi-year deal with Stewart in 2020, and there were two seasons of the show. Stewart explored "problems" on the current affairs series, and episodes varied from news in the national conversation to issues that were part of Stewart's advocacy work.

Stewart will be hosting the series through the 2024 election cycle. In a statement, Paramount Media Networks CEO said that Stewart is the "voice of our generation" and that he will help "make sense of the insanity and division roiling the country as we enter the election season."

Note: Due to the political or social nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Jon Stewart Returning to 'The Daily Show' After Apple TV+ Series Cancelation

Last edited:

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
"The Problem With Jon Stewart" was canceled due to alleged creative differences between Stewart and Apple executives. Apple was reportedly unhappy with some of Stewart's planned guests for season 3 of the series, as well as topics related to China and artificial intelligence.
I can’t believe they'd go so far as to cancel a show over a difference of opinion on these topics. I mean I can see why they’d want not to have a popular show on their platform ironically like/dislike something they have a clearly opposing stance on; it would just look kind of silly… but how can they maintain a catalog if everything in it has to check by their stances on any nuanced subject?

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I can’t believe they'd go so far as to cancel a show over a difference of opinion on these topics. I mean I can see why they’d want not to have a popular show on their platform ironically like/dislike something they have a clearly opposing stance on; it would just look kind of silly… but how can they maintain a catalog if everything in it has to check by their stances on any nuanced subject?

As much as that's been 'the narrative' I think the reason his show was cancelled was simpler: hardly anyone was watching it. It barely had press, didn't really break into the mainstream compared to similar 'late night' shows like Maher/Oliver, etc.

"Creative differences" sounds better than "no one cared to waste bandwidth".

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
Paramount Media Networks CEO said that Stewart is the "voice of our generation" and that he will help "make sense of the insanity and division roiling the country as we enter the election season."
Oh good I was hoping someone like him would bring clarity to what's going on in our country. I trust his analysis to be fair and unbiased just like the rest of the "comedians" made famous by mainstream network television.

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
His constant discussion on Corporate greed is so hypocritical. He commands a massive salary but talks about how greedy corporations are. He needs to look in the mirror at himself as well as the companies that employ him.
An entertainer commanding a large salary and massive corporations working in concert to enslave the working man (and woman) and effectively disenfranchise much of the populace are not at all the same thing. You're applying a false equivalency between the two that does not stand up to scrutiny.

Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
His constant discussion on Corporate greed is so hypocritical. He commands a massive salary but talks about how greedy corporations are. He needs to look in the mirror at himself as well as the companies that employ him.

You must have missed the James Okeefe video where the blackrock employee admitted that senators can be bought for $10k, to then carry out actions that make things favorable for blackrock at the expense of the country.

You must have missed when (likely) these same people tried to bribe Kari Lake to drop out of politics for two years because she wasn't working in their interests.

I'm not a leftist, but this is a huge problem. A boil that is grossly overdue for lancing. Any meme'ing (even if repetitive) can only help the tellie tube-watchers crowd.

deebinem

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Cobert Report and The Daily Show were pretty popular. What obscurity are you talking about? lol
Sure, so where was he supposed to go post that?

EDIT: And I wasn't insinuating that The Report was obscure but one could argue that the leap from The Dana Carvey Show to The Daily Show, to The Report was in itself becoming mainstream. And yes, Strangers With Candy is in there as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.