Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-Watch-Heart-Rate-Sensor-250x303.jpg
In an interview with Fast Company, former Apple employee Bob Messerschmidt, who helped design the heart rate sensors in the Apple Watch, gave some insight into what it was like working with Jony Ive and Apple's Industrial Design Group on the company's first wearable device.

After a 2010 acquisition, Messerschmidt joined the Apple Watch team, where he was in charge of designing some of the sensors for the device. In an anecdote relayed to Fast Company, during one meeting, Messerschmidt proposed putting health sensors in the Apple Watch band, an idea that was quickly shot down by the Industrial Design Group because of a desire for interchangeable bands.
One great example is [when] I went to a meeting and said I'm going to put sensors in the watch but I'm going to put them down here (he points to the underside of the Apple Watch band he's wearing) because I can get a more accurate reading on the bottom of the wrist than I can get on the top of the wrist. They (the Industrial Design group) said very quickly that "that's not the design trend; that's not the fashion trend. We want to have interchangeable bands so we don't want to have any sensors in the band."
Messerschmidt's next proposal was for sensors at the top of an Apple Watch worn tightly against the wrist, which was also nixed because "that's not how people wear watches." According to Messerschmidt, it was difficult working within the design constraints at Apple, but it pushed him to figure out "new engineering solutions" and ultimately made for a product with a superior user experience.
Engineers left in a vacuum might say "well, that's maybe not so important; we can get a better signal by doing it the other way so let's do it that way." So, left to their own devices, that would be the way the product would end up. So you have to have a really strong voice supporting the user. I think the idea of focusing on that is uniquely Apple
Messerschmidt goes on to explain other important lessons he learned from his time working at Apple and from Steve Jobs, including that user experience is "everything when it comes to consumer products," that "good enough is not good enough," and that it's important to say no "until it's just right."

Following three years at Apple and integral work on the heart rate sensor in the Apple Watch, Messerschmidt left the company to found Cor, a startup producing a device that draws blood, analyzes it, and provides near-instant health-related information.

Messerschmidt's full interview is worth checking out and can be read over at Fast Company.

Article Link: Jony Ive's Design Team Nixed Apple Watch Band With Sensors

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Interesting to read about this. The Apple Watch doesn't irk me so much any more.

When it was first introduced, I was a little surprised why they were so smug about promoting an interface similar to a '90s projector; namely, twist a wheel to zoom in. It seemed like such a close-minded and unimaginative way of getting around the limitations of the small screen. I guess a few of us were expecting an interface and aesthetic massively different to the Galaxy Gear and other wearables at the time.

In retrospect, I'm not sure what else I was expecting. And there are a lot of people here really really like it. Apple seem to have concentrated on improving the operating system and adding more functionality as well.

TL;DR: I'm happy to admit I was wrong.

ProjectManager101

Suspended
Jul 12, 2015
So... Steve Jobs was replaced by a bunch of mentally challenged show off that call themselves "design team"? Usually the garbage that takes control of a department by kissing asses and stabbing people on the back. No wonder Apple is sinking.

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'm confident Apple decided to go with an emphasis on fashion to grab the "trend setters" to normalize wearables as the first rollout phase for what the Watch is going to become. Without fashion, it's incredibly hard to get normal consumers on board with the idea. Now that it's getting out there, the tech aspect can really kick in.

Smart watches had the stigma of calculator watches a few years ago (and given some of the horrible designs I can see why).

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Thanks for the click-bait headline MR. I read the article earlier today and this guy worked on the heart rate sensor. That's what he was referring to. Your headline makes it sound like sensors in general were nixed from the watch. Totally false. How about using the headline from the original story instead of click-bait: What I Learned Working With Jony Ive's Team On The Apple Watch

Also if putting the heart rate sensor in the band would have prevented interchangeable watch bands then I'm glad Apple didn't go down that path. I change out my band regularly and according to Tim Cook most Watch owners own more than one band.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I can relate to this

I have the Apple Watch and Microsoft band , the Microsoft band captures the HR at the bottom of the wrist and Apple Watch on top. The Apple Watch HR is useless for me , I still need to wear my Microsoft band for accurate sports tracking.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
So... Steve Jobs was replaced by a bunch of mentally challenged show off that calle themselves "design team"? Usually the garbage that takes control of a department by kissing asses and stabbing people on the back. No wonder Apple is sinking.

Crumbs, talk about vitriol. It's only a watch. I'm not sure Project Manager would be the best job for you. :)

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Interesting to read about this. The Apple Watch doesn't irk me so much any more.

When it was first introduced, I was a little surprised why they were so smug about promoting an interface similar to a '90s projector; namely, twist a wheel to zoom in. It seemed like such a close-minded and unimaginative way of getting around the limitations of the small screen. I guess a few of us were expecting an interface and aesthetic massively different to the Galaxy Gear and other wearables at the time.

In retrospect, I'm not sure what else I was expecting. And there are a lot of people here really really like it. Apple seem to have concentrated on improving the operating system and adding more functionality as well.

TL;DR: I'm happy to admit I was wrong.
Ditto!

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Hah... this just in... ...late breaking watch band news...

Good story though. I was surprised that for all the speculation about battery bands and sensor bands, when the thing finally hit, it seemed a lot more toward the conservative end of the rumor spectrum. Makes sense, regardless of my dumb opinion of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.