Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I currently own an iPad Pro, Apple TV 4, iPhone 6S, iPod touch and Apple Watch but I've been for a while assessing my situation and find that bang for buck I just don't find apples HW worth it anymore, their price gouging is just getting worse.
I could get a Xbox One and Windows 10 laptop that could stream just as well if not better than my Apple HW, I also would have the advantage of using Steam which is far more compelling for indie games than the App Store.
The move to Spotify and Blu-ray Discs would also give me equal or better quality and value alternatives.
Has anyone else done this and is the grass greener?
Thanks.

Reactions: kkh786

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
On tablet side, I am still on iPad. Simply there aren't any better alternative.

On phone side, I moved to Android long time ago. Right now carrying Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P. Both are great in terms of build quality and in terms of overall user experiences. The most importantly is that the Nexus 6P is only 100 USD more than iPhone 5SE, but with much better spec. So the bang of the buck is definitely there.

I have zero interest on Apple Watch nor any smartwatch in general. So I don't care.

I am using Windows 10 way more than OS X, simply becuase Windows 10 is very good and there are tons of more apps available to Windows.

I am using Android box (HiMedia) and Google Chromecast for my media streaming needs. So I don't really need Apple TV anyway. If I need streaming media from my iPad Air 2, I can do that with Chromecast.

See, other side is so much more open than Apple's locked in solution. I rather have that then locked into Apple's system.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
The iPad is a joke now. It really is an oversized media consumption device. It overs little value to me over an iPhone 6S Plus. My old iPad Mini 2 was collecting dust and I traded it in towards a Surface Pro 4. The Pro 4 obliterates my old iPad.

I owned an Apple TV 3rd gen for a week and returned it back in 2013. I thought it was a completely expensive device for what it did. The Chromecast offered me similar features I wanted as well.

I am going to return my Apple Watch too. Don't use it as much and my Moto 360 can fill the void between now and the 2nd gen Apple Watch.

I own an X1 and think it is a good media hub. I mainly watch live TV and play games. Occasionally play blu-rays though. Good for streaming. I think Spotify is on it as well.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The iPad is a joke now. It really is an oversized media consumption device. It overs little value to me over an iPhone 6S Plus. My old iPad Mini 2 was collecting dust and I traded it in towards a Surface Pro 4. The Pro 4 obliterates my old iPad.

I owned an Apple TV 3rd gen for a week and returned it back in 2013. I thought it was a completely expensive device for what it did. The Chromecast offered me similar features I wanted as well.

I am going to return my Apple Watch too. Don't use it as much and my Moto 360 can fill the void between now and the 2nd gen Apple Watch.

I own an X1 and think it is a good media hub. I mainly watch live TV and play games. Occasionally play blu-rays though. Good for streaming. I think Spotify is on it as well.
The screen size of the ipad makes a huge difference over the 6s with certain things. I'm thinking of getting an apple watch and definitely getting a macbook and I enjoy using my apple tv. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada

iPad is still the king of the tablet from App stand point and tablet usability stand point. Surface is never a good tablet in term of tablet stand point. There are just no tablet apps for Surface and it is very awkward to use Windows on touch screen. Regardless what Windows 10 does, it is still pretty much a mouse and keyboard driven OS.

Android tablet are just not that good, but much more desktop OS like and touch optimized. There is no good apps for Android tablet as well.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
iPad is still the king of the tablet from App stand point and tablet usability stand point. Surface is never a good tablet in term of tablet stand point. There are just no tablet apps for Surface and it is very awkward to use Windows on touch screen. Regardless what Windows 10 does, it is still pretty much a mouse and keyboard driven OS.

Android tablet are just not that good, but much more desktop OS like and touch optimized. There is no good apps for Android tablet as well.
Absolutely agree.

I know someone who lugs his Surface around with keyboard cover and by the time he's got it setup (with a mouse!) he may as well be using a laptop that everyone else just opens and starts using. It's a freaking joke. All that to use his Outlook.

