Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I find it more interesting that the "judge narrowed" this down.

Its not like we're the only ones getting tired ...... Seems like the judge is as well :)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It's all getting a bit crazy.

If the Candy Crush people can copyright the word 'Candy', I'm going for the word 'The'. Any use of this word will need to be authorised by me in future or Judge Judy will be notified. Thank you.

That's because your understanding seems to be quite limited.

There is no copyright on the word "Candy". There is a trademark, and the trademark is in two areas - games and clothing.

You can start building computers, sell them under the name "The", and get a trademark on the word "The" in the computer area which means Apple's next computer can call their next computer "MacPro" but not "The". And Samsung can call their watch "Gear" but not "The".

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I don't know why the Apple Corporation thinks that word suggestions is something that it can own completely. I can't even imagine for example if Ford had acted like Apple a century ago and started suing other car manufacturers for options like AC and power steering when they came along.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Wait that happened? Damn.. All parts of the IP system are really broken it seems.

Only when it is reported wrongly.
If you wanted to call your next iOS game "Candy Fun", or "Candy Attack", or something similar, to trade on the reputation of "Candy Crash", then you are affected by this. Otherwise you're not.

joepancake

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2014
Germany
The fact that this is over something as ridiculous as autocomplete just shows how these patent lawsuits have gotten out of hand. It is amazing that a company can patent something so simple. How apple was able to patent such a thing in the first place is where the real crime is. Hardware and design is a different story than this in my book.

I'd like to point out that this may seem 'so simple' from the user's point of view, but i could imagine, that coding the algorithm behind it was probably not done during lunch.

Especially Apple likes to make the technology behind its products invisible. Being stunned by the beautiful shell of Apple products and their beautiful UI (which is just the software SURFACE), people may forget that there IS incredible technology behind pretty much everything.

Personally, i would indeed see autocomplete worth patenting. Although, i don't get it why something this -nowadays- 'basic' hasn't been already patented before or -assuming that something similar HAS been patented before- how Apple's technique can be different enough to get a patent on it too.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I'd like to point out that this may seem 'so simple' from the user's point of view, but i could imagine, that coding the algorithm behind it was probably not done during lunch.

The patent has nothing to do with the algorithm to implement it, this is the problem with software patents

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

Especially Apple likes to make the technology behind its products invisible. Being stunned by the beautiful shell of Apple products and their beautiful UI (which is just the software SURFACE), people may forget that there IS incredible technology behind pretty much everything.

Personally, i would indeed see autocomplete worth patenting. Althouh, i don't get it why something this -nowadays- 'basic' hasn't been patented before or -assuming that something similar HAS been patented before- how Apple's technique can be different enough to get a patent on it too.

Autocorrect / Autocomplete certainly isn't something Apple invented and they're not trying to claim patent rights over the concept as a whole. What they have got a patent on is the specific items listed in this post

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I don't know why the Apple Corporation thinks that word suggestions is something that it can own completely. I can't even imagine for example if Ford had acted like Apple a century ago and started suing other car manufacturers for options like AC and power steering when they came along.

The funny thing is that this was also happening back in 1900s, we just didn't hear about it often and they would be expired by now.

Actually, Ford did patent several basic stuff here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/Ford_Patent_Catalog_share_-78925.html

The main difference is that Ford were being sued all over, one for infringing on a basic patent on a gasoline car (yes): http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/how-henry-ford-zapped-a-licensing-monopoly#axzz2r8REB8BY

Ford was used for infringing on an patent recently: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...ingement-on-fuel-injection-used-in-f-150.html

Apple does own the method of how to presnt suggestions based on the touch screen. It doesn't claim to own suggestions, just the presentation and how to interact with it on the touchscreen.

