Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I forgot about that clip. I’m talking about his own monologue when he mentions Apple and steps through how corporate greed works and how it has replaced normal market capitalism. The marketplace of ideas and the media only work when people are transparent and speak truth to power. Entertainers can do that while collecting a salary from those entities they criticize. It’s fairly common in the media.

I haven't seen that but I'll take your word for it. I personally find it gross that he talks about corporate greed but works for the most profitable corporation in the world. Would you think it was ok for another celebrity to talk about how our environment is being destroyed but then received millions from Chevron to fund a romantic comedy movie? That celebrity can be critical of Chevron, but if they take money from them then they are being completely disingenuous.

And yes I realize that corporations are making trillions and Stewart is making (only) millions. It doesn't dilute the point for me though that he's still taking money from what he says is evil and needs to be stopped. But that's just me and you clearly see it differently and that is totally fine.

Macmamamac

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2015
First world nations are largely built on the backs of third world nations.

Utterly absurd, insanely racist and anti-white comment. It’s the sort of thing Stewart himself says all the time.

First world nations are first world because of their technological infrastructure. The backbone of America is still the white working class. Your high-end gadgets are not your wealth. The fact you can flush your toilet, have hot and cold clean running water, have food on the shelves, have roads, bridges and railways, have an electricity grid….this is your wealth. Who built it, who maintains it? Americans do. And mostly, it’s that most hated of all groups, the white working class who build and maintain it.

• Disagree
Reactions: HVDynamo

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
I haven't seen that but I'll take your word for it. I personally find it gross that he talks about corporate greed but works for the most profitable corporation in the world. Would you think it was ok for another celebrity to talk about how our environment is being destroyed but then received millions from Chevron to fund a romantic comedy movie? That celebrity can be critical of Chevron, but if they take money from them then they are being completely disingenuous.

And yes I realize that corporations are making trillions and Stewart is making (only) millions. It doesn't dilute the point for me though that he's still taking money from what he says is evil and needs to be stopped. But that's just me and you clearly see it differently and that is totally fine.
Well he's not working for Apple anymore so they clearly had different visions for the show going forward. That alone tells me he's probably not the shill or hypocrite you're making him out to be, but we might never know for sure. BTW, I have no problem with someone taking money from a source they are also speaking out against. We see this in our government, private corps and the media all the time. It beats the alternative of someone taking the money in exchange for silence.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Utterly absurd, insanely racist and anti-white comment. It’s the sort of thing Stewart himself says all the time.

First world nations are first world because of their technological infrastructure. The backbone of America is still the white working class. Your high-end gadgets are not your wealth. The fact you can flush your toilet, have hot and cold clean running water, have food on the shelves, have roads, bridges and railways, have an electricity grid….this is your wealth. Who built it, who maintains it? Americans do. And mostly, it’s that most hated of all groups, the white working class who build and maintain it.
Why bring race into this? Third world nations absolutely take the environmental burden for first world consumption. That is a simple fact. The 3rd world labor force also takes a lot of the burden and enjoys some benefits too. You're the one that made an economic and environmental comment about race.

Reactions: HVDynamo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.