Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
Much discussion of various styluses on another forum. The insights of some of the Jot and iFaraday users there may be of some interest in this context.

It appears that the "missed strokes" problem reported by some users but not by others may stem from handwriting style rather than variation in the styluses, themselves.

Those who "write" (cursive handwriting) seem to have fewer problems with both the "noise" issue and the "missed stroke" problem than those who "print" individual letters when they write. (My own handwriting is a hodgepodge of cursive and child-like block letters developed over decades of note taking.)

The reason the noise issue is less intrusive for those who "write" notes is obvious. Less lifting and tapping going on. The "missed stroke" issue is a bit more subtle. The Jot appears to be a bit less sensitive to the beginning of a stroke than other styluses (e.g. iFaraday.) If your stroke is short, as it may be as a result of the greater "precision" the Jot allows (i.e. smaller letters), the Jot may not register at all before you lift the stylus.

A previous post on this thread illustrates the problem of writing the letter "H" with three strokes. I suspect if that letter is written cursively without lifting the Jot, the problem would not exist since the screen eventually recognizes that a single (long) stroke has been entered to create the entire letter "H."

Another somewhat confusing issue is whether the Jot enables a writer to write "thinner" strokes than other styluses. It doesn't. The width of a stroke is set by the app the writer is using, not the stylus, itself. It does, however, enable a writer to "see" the contact point of the stylus more easily and to write more accurately (at least at first) in smaller letters. That may be an advantage for the Jot but I suspect that extended use of most styluses enables a user to identify its precise "contact point." So the Jot advantage may be short-lived.

Bottom line? It appears that those who use a cursive style (as we were taught in the third grade back in the stone age) when they write may be more satisfied with the Jot than those who "block print" individual letters. (Like a first grader. And more like me. :D)

Likewise, if you're using a stylus to write very small annotations or notes (and you don't use the "magnifier" available with some apps like Notes Plus and Note Taker HD), the Jot may be a better choice than other styluses. Or at least it's likely to require less practice to identify a precise contact point.

Having said that, however, don't think the tiny nib on the Jot enables a "thinner" mark on the iPad. That's an attribute of the note taking/sketching app, not the stylus.

Finally, I can't speak to the manufacturing/quality assurance issues of the Jot. My Jot Pro appears to have a perfect disc and I still have the "missed stroke" problem. Based on others' experience, I've requested a replacement disc from Adonit but I strongly suspect it won't solve my problem with the Jot. I'm simply not the best user for the Jot. My handwriting is more suitable for the iFaraday models.

The missing strokes are definitely a disk issue. I have replacement disks in hand, and I can tell you that unused disks do not have that problem. After a couple days though, the "new" disk will start to develop the same issue again.
I can accept the fact that a disk like that will eventually wear out, but not this quick. I started a new disk in a class last week and it was already worn out before the class ended.

LTMK

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
NY, NY
Not sure whats the reason behind to use the stylus.. even my 5 year old can use finger to draw to write on the iPad ...

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
Not sure whats the reason behind to use the stylus.. even my 5 year old can use finger to draw to write on the iPad ...

Problem is that a 50 year old using a finger looks a lot like the effort of your five year old.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

That's like asking what is the reason for a paintbrush when you can just use finger paints.

newbiemacguy128

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2009
I emailed them over a week ago and received a confirmation they had received, but nothing else. No other emails at all. How long did it take them to respond to you?

It took like 2-3 days to respond. I'm not sure whats taking them so long to respond to you. Maybe just luck of the draw...I was one of the backers though, maybe that could be a reason? I know they fulfill orders from backers first...

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
It took like 2-3 days to respond. I'm not sure whats taking them so long to respond to you. Maybe just luck of the draw...I was one of the backers though, maybe that could be a reason? I know they fulfill orders from backers first...
Thanks. I was one of the backers too - I guess I will write again. It has been over a week now.

LTMK

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
NY, NY
That's like asking what is the reason for a paintbrush when you can just use finger paints.

Well paintbrush and finger really tells a big difference. I had the ozaki stylus for a day, then I stored it in the drawer afterwards. Maybe I should take it out and try again.

ejfontenot

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Texas
Follow-up (Broken disc)

I contacted Adonit, on 9/23 about the broken tip, which seems like forever ago. But, today, I will have 2 replacement discs arriving at home. 2 weeks, kinda long, but hey. They did as I asked, which was send me an extra with the replacement. Honestly, if they sold a pack of 5, I would buy it. I love the concept, the form factor, the magnetic attraction to my iPad2. Maybe I am in the minority, but I still love this, even with this little hiccup.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
I contacted Adonit, on 9/23 about the broken tip, which seems like forever ago. But, today, I will have 2 replacement discs arriving at home. 2 weeks, kinda long, but hey. They did as I asked, which was send me an extra with the replacement. Honestly, if they sold a pack of 5, I would buy it. I love the concept, the form factor, the magnetic attraction to my iPad2. Maybe I am in the minority, but I still love this, even with this little hiccup.