Here is the language:

One aspect of the invention involves a method that includes: in a first area of the touch screen, displaying a current character string being input by a user with the keyboard; in a second area of the touch screen, displaying the current character string or a portion thereof and a suggested replacement for the current character string; replacing the current character string in the first area with the suggested replacement if the user activates a delimiter key on the keyboard; replacing the current character string in the first area with the suggested replacement if the user performs a first gesture on the suggested replacement displayed in the second area; and keeping the current character string in the first area if the user performs a second gesture on the current character string or the portion thereof displayed in the second area.

Last edited:

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Lucy Koh is the only judge on the planet who ALWAYS rules in Apple's favor. In all other countries, it's so much more difficult for Apple to defend its (design) patents - and at least half of the time, Apple loses.

Must be great to be an American corporation in an American court.

Ain't she just the worst !

Every single time she sides with Apple no matter what the evidence is. Sometimes she won't even let Samsung present their evidence because it is "too damaging" CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT ??!!

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
If you're not interested, don't read it and certainly don't comment on it.

In addition to calling the story 'boring', you might notice that I also contributed an opinion on the nature of these lawsuits. I didn't just say 'Slow news day?' or something similar. So go about your business, I'm not buzzing like a fridge. ;)

The patent has nothing to do with the algorithm to implement it, this is the problem with software patents

Spot on. No one is stealing Apple's code.

Autocorrect / Autocomplete certainly isn't something Apple invented and they're not trying to claim patent rights over the concept as a whole. What they have got a patent on is the specific items listed in this post

And just imagine how crippled commercial industry would be had every nuance of every application of every idea been patented in this way over the last few centuries. Can you imagine a patent being awarded for the position of a gear stick in a car, and the mapping of the gears to the gear-stick's movement? Every car manufacturer would have had to come up with a unique way of implementing gear changes, and you'd have to relearn how to drive a car if you ever switched brands.

In principle, I like the theory behind patents—that you reward the most innovative companies for their independent research and development. But in practice the whole thing stinks.

Edit: Oops, hadn't noticed that you'd already used an illustration from the car industry before my previous comment. Hoping you don't sue!

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth
Lucy Koh is the only judge on the planet who ALWAYS rules in Apple's favor. In all other countries, it's so much more difficult for Apple to defend its (design) patents - and at least half of the time, Apple loses.

Please share case samples.

Tanegashima

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Portugal
The fact that this is over something as ridiculous as autocomplete just shows how these patent lawsuits have gotten out of hand. It is amazing that a company can patent something so simple. How apple was able to patent such a thing in the first place is where the real crime is. Hardware and design is a different story than this in my book.

If it is so simple, so why it wasn't invented before? Touch and pen-input displays have been forever, with on-screen keyboards long before the iPhone. So why didn't, for example, Microsoft, invented it for their Windows CE phones and PIM's?

It's like E=mc^2, it's simple after someone puts that in front of you, but coming up with that from nothing is a different game.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

Ain't she just the worst !

Every single time she sides with Apple no matter what the evidence is. Sometimes she won't even let Samsung present their evidence because it is "too damaging" CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT ??!!

Where were you guys when "the appeals court ruled unanimously that U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh in San Jose, Calif., made errors last year when she denied Apple's request for a court injunction against 26 Samsung products" when she "ruled Samsung did not willfully infringe Apple patents and denied additional damages" or when she tersely asked if the Apple lawyers are doing what the Toronto mayor likes to do.

What's particularly entertaining is in one of those news threads, another resident Apple skeptic is diligently telling us how correct Lucy Koh was in denying Apple's request to block some Samsung products even though the appeals court found otherwise. In this thread, the Apple skeptics are now telling us how wrong/biased judge Koh is.

You have to feel for Koh. I've seen people questioning her partialness to the case because of her Korean ethnicity, her qualifications and intelligence, and of course, that she's somehow bought out by Apple because she lives in California. I doubt she can win in the public eyes no matter what she does.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
Only when it is reported wrongly.
If you wanted to call your next iOS game "Candy Fun", or "Candy Attack", or something similar, to trade on the reputation of "Candy Crash", then you are affected by this. Otherwise you're not.

