Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Though mostly speculative, Timesonline.co.uk profiles Apple's Vice-President of Industrial Design, Jonathan Ive, as a possible successor CEO to Steve Jobs.

The author suggests that there has been some call for a plan for 'Apple after Steve Jobs', who is currently 52 years old. Jonathan Ive might be the man to take that place. Ive and Jobs are said to share a similar perfectionist attitude and are in close contact on a daily basis.
“I think Steve Jobs has found somebody in Jony who knows how to complete or even exceed his vision, and do it time and time again,” said Chee Pearlman, who hosted the event at which Mr Ive spoke four years ago.
Of course, some doubt that Ive has the charisma to replace Jobs as CEO, in what has been a very public role.

The question of Steve Jobs successor has been raised before, with one suggestion that Google's CEO Eric Schmidt might have taken a temporary role as Apple CEO back during the option-backdating scandal.

Article Link

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Seeing as Ive has come out with most of recent Apple products, you can start to understand why. However, if Ive wasnt guiding the designs, who would take his place?!

Comment

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Well, he has been my choice for a some years now.
It *seems* he has the vision, perseverance, charisma close to that of Mr. Jobs.

But.... but.... there is no 2nd Steve. Once the day comes that Steve announces his retirement, Apple shares would fall faster than a free fall.
I only hope that in the long term it wouldn't matter so much.

The biggest stuff has been done:
- Mac OS X
- Intel
- iPod
- iPhone
- iTMS

Keep up this good work for another 5 years, and I assume Steve's huge influence can start to relax...

Comment

SciTeach

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2006
NEK
They'd better get the right person or our stock will plummet the second Jobs slips on the lane at a bowling alley.

It will anyway when Steve leaves. Look at any major corporation that had a well-known CEO/leader and he they left, the stock falls.

As for charisma vs. competence: I'll choose competence. Get the 'Mac' guy to do MWSF each year for the charisma.:rolleyes:

Comment

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Jonathan Ive is a wonderful designer, but hardly the one to replace Steve. Jonathan stays away from publicity and didn't even like the publicity he received for designing the iPod.

Someone that doesn't want to be in the public eye cannot CEO a company.

Comment

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Jobs is overseeing the rise of OSX, the takeover of iPhone and the progression of Apple into a new era.

He's going nowhere.

Comment

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Hmmm maybe with training. He doesn't seem to have enough 'jerk' and 'greed' in him. His reality distortive keynote skills may also be lacking.

Comment

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Apple isn't just about the products, it's about bringing ideas of how computers and similar devices should work to the people, in a world dominated by the opposition. If Apple does not have a charismatic leader, it will flounder. Just look at its history after SJ left the first time.

Of course, it could be argued that some of Apple's leaders in that era were neither charismatic nor competent.

Comment

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
I remember seeing a video of Ive talking about industrial design (I think about the G4 iMac) he may not have the charisma of Jobs but he seemed quite passionate and personable. I think he'd make a competent replacement, although by the time jobs steps down Ive may be too old to take the helm.

Comment

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Tim Cook is the successor

When Steve was gone for a month during cancer treatment, Tim Cook took over. He has been second in command for a while now and I think he is the most likely candidate.

Comment

MLeepson

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
USA
Ive would be no doubt a good choice, but I don't think the best choice. I think the best choice is someone we won't expect.

Ive is not a trained or schooled in programming or marketing. He's an artist.

Phil Schiller wouldn't be bad.

Comment

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
I would choose competence over charisma any day.

I disagree with this. I think both are importiant and I think Ives has both. I think the head of apple needs to be incrediably down to earth. The head of a company needs to be competent but I don't think Ives would be where he is without competence.

Comment

HTrig

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2007
hes definitely not steve jobs but this interview does show that he at least wont totally collapse if interviewed

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.