Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will pay $30.5 million to settle a long-running lawsuit over employee bag checks, reports Bloomberg Law. Apple initially agreed to the sum in November 2021, and now a judge has given final approval to the settlement amount.

apple-employees-trio.jpg

The class action lawsuit involves 14,683 California employees who were subjected to off-the-clock bag searches between July 25, 2009 and August 10, 2015. Apple was subjecting employees to mandatory bag checks that were described as "embarrassing and demeaning" in the class-action lawsuit, and because those checks were conducted after a shift, employees were at work for an extra 10 to 15 minutes without being paid.

Apple claimed that its bag searches ensured employees were not hiding stolen electronics in their personal belongings, and that employees who did not want to be subject to searches could leave their bags at home, but that argument did not work for Apple.

After several appeals, the court ruled that Apple had to pay California employees for the time they had spent in bag searches, and Apple in January created a website where both current and former employees could learn about the settlement and submit claims.

Article Link: Judge Approves Apple's Plan to Pay $30.5 Million to Settle Bag Check Lawsuit

• Haha
Reactions: true god

rpmurray

macrumors 68000
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
Apple was subjecting employees to mandatory bag checks that were described as "embarrassing and demeaning" in the class-action lawsuit, and because those checks were conducted after a shift, employees were at work for an extra 10 to 15 minutes without being paid.
From now on Apple will do those "embarrassing and demeaning" checks on the clock and as long as the employees get their shekels it's no longer "embarrassing and demeaning".

dragoon2745

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
I have no background in law but it always sucks to hear about these class action lawsuits only benefiting particular states and not the US as a whole. I doubt California was the only state these bag searches were occurring. That said, I'll fully acknowledge the enforceable laws in California is likely the reason why this only applied there.

Reactions: Gasu E.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
We had to go through metal detectors in Apple Cork 25 years ago. I'm glad Apple lost this and have to pay up. No wonder they down want the workforces unionising.
Same here, a similar setup to most airports. Bag goes through X-ray machine, and then you walk through a metal detector.

It never took us anything like 10 minutes, but then again I worked in a software dept. where people would be leaving at various hours, not like the assembly/PCB (or now support/sales) departments where you might have hundreds leaving at once so there would be a queue at the exits.

But the checks were needed, I heard about a lot of theft there. One guy I knew offered suggestions on how to steal even with the scanners in place (we were able to 'log out' and borrow devices from time to time, he suggested open ing them up, taping memory sticks to the interior, and getting them through the scanners that way).

Reactions: decypher44 and Huck

mjs916

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Well it is wage theft. Makes me wonder what the people will get. $2 checks after lawyer fees?
When something similar happened with an old employer of mine we got compensated for the estimated time lost based on our worked shifts. In this case they will probably look at the shifts worked per employee x 10 or 15 mins depending on what is decided and pay each person out those hours x their individual pay rate.

It’s going to be a lot of work for the payroll team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Breaking Good

ftlwolf9

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2010

Apple will pay $30.5 million to settle a long-running lawsuit over employee bag checks, reports Bloomberg Law. Apple initially agreed to the sum in November 2021, and now a judge has given final approval to the settlement amount.

apple-employees-trio.jpg

The class action lawsuit involves 14,683 California employees who were subjected to off-the-clock bag searches between July 25, 2009 and August 10, 2015. Apple was subjecting employees to mandatory bag checks that were described as "embarrassing and demeaning" in the class-action lawsuit, and because those checks were conducted after a shift, employees were at work for an extra 10 to 15 minutes without being paid.

Apple claimed that its bag searches ensured employees were not hiding stolen electronics in their personal belongings, and that employees who did not want to be subject to searches could leave their bags at home, but that argument did not work for Apple.

After several appeals, the court ruled that Apple had to pay California employees for the time they had spent in bag searches, and Apple in January created a website where both current and former employees could learn about the settlement and submit claims.

Article Link: Judge Approves Apple's Plan to Pay $30.5 Million to Settle Bag Check Lawsuit
The ugly truth is a few bad apples will steal for themselves or a competitor burdening honest employees with extra hassles - but Apple should’ve just compensated a few bucks for extra time at the security detour… odd that professionals just couldn’t have booked their time to their overall hours - must have been hourly folks? A lot of government contractors go through similar security checks and don’t seem to have as many issues as the culture at Apple… Can’t wait for Sept. 5th…

Reactions: JayTeeFox

lairdo

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2008
Handsome fellow in the middle is my former roommate. 😂

Funny!

Anyway, MacRumors always seems to use the exact same photo for Apple Store related posts. Your former roommate is probably owed backpay image rights. Might want to contact someone about that...

Reactions: arkitect

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
yet here you are

Yup, because forums are for all kinds of Apple users, not just those who high-five any attempt at excusing negative behaviour, which occurs in plenty corporations.

Sure, let’s celebrate 6 years of demeaning of the clock bag checks for almost 15000 people.

But then, how do I make this relatable to anyone who refers to a shill like Rene Ritchie as the voice of reason?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.