Jot/Jot Pro Users

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Walter Bell, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Walter Bell macrumors regular

How is everyone's stylus holding ip? I haven't received mine yet, but I am beginning to get nervous after reading there Facebook. Two complaints that I've read so far are:

- disc braking off
    - disc scratching the iPads screen

Anyone having these issues?

2. glen e macrumors 68030

don't see how that's possible if you treat it like a writing instrument and not a screwdriver - after two weeks of using every day, it's perfect - and works perfect - I just ordered another. This is a real breakthru and works 200% better than any other type stylus - and I've owned them all.

and BTW, how to you scratch glass with plastic?

FB idiots.....

3. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

No. My advice is to check the disc for imperfections before using it.

4. xraytech, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

xraytech macrumors 68020

Mine is working out great for me. I've actually taken the disc off and snapped it back on.

The only negative, the screw cap has to be snitched down tightly. If you're not careful you can lose the cap easily.

5. gugy macrumors 68030

I almost bought the Bamboo stylus before I saw the Jot. Look very neat and the precision aspect is what is really making me look into buy one. The wide tip, like the Bamboo makes so hard to be precise. I have the Alupen and while it's nice is not perfect.
    The only thing is a bit of concern for me is the disc tip. Looks so awkward, but if works....

6. glen e macrumors 68030

honestly, after 5 min you forget it's there....this truly is a break thru and I own:
    boxwave
    alupen
    all the ebay knock off stuff
    faraday (many)
    nataal - (many)

all are thrown in the drawer now....the sponge/cloth tip is dead...

adonit - PLEASE give me a shirt clip!

7. gugy macrumors 68030

Cool,
    I only hear positive reviews. I guess I will give a shot. Is the Pro version worth it? I like the rubberize handle, but besides it is there anything else that makes it better?

8. dbarron macrumors newbie

The Pro is also magnetic. You can set it at the top of the screen while you're using the keyboard, making it easy to switch between the two. I use this feature all the time.

9. King Julian macrumors regular

How are you all finding the Jot for note taking, most of the reviews I have seen, appear to highlight the Jot's capability for drawing and doodling.

Style wise it looks a great accessories, there is no doubting that.

10. ctbear macrumors 6502a

My disk separated into 2 pieces after 1 day of use, and i didn't even drop it. It just separated while writing. It seems like the glue they use on the disk is too weak to hold the 2 pieces together.
    But it works really good when it's not broken, and no scratches on screen. I just wish they used a better manufacturing process for the disk.

11. xraytech macrumors 68020

I'm sure they can ship you a replacement disc.

12. ctbear macrumors 6502a

Hopefully, but probably won't happen for the next week or two. They seem to have trouble fulfilling backer shipments.

13. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

Not very good IMO. If you want to use it in class, it's accurate, but a bit loud and distracting to others. Also, I'm having issues with the disk not registering. Not sure if all of them are like this. For example, I'll do 3 strokes to write the letter H and it won't register one of the strokes. This happens pretty consistently...maybe 1x per 2-3 sentences. I tried several different apps and had others write with it...same problem.

On a side note, they're working on a new model that will work with a zagg/wrapsol which should lower the amount of noise produced while writing. If the sensitivity issue + zagg support happens...it'd be amazing.

14. dannn macrumors regular

Ah, thank you for the insight. I've wondered about how annoying the tapping may seem in class, and I guess you've answered my question.
    Also, has anyone else noticed strokes not registering? on a consistent basis as once every 2-3 sentences? Curious if this is perhaps a matter of technique or not

15. mcdowelj macrumors newbie

My Jot Pro does the same thing, not only with writing but with sketching as well. If I were to draw a circle, I could go round 2 times before it would complete. It would draw parts and skip parts on the same path.

We have 4 Jot Pros at my workplace and other 3 don't seem to have this problem. The tip also feels different when drawing. It has a duller sound when tapping the screen and seems to have a bit more drag when moving across the surface. I'm curious if this may have something to do with it, though I can't be sure.

I should point out that I have a PowerSupport crystal screen protector on my iPad. I haven't removed it to see if that was causing the issue, but like I said, I have tried multiple Jot Pros on the same iPad with the others responding better.

I'm curious if any others are experiencing the same thing.

16. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

I have two of the jot pros and they both have trouble with the inconsistent strokes. The disk has not separated but the problem is getting worse. I really like it, but the increasing lack of strokes registering is getting annoying. I wrote adonit last week and received a generic notice they had received my email, but nothing else from them on resolution.

17. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Have had the Jot Pro for only about a week and have used it for only several hours. However, I, too, have the same problem with failing to register some strokes.

As far as I can tell, the problem occurs when the Jot reaches a particularly acute angle in relation to the screen. If the stylus is held perpendicular to the screen, no problem, but if the angle is acute, the disc fails to "reorient" itself to a position parallel with the screen and the problem occurs.

I'd been using an iFaraday stylus for several months and though the best of the styluses I'd tried, (and there were about a half dozen), I'd hoped the Jot would yield a more natural writing experience with the stylus at a more acute angle.

Can't say I'm very happy with the experience so far, especially since the iFaraday I use actually glides as well and can be held at a more natural angle than the Jot.