Based on others' comments about the "missed strokes" problem resulting from a faulty disc, (btw, is it "disc" or "disk"?) I also sent an email to adonit requesting a replacement, though I cannot detect any "damage" in the disc on my Jot Pro. Received notification after about five days that a package is on the way. BTW, I was not one of the original backers. Ordered my Jot Pro after it became generally available.

Just mentioning this since others seem to have had problems getting a response from Adonit.

iAmYou

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
I purchased one based on the recommendation of a review website.
They must've not used it too much. The couple of days I have had it,
It has done nothing but leave hairline scratches all over my iPad 2s screen.

I was really a bit Leary of the disc that is used on this stylus.
I would not recommend this to anyone and advise anyone who asks me about it to stay clear.

iAmYou

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
don't see how that's possible if you treat it like a writing instrument and not a screwdriver - after two weeks of using every day, it's perfect - and works perfect - I just ordered another. This is a real breakthru and works 200% better than any other type stylus - and I've owned them all.

and BTW, how to you scratch glass with plastic?

FB idiots.....

You don't scratch glass with plastic. But you do realize the iPad and iPhone do have a coating on them, and this will scratch.
You might want to add yourself to the list of people you state in your last line.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
You don't scratch glass with plastic. But you do realize the iPad and iPhone do have a coating on them, and this will scratch.
You might want to add yourself to the list of people you state in your last line.

easy there, son - show me a link where the "coating" is discussed or verified...my genius store tell me it is gorilla glass - nothing else....no coatings...

iAmYou

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
easy there, son - show me a link where the "coating" is discussed or verified...my genius store tell me it is gorilla glass - nothing else....no coatings...

Well it's a pretty well known fact, to everyone except that particular genius. It has a coating.
According to apple specs. Scoll to display and read that to your genius.
http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
And it is not confirmed by anyone that apple uses gorilla glass.

EdwinD

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
Solution to strokes not registering

I had the same problem as some before me, after a week or so i needed to press harder and harder for strokes to register. Then I remembered that I often fiddled with the disk. So I started wondering if the disk was possibly coated in order to be conductive to the capacitive screen or maybe that I had just greased it too much.

Because i coundn't find a store for the replacement discs in the Netherlands I decided to take a leap of faith and clean the disk with Palmolive dishwashing detergent (which I realise could destroy any coating), and voila! My disc is now as new and my jot responds to even the lightest touch again. So, my guess is the disk can get less responisve due to grease. So, no fiddling! ;)

I can also confirm that if the angle of the jot gets to steep then the disk no longer lies flat on the screen which causes problems as well. This I had from day one and you can easily learn to avoid that.

The jot pro is the best stylus ever, if you can get over the ticking (putting your iPad on a soft surface helps, but it might still be too disruptive for your taste).

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
...I decided to take a leap of faith and clean the disk with Palmolive dishwashing detergent (which I realise could destroy any coating), and voila! My disc is now as new and my jot responds to even the lightest touch again. So, my guess is the disk can get less responisve due to grease. So, no fiddling! ;)

Good tip. My Jot Pro is going to get the Palmolive treatment. Can't do any harm. I'm on my third disc now and the Jot is practically unusable.

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I have the jot pro (as an original backer) and my new disks arrived but I find myself more and more frustrated with the disks working for only a few days and then missed strokes (I print). I also ordered the faraday rx which seems to work better for me. I wish they would combine the writing ability of the rx with the style (size, weight, magnetized, screw on cap) of the jot pro.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
I ordered mine on Tuesday morning. Unfortunately it took until today to ship. It won't be here until the 17th. Yikes on terrible shipping times.

Looking forward to getting it.

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
I ran into the same hairline scratches issue that someone mentioned. After a few hours use, I saw that it was really leaving quite a few (15-20?) marks on my screen. Now, this is obviously not caused by the plastic itself, only something possibly jammed between the plastic and the glass, or a defect in the plastic. I asked Adonit to replace my disc and they have been very responsive to the idea, going to far as to say they will investigate the old disc under a microscope to see the problem (I honestly don't care if they do or not - it was just amusing to hear them say it).

Perhaps it's an issue with the disc, but it also might be an issue with this type of design - it may lend itself to scratching the screen.

Have other people run into the same issue? Any fixes? Once I get my new disc, I'll be carrying around a microfiber cloth and reducing the pressure I put on the disc (causing more of the tapping sound, unfortunately) - hopefully that will be enough!

nanumac

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
arctic
Bought two of these, they are great!!

I did get the skipping issue bad, but I was able to fix it myself 100% by applying some gel inside the disc base before insertion (you can even use old disk)

I saw some tried with small pieces of aluminum foil, and that worked too.

The issue is that it is not possible to keep conductivity between the disc base and the steel ball. Plastic will wear down, and then you have a malfunctioning Jot Pro.

But you can restore the conductivity with some gel, or a piece of aluminium.

----------

The plastic itself will not scratch it, but any dust particle that is hard, think stone dust, will scratch when it comes between the disc and the screen.

I don't see how you can avoid this totally, I guess screen protector film would do it.

But me, I got a 1st gen iPad and honestly don't mind some scratches. It's the nature of the beast, some things are harder then other things! Hopefully one day they can put a diamond coating on it! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.