Journaling Platform 'Day One' Transitions to a Subscription Service

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 29, 2017.

1. macintoshmac macrumors 65816

macintoshmac

Demi God? Did you just contribute to the site? :oops: I will also do that in some time.

2. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Yeah, contribute and in the private contribute only forum area you can ask for that title :)

3. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

So is anyone else sticking with the original Day One? I have it on my iPhone, iPad and MBP, and it still syncs with iCloud. I'm not sure when it was last updated, but it works fine. Just really disappointed no new features will be added, and have to hope they keep it compatible with iOS updates. Has anyone encountered any problems with iOS 11?

4. nnoble macrumors regular

I was considering staying with original but there was the issue of trust. I cut my losses and went with Dyrii (subscription but cheaper) mostly for the ability to use longhand on iPad with Apple pencil. Staying with original Day One seemed like being left on a leaky, vulnerable liferaft. They will just watch it sink or maybe even torpedo it just as soon as they can get away with it.

5. macintoshmac macrumors 65816

macintoshmac

Exactly. I couldn't use the app anymore since they went subscription because I was filled with a desire to cut ties from that subscription model.

6. BigMcGuire, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I have the original classic Day One --- but I take 1000+ photos a month (for my own personal records and memory assistance) so Day One 2's ability to store 10 (now more) photos a day was HUGE for me. So I can't really go back to Day One Classic.

I'm still using Day One 2 right now, grandfathered into the $24.99/year plan - I'm still using it now. Also, I just added a Dell Laptop to my personal machine usage which affects my desire to stay with Day One because Windows (I still have my Macbook Air).

I primarily use Google Docs right now for my journaling. Then I copy that to Day One and then use my iPhone to add step usage and photos. Very cumbersome... but I LOVE the "Past Entries on This Day." I have all my entries backed up into Dyrii too.

I'm putting my wife through college (she graduates next year) so I'm looking to cut expenses and these subscriptions add up. That and I'm moving away from Mac OS to Windows.

I put a lot of effort putting 1300+ entries into Day One from my Google Docs years back. I feel like I'd be throwing that all away if I stopped using Day One. Day One is a GREAT app, I really like it, not a fan of the subscription model but something I use a lot for $24.99/year isn't bothering me a TON at the moment.

Day One makes it super easy to look back in past entries and the most valuable thing for me is the past entries on this day. Just thinking ... $24.99/year x 5 years = $124 and the fact that my personal machines seem to be heading to Windows away from Mac make me question whether I should keep using it. If anything, I can do a bluetooth keyboard with my iPhone - which I don't mind.

The only thing I don't like about Google Docs - hard to find past entries (I basically do one Google Doc per month in its own folder, under a year folder).

7. philbo7 macrumors regular

philbo7

Another ios app to consider is Perspective: http://blinky.co/perspective_app/

This is a new free app that came out earlier this year from a couple indie developers. They are very responsive and so far have added a pass code, iCloud syncing and encryption. They encourage donations in an unobtrusive way and have a list of upcoming features you can vote for and help fund. However, you don't have to contribute and you can even add the features when available without donating. I really like the design and their take on the journaling experience with no subscription and strictly optional donations.

However, they don't yet have an import/export feature so I don't believe you can currently migrate entries without manual cutting and pasting. They encourage you to contact them and ask questions about things like this or give feedback on the program.

8. macintoshmac macrumors 65816

macintoshmac

At $25 a year, this is still digestible based on how voraciously we like it, and how much better can they actually make it. Still, even at $25 a year, I just cannot understand this phenomenon. They could bring out new features and charge $35-49 biennially and I would have been happy with it.

They could do like this:

1. DayOne v3 launched say at High Sierra launch. Charge it whatever one time.
    2. Next year, if you are not launching another version, make the current one compatible with the new Higher Sierra.
    3. Next year, when they launch v4, stop supporting v3 on the new Higher Sierra and then keep supporting v4 forward.

This kind of model has been done by software developers often. The route to subscription suggests truly lofty plans forward, something really huge, really meaningful and life-changing or life-easening coming up, which did not with DayOne.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 18, 2017 ---
    Reminds me of My Wonderful Days app. My first journal app. :p

9. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

That looks worthwhile. I was hoping there would be more suggestions for substitutes for Day One in this thread. Unfortunately, it looks like this app doesn't have an iPad version which would be essential. I'd also like a Mac OS version too, but not as important.

10. Treelo macrumors newbie

Treelo

Ok, here´s another suggestion. :)
    I happened to discover this new diary-app a few weeks ago and I´m impressed by its aesthetics and usability.

https://www.lifecraft.com/

Although I´m beginning to avoid any kind of subscription - if possible - and think those kinds of business models cannot boil down to either being able to afford software on the consumer´s side or being able to afford developing software on the dev´s side, lifecraft involves a reasonable (IMO) yearly subscription-fee of 16,49 EUR / 15 dollars a year for the mac-/iPad-/iPhone-apps.

It is capable of encryption right off the bat - a core functionality for my innermost thoughts and feelings. You can define the encryption-key by yourself, no hopefully random default like with day one.
    And it syncs with iCloud without any problems after having it used for several weeks.

It is able to embed an unlimited number of pictures (at least I think so - definitely not only 30 pics like with the day-one-premium-subscription) and is able to embed video-files as well.

You can assign an emotion from a sophisticated, color-coded range to every entry and so be able to overview your monthly "state of emotional affairs" at a glance within the calendar grid.
    You can filter emotions to have a look at the happy and the sad days for example.
    You can add tags as well.

And you can import day-one-journals - not to forget.

11. sol33t macrumors newbie

sol33t

Nope, switched to notes.app

12. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

This is actually very high on my Day One replacement list, if I was going to switch. I really like Notes and it handles photos really well.

Do you do a new note per day?

13. ukmacr macrumors newbie

I'm also interested how you use Notes to replace Day One. Can you give us an insight into how you use it?

14. macintoshmac macrumors 65816

macintoshmac

The only thing missing in notes is creation date. Many times I have accidentally destroyed a note because of an errant keystroke and now there's no way to know when I created it. So... That's the only flaw. That's why Bear, right now.

15. sol33t macrumors newbie

sol33t

Yes, and I organize it in a sub-folder and use passcode lock to keep it from showing up in search. (As well as keeping them out of view from others)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2017 ---
    Subfolder by year (Journal > 2017). One note per day... I had to discipline myself into one note per day (with dayone I was creating a new note per “thought”... I find that I’m creating better quality entries now). I passcode lock each entry.

The upside is that it’s native (no dependency on third party app)... notes.app is continually being developed... and I don’t ever have to worry about paying a subscription. I already have iCloud.

Downside? None really.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2017 ---
    I manually date it, and force myself to one entry per day.

16. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

In iOS 11, you can now sort the notes by Date Created. In Settings > Notes> Sort Notes By

17. Gelatus macrumors newbie

Gelatus

I liked Day One but I already have too many subscriptions in my life and I don't need one more.

I wouldn't mind paying a one time $50 for a really well done journaling app, but a subscription at that price is too much to swallow. I will no longer use Day One.

I've started using OneNote instead, and although it's missing some nice features of a dedicated journaling app, it mostly serves my purposes.

18. macintoshmac macrumors 65816

macintoshmac

Give a shot to Dyrii app as well. It has a very small subscription price and there's an option for onetime payment for updates to the current version number.