18. glen e, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

glen e macrumors 68030

I have both the jot and jot pro and am pulling back my total endorsement for the product. I don't use a note writing program at all. I use a stylus for pushing buttons and everything else you use your finger for, and my primary use is to advance slides in Keynote. For that it's loud (taps) hard to reverse slides as not every touch is seen by the pad. I've gone back to the Faraday for that.

Still nice for being precise, like hitting small buttons like last post, editing text,etc...

19. ejfontenot macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

I lost the crosshairs on mine a week ago, kinda bummed. So I have been sans Jot Pro for a week and I miss it. I take a lot of notes at work and hate using pen and paper. Got notice of my replacement disc shipping today. I asked for more than 1, just in case it happens again. Overall, I love it. Considering ordering a second one to keep at the office and 1 in my bag.

20. Sixtafoua, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

Sixtafoua macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

mine broke the day i got it, the little metal X came off of the rest of the disk, rendering the whole thing useless. I sent out an email requesting a new disk, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. Does anybody know how much a replacement disk costs? on their website, it only says "replacement disks are available at a low fee"
    They should just sell of replacement disks off their website, because emailing them, and waiting for them to respond is annoying!!!! :mad:
    UPDATE: they got back to me, and shipped me 2 new disks for free!
    And their website has now posted a pack of 2 replacement disks for $8

21. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

If anyone is still interested, I emailed Adonit with an image of my sensitivity issues with the Jot Pro. They promptly sent me replacement disk and even gave me an extra replacement disk.

Anyways, fixed the problems I had with it. Still a bit loud though. If your having issues just send them an email. From what the emails were saying, they've been tweaking the disks and making them stronger/better.

22. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

I emailed them over a week ago and received a confirmation they had received, but nothing else. No other emails at all. How long did it take them to respond to you?

23. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Much discussion of various styluses on another forum. The insights of some of the Jot and iFaraday users there may be of some interest in this context.

It appears that the "missed strokes" problem reported by some users but not by others may stem from handwriting style rather than variation in the styluses, themselves.

Those who "write" (cursive handwriting) seem to have fewer problems with both the "noise" issue and the "missed stroke" problem than those who "print" individual letters when they write. (My own handwriting is a hodgepodge of cursive and child-like block letters developed over decades of note taking.)

The reason the noise issue is less intrusive for those who "write" notes is obvious. Less lifting and tapping going on. The "missed stroke" issue is a bit more subtle. The Jot appears to be a bit less sensitive to the beginning of a stroke than other styluses (e.g. iFaraday.) If your stroke is short, as it may be as a result of the greater "precision" the Jot allows (i.e. smaller letters), the Jot may not register at all before you lift the stylus.

A previous post on this thread illustrates the problem of writing the letter "H" with three strokes. I suspect if that letter is written cursively without lifting the Jot, the problem would not exist since the screen eventually recognizes that a single (long) stroke has been entered to create the entire letter "H."

Another somewhat confusing issue is whether the Jot enables a writer to write "thinner" strokes than other styluses. It doesn't. The width of a stroke is set by the app the writer is using, not the stylus, itself. It does, however, enable a writer to "see" the contact point of the stylus more easily and to write more accurately (at least at first) in smaller letters. That may be an advantage for the Jot but I suspect that extended use of most styluses enables a user to identify its precise "contact point." So the Jot advantage may be short-lived.

Bottom line? It appears that those who use a cursive style (as we were taught in the third grade back in the stone age) when they write may be more satisfied with the Jot than those who "block print" individual letters. (Like a first grader. And more like me. :D)

Likewise, if you're using a stylus to write very small annotations or notes (and you don't use the "magnifier" available with some apps like Notes Plus and Note Taker HD), the Jot may be a better choice than other styluses. Or at least it's likely to require less practice to identify a precise contact point.

Having said that, however, don't think the tiny nib on the Jot enables a "thinner" mark on the iPad. That's an attribute of the note taking/sketching app, not the stylus.

Finally, I can't speak to the manufacturing/quality assurance issues of the Jot. My Jot Pro appears to have a perfect disc and I still have the "missed stroke" problem. Based on others' experience, I've requested a replacement disc from Adonit but I strongly suspect it won't solve my problem with the Jot. I'm simply not the best user for the Jot. My handwriting is more suitable for the iFaraday models.

24. glen e macrumors 68030

Some of the "missed strokes" do not always happen with handwriting programs,it happens when you are using the jot to hit a button or a slide advance in Keynote. I use a stylus for that almost exclusively as I want the screen to stay clean after a few hours presenting. The jot does not work well for me in this application, the Faradys are much better at tapping the screen to make the slides advance, It seems sometime the flat disc is not "set up" (parallel) with the surface so it does not always make quick contact. Just an observation.

25. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I agree. And I've observed the same issue with the disc failing to reorient itself to be "parallel" with the screen. I think that as you move the jot, if the disc manages to come in contact with the screen before you move the tip beyond the radius of the disc it works as intended. If not, the touch registers only when the disc falls into place and touches the screen.

In short, the Jot is good for making long strokes in a deliberate fashion. It's also good for identifying the stylus contact point visually. Unfortunately, it's not as well designed for quick tapping or short, quick strokes.

All in all, it has become clear to me why Steve Jobs promoted the human finger as a substitute for a stylus. The capacitive screen of the iPad is simply not well designed to respond to the precise input of a stylus. Mr. Jobs was making lemonade out of lemons.