Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tanfan

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
Thinking of trading in my iPad mini 2 towards an android tablet. What would you guys recommend? It'll mainly be used for reading, movies, youtube/netflix and games!!
I love my Galaxy tab pro 12.2. Wanted a bigger screen than Apple was offering and it works great.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'll look into that one! I liked the looked of the lg g pad :)

I wouldn't recommend the LG G Pad. I had one and it was generally mediocre and some gaming performance was dire compared to iPad mini (even first gen iPad mini)

Whilst it should be in theory spec wise better, actually in use the mini offers a far better end experience. Unless you are getting it for next to nothing, I couldn't recommend it.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
@OP I just don't know if I'd do what you pondering. You've bought a lot of Apple in '15-'16 while you're not going to loose your shirt selling them you're going to loose quite a bit of money and the gain to me doesn't seem worth it. Why not slowly break from the ecosystem rather than all at once. All the devises people have brought up here are nice they're no better than what you already have they're just different.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Thinking of trading in my iPad mini 2 towards an android tablet. What would you guys recommend? It'll mainly be used for reading, movies, youtube/netflix and games!!
Why do you want to get rid of your iPad? I have had a several Android tablets. They are great but nothing comes close to my iPad so far. You can switch to Android and still keep your iPad. Just put all of your contacts and calendar out on Google. Then set your ipad to sync to Google for contacts and calendar. This way any Android phone you get will be synced with your ipad.
[doublepost=1459084740][/doublepost]
I just regret only getting the 16gb since I want to store some of the movies locally.
IMHO all tablets and phones should start at 32GB and come with an SD card for storage.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Haven't completely jumped out of the loop with Apple thanks to the iPad. Also considering iPhone SE. The first iPhone I truly want in nearly six years. Still considering it though because I haven't figured out what I can benefit from it other than excellent camera from the 6s and A9 chip. I don't need a small device as a Moto E 2015 can rectify that area or gaming device.

I'm pretty much multi-plat but I can understand jumping ship from all the price gouging. I always prefer Android first over iOS and WP in phones only. I just got a Microsoft Lumia 640 and profiting from the extra units I have. Best $30 smartphone I ever