Me, I just sit down and pull my iPhone 6 Plus out (any smartphone will do) and look at my email.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Absolutely agree.

I know someone who lugs his Surface around with keyboard cover and by the time he's got it setup (with a mouse!) he may as well be using a laptop that everyone else just opens and starts using. It's a freaking joke. All that to use his Outlook.

Me, I just sit down and pull my iPhone 6 Plus out and look at my email.
Lugs a surface? It's no different than "lugging" a tablet of the same size. (referring to sp4, not earlier models) The keyboard cover doesn't add much to it and can be nicely used in tablet mode.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
I switched from an iPhone 6 to a Nexus 6p a few weeks ago and don't regret my decision. i don't think the grass is greener one way or another, frankly i was just bored of iOS after using it for the last 6 years so i wanted to try something new this go around. I still have my iPad mini to tinker around with iOS, so i'm not missing much

I don't understand why with quite a few people it has to be one or another, why so much arguing over operating systems, who cares?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I switched from an iPhone 6 to a Nexus 6p a few weeks ago and don't regret my decision. i don't think the grass is greener one way or another, frankly i was just bored of iOS after using it for the last 6 years so i wanted to try something new this go around. I still have my iPad mini to tinker around with iOS, so i'm not missing much

I don't understand why with quite a few people it has to be one or another, why so much arguing over operating systems, who cares?

Agreed 100% :)

The grass isn't greener. It's just slightly different grass in a slightly different field. But you may enjoy the journey to the other field anyway.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Android does have some great tablets. I still use my Nexus 7 (2013) on a regular basis and gaming is smooth on it. The Nvidia Shield which I had several days with, is an excellebt tablet too. Also played around with a Note 10, OMG that tablet was nice. Plenty excellent Android tablets with just as good quality as the iPad, and most won't break your wallet.

The only MAJOR flaw with Android tablets is standby battery life. This is a HUGE problem with Android tablets. Tablets are not meant to charge overnight like a smartphone, nor will most of us remember to. My iPad 2 and iPad Air can last about a week on standby.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Lugs a surface? It's no different than "lugging" a tablet of the same size. (referring to sp4, not earlier models) The keyboard cover doesn't add much to it and can be nicely used in tablet mode.
You picked one word that I used to critique. Ever heard of hyperbole to emphasize a point? That's a rhetorical question. I don't want your answer.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I've managed to order a 1 TB Xbox One for £229 so it'll be interesting to see how this compares to my ATV4.
I imagine the Xbox will do more as its more powerful and larger but it only emphasises what were Apple doing all those years before the release of the ATV4?
If the Xbox impresses me then I'll be jumping ship to a Windows 10 laptop or PC.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I've managed to order a 1 TB Xbox One for £229 so it'll be interesting to see how this compares to my ATV4.
I imagine the Xbox will do more as its more powerful and larger but it only emphasises what were Apple doing all those years before the release of the ATV4?
If the Xbox impresses me then I'll be jumping ship to a Windows 10 laptop or PC.

I have an Xbox One, and besides obviously gaming, it's a great multimedia device.

You can mirror the Xbox to Windows 10. This means you can play Xbox games and watch TV(or what you hook up to the HDMI port) on your Windows 10 machine anywhere in your home as long as you're on the same network. As long as you have a good connection, lag is almost non existent.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I have an Xbox One, and besides obviously gaming, it's a great multimedia device.

You can mirror the Xbox to Windows 10. This means you can play Xbox games and watch TV(or what you hook up to the HDMI port) on your Windows 10 machine anywhere in your home as long as you're on the same network. As long as you have a good connection, lag is almost non existent.
Thanks, that sounds fantastic. I can only imagine what a Xbox one and surface pro or decent Windows 10 laptop are capable of.
Can the Xbox one stream from Windows 10 as well?
Can it access video files on a laptop/desktop onto my 50" TV?

