Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios7-1.jpg
The Next Web has given us a peek behind the scenes at the development of the new and controversial user interface in iOS 7.

One of the more revealing points in the piece is that Jony Ive, recently put in charge of software as well as hardware design, tapped Apple's marketing and communications team -- MarCom -- to design the look and feel of the icons. Then, with those as a guide, the iOS design teams went to work.
First of all, many of the new icons were primarily designed by members of Apple's marketing and communications department, not the app design teams. From what we've heard, SVP of Design Jony Ive (also now Apple's head of Human Interaction) brought the print and web marketing design team in to set the look and color palette of the stock app icons. They then handed those off to the app design teams who did their own work on the 'interiors', with those palettes as a guide.
The site goes on to note that the design is "firmly a 'work in progress'", and that the look and feel of the icons and other new UI bits are likely to change significantly as the iOS 7 beta proceeds.

Article Link: Jony Ive Put Apple's Marketing Team in Charge of iOS 7 Icon Design

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
The site goes on to note that the design is a "firmly a 'work in progress'", and that the look and feel of the icons and other new UI bits are likely to change significantly as the iOS 7 beta proceeds.

That's good. I think they've made a good start but the icons in particular do need some refinement.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I like the idea that stuff could actually change during the beta, some of those icons do look a little early or half baked, but I guess they're a bit too simple for my taste.

korgri

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
It is good news that it will change.

Now they can announce 10.9 will really be called "Sea Lion"

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Wow. That explains a lot indeed, but why oh why...

Apple has entire teams of excellent designers. Not hardware designers, graphic designers.

What.

Anyway, this is kind of good news. That they're saying it's a WIP is confirmation that they've heard us.

kiantech

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
They need to take them off, because everything about ios7 is great, but the icons make my eyes bleed.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Fascinating.

The bit about significant changes during the beta process makes me feel better about the icons. Even if they don't change, meh, it's just the stock apps. Then again that's the first thing you see with a new iPhone so..... well here's hoping for better icons! :D

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
I would deny responsibility for those icons also.

The site goes on to note that the design is a "firmly a 'work in progress'", and that the look and feel of the icons and other new UI bits are likely to change significantly as the iOS 7 beta proceeds.

I called this one also...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1594492/

Last edited:

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
In my short experience with iOS 7 it seems that the more "experienced" iOS user finds the new look rather... too colourful... but, the younger teenager seems to find the new look super cool.

robkubasko

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
Good. Then they can let the compass be a compass.

I hope they realize Safari needs a new icon and one that doesn't completely look like what another app on the phone does. Plus, take the red from the Music app and use it on the Calendar icon so the day and date will stick out. Plus, anyone else find the flashlight icon woefully out of place on Control Center? A simple lightbulb works. In the end, good to know these WILL change over time.

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
I really hope they do change.
Also I think something needs to be done about how the icons and text sit on the wallpaper. With the ultra light font and no drop shadow most wallpapers just look cluttered. I'm finding just putting a plain black wallpaper looks the best, which is a shame.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Phew, I thought Ive had lost his mind. I think of the cheap world of Samsung and Microsoft using iOS 7 beta 1. Please fix it.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Scary

Putting Marketing people in charge of ANYTHING critical is a bad idea. They aren't engineers, they aren't interface people, heck, they aren't even graphics and design people. Marketing is full of glorified sales people. As others have said this explains a lot.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I'm hopeful that the final product will be beautiful and functional.

I think that Apple still believes that "customers pay us to make decisions for them" but I also think there is less of the Jobs-era arrogance of "my way or the highway".

Just look at the background color "themes" that iOS 7 has...

I see Apple listening to beta feedback and adjusting the look of the OS for the better.

I hope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.