Jony Ive basically confirmed an all new design next year

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blco02, Sep 7, 2016.

1. blco02 macrumors member

In the iPhone 7 design video, he said the 7 is a deliberate evolution of the original iPhone design (2g). At the end of the video, he says the 7 is "the most singular and evolved representation of this design".

"This design".

IMO that clearly means that next year they will have an all new design. As if we didn't know already.

2. macduke Suspended

macduke

I think you're reading a bit much into it, but it might be correct that this is the final design for the iPhone as we've known it. I mean, it can't significantly change at this point. Like I've always said on here, the thing will eventually be reduced to just a slab of glass and maybe one button (or perhaps a hidden button for hardware resets). And that would certainly look a bit different. The home button has always been a big part of the iPhone design. Changing the bezels in a significant way would make it look different, especially if the iconic top and bottom chin is shaved way down or removed. So the thinking is sound, but I doubt they slipped up in their marketing language. All of that stuff is carefully poured over and edited many times before he reads it.

3. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

How the heck did you interpret that into confirmation of a new design next year? ō_ô

4. westcoastcyc macrumors regular

The OP has a lot of time on his hands.

5. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It means they didn't want to redesign it this year because they are doing that next year.

So they dressed it up a little bit. Or put lipstick on a pig, depending on how you see it.

7. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I have a feeling someone in this thread is really into conspiracy theories :p

Here's another one to keep your mind going:

[​IMG]

(P.S. everyone already assumes that next years iPhone will be a different glass design)

8. tuckerjj macrumors newbie

9. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

For Apple, the iPhone 6S is an All New Design. Everything for them is an all new design. The new Apple TV remote, ALL NEW DESIGN.

New airpods wireless charging case, All new Design!!

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

That there would be a new design? Seems like that was being guessed and rumored for some time. Don't forget, the existing design is still there, so that part of it wasn't right.

11. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

Holy revived thread.

OP was wrong - explain the 8.

12. Billburns macrumors 6502

Billburns

Maybe not enough?

13. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Nothing still to this day has Surpassed to me the iPhone 5 and much faster 5s still own my 64GB 5s

14. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

I think OP thought the comment, "this design," meant that there is another.....
    this is some x-file talk here.

15. titrau macrumors 6502a

titrau

iphone X is already new design / apple wont change all till next 2-3 yrs .

6-7-8 = complete

X - XII - X III = 2017/2018/2019

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

The OP is from about a year ago.

17. Ralfi macrumors 65816

Ralfi

Give the guy some credit! Also for not blowing his own horn a year later. :D

That's 10, 12, 13 in Roman numerals. :eek:

18. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

You wouldn’t believe the different designs and mules that are used in focus and testing groups

19. tuckerjj macrumors newbie

Sure, you're absolutely right it was rumored for ages, but the OP's point (last year) was that the wording in the iPhone 7 design video hinted strongly that a completely new design (not an evolution of the existing design) would come out the following year, and it did. (He never said that a model based on the existing design wouldn't be released alongside, so he wasn't wrong there either!)

iPhone 7 design video: "We have created a product that is the most deliberate evolution of our original founding design"
    also iPhone 7 design video: "iPhone 7 is the most singular, most evolved representation of this design"

I mean seriously, it's almost screaming at us "but hey guys, we have this other design over here" which is why I was surprised that so many people made fun of the OPs prediction, and thought the post deserved some recognition.

The iPhone X design video pretty much confirms it:

"For more than a decade our intention has been to create an iPhone that is all display... This is iPhone X"

Jony Ive was clearly bursting to say this at the end of the iPhone 7 design video but had to keep his trap shut for a further year.

20. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

And a lot of imagination.

21. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

If you believe any of that, basically you’re saying Apple believes the iPhone 8 is a step back in design.

No, I think it’s pretty obvious that Apple meant "most evolved representation of this design so far". Same as when they say the current iPhone is the best iPhone ever. That doesn’t mean the next iPhone is going to be worse. It just means it’s the best out of what's already out now.

22. blco02 thread starter macrumors member

23. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Has anyone seen my straw collection? It seems somebody grasped at it. :D

Disclaimer: This reply is intended as a humorous reply. Thank you.

24. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Glad Ive didn't hint anything about next year. Am betting on no changes to the the external design of the X.