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Windows 10 can cast media to an Xbox One, I did this just yesterday. You can right click on a file and cast to device is an option

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Windows 10 can cast media to an Xbox One, I did this just yesterday. You can right click on a file and cast to device is an option
If you use the wireless display app (not sure it's out of beta) on the xbox one you can cast from your Android or iOS devices to it too. :)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Thanks, that sounds fantastic. I can only imagine what a Xbox one and surface pro or decent Windows 10 laptop are capable of.
Can the Xbox one stream from Windows 10 as well?
Can it access video files on a laptop/desktop onto my 50" TV?

I forgot to mention, if you are not near the Xbox One but still on the same network and want to mirror to Windows 10, you can just use a USB cord to plug the controller into the PC and control the interface and play games on your PC.

And yes, streaming files from PC has always been an option even in with the 360.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Android does have some great tablets. I still use my Nexus 7 (2013) on a regular basis and gaming is smooth on it. The Nvidia Shield which I had several days with, is an excellebt tablet too. Also played around with a Note 10, OMG that tablet was nice. Plenty excellent Android tablets with just as good quality as the iPad, and most won't break your wallet.

The only MAJOR flaw with Android tablets is standby battery life. This is a HUGE problem with Android tablets. Tablets are not meant to charge overnight like a smartphone, nor will most of us remember to. My iPad 2 and iPad Air can last about a week on standby.
I agree that Android has some nice tablets on the hardware front but where they lack in comparison to iPads, at least in my view is the overall software experience and abundance of quality apps.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
You should know what and how you write means everything on an anonymous online Internet forum.

You picked one word that I used to critique. Ever heard of hyperbole to emphasize a point? That's a rhetorical question. I don't want your answer.
The point I believe he was making was that you used verbiage to create an impression of a cumbersome experience when the reality is, that there is parity between the two.

Reactions: From A Buick 8

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
Thinking of trading in my iPad mini 2 towards an android tablet. What would you guys recommend? It'll mainly be used for reading, movies, youtube/netflix and games!!

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Thinking of trading in my iPad mini 2 towards an android tablet. What would you guys recommend? It'll mainly be used for reading, movies, youtube/netflix and games!!

You should probably try one out first. Sounds like your usage would be for what an iPad imo is good at: media consumption.

Reactions: apolloa and ceva321

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Well, I think the iPhone is overpriced, but for me it's the only device size wise I like and has top specs and is reliable. So I bear the brunt of that one, Touch ID is fantastic though :)

For my streaming I love Android, been playing around with the Nvidia Shield TV and its great, it works very well with Google's screen casting, which makes up for the lack of apps just about.

And I use my Sony Xperia tablet to cast to it. But I would argue my tablet was expensive also up there with the iPad Mini. I do think overall the browsing experience can be better on an iPad Plus it has the apps, but you have to buy a 64GB model ideally, for me 32GB would be perfect, but alas I can't ever see Apple brining that back to the non 'Pro' iPads.
I plan on getting an iPad Mini though maybe this year, it won't replace my Sony.

So I use a mixed bag really, with other platforms you are free to choose your price range and model, with Apple its pretty restricted on that which means they can price gouge. I have even read main stream national newspaper articles slamming Apple for price gouging, (they use that term), by keeping 16GB in their ranges. And I thought I would never see that.

But having said that my iPod Touch 6th gen is 16GB and does me fine for what I want it for and no doubt some are fine with 16GB iPads and iPhones too. It all depends on your usage.

But as for streaming, a games console is a fantastic choice and they tend to have most of the apps too. I would use my PS4 more if it didn't sound like a jet engine these days. Their is something to be said for making a bigger console and placing the power brick externally.....

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Thanks for the advice everyone, I've just received great offers on my Apple Watch and iPod touch so I'm looking forward to detaching myself from apples devices and services.
I'm looking at a nexus 6P and using google services instead.
The recent ATV4 was the final straw for me, I can't believe after all this time that's what they threw out there, it's a joke of a device coming from what's meant to be the most advanced technical company in the world.
I've come to realise after the recent iPad Pro 9.7 and ATV4 that Apple just isn't a company I want to invest in anymore.

Reactions: Wildo6882
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.