Read this, and understand exactly how the trademark system can be abused.

I mean they trademarked the word "saga" because all their games tag it on at the end of their titles. Then a game comes along that uses "saga" in its most literal, historic sense, and they're still able to say it violates their trademark. Or at least complain it does.

Quite simply, no one should be able to trademark common words. You can trademark "candy crush", "candy crush saga", but you shouldn't be able to trademark "candy" or "crush" or "saga".

The assumption, of course, is that if someone does try riding off another's reputation, it could confuse the general public. Like everyone is an idiot, and can't tell the difference between something official, and something obviously trying to create a quick buck off their name. Take Pac-Man for example. It was huge back in the day. Everyone knew who and what Pac-Man was. And the eventual release of Hack-Man or Fact-Man or whatever didn't do a thing to dilute the brand. The same thing applies here. Everyone knows what Candy Crush Saga is. So if someone were to come out with Candy Story, some people would play it, but no one would confuse the two. It's established in the public mind.

----------

If it is so simple, so why it wasn't invented before? Touch and pen-input displays have been forever, with on-screen keyboards long before the iPhone. So why didn't, for example, Microsoft, invented it for their Windows CE phones and PIM's?

It was. Autocorrect has been around practically as long as word processors. The only thing Apple should have a right to is their specific implementation, their method to achieve the end result, not the end result itself.

...which might be going on here, though I seriously doubt Samsung managed to lift Apple's implementation of autocorrect by complete accident, not unless it was incredibly generic to begin with.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Interesting how one judge can be part of what appear to be separate cases from two same companies. Once one ruling is made, any subsequent rulings can be seen as invalid due to bias or conflict of interest.

I dont think i understand the court system very well.

X38

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007

I once saw a series of patents for alphabet soup. One patent for each letter.

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013

I wonder why Koh is the only one that handles these Samsung/Apple patent disputes.

bcrider

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012

Interesting. You support protecting design elements such as rounded corners but not software elements such as autocomplete. Interesting.

In my opinion both hardware AND software elements are major factors in the overall user experience and should be protected within the confines of the current law.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009

See they do have Kangaroos in America

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Well, if the OP say that Judge Koh is the only judge that always rules in favour of Apple posting a link from other Judge that has ruled against Samsung doesn't prove anything.

Perhaps is better to post a link to rulings from Judge Koh against Apple, and she has some of them. Funny thing is that when that happens then she is in Samsung pockets or people remembers her ascendancy.

Right. A better response to the OP's characteristic knee-jerk, prejudiced and jingoistic claim, would have been to point out that Judge Koh famously struck down a good part of the jury's original damage award against Samsung, as has been reported on this site prominently.

----------

Interesting how one judge can be part of what appear to be separate cases from two same companies. Once one ruling is made, any subsequent rulings can be seen as invalid due to bias or conflict of interest.

I dont think i understand the court system very well.

You are presuming that a ruling is an indication of bias or personal interest in the litigants in a case? Why would you make that inference?

----------

Where were you guys when "the appeals court ruled unanimously that U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh in San Jose, Calif., made errors last year when she denied Apple's request for a court injunction against 26 Samsung products" when she "ruled Samsung did not willfully infringe Apple patents and denied additional damages" or when she tersely asked if the Apple lawyers are doing what the Toronto mayor likes to do.

What's particularly entertaining is in one of those news threads, another resident Apple skeptic is diligently telling us how correct Lucy Koh was in denying Apple's request to block some Samsung products even though the appeals court found otherwise. In this thread, the Apple skeptics are now telling us how wrong/biased judge Koh is.

You have to feel for Koh. I've seen people questioning her partialness to the case because of her Korean ethnicity, her qualifications and intelligence, and of course, that she's somehow bought out by Apple because she lives in California. I doubt she can win in the public eyes no matter what she does.

Great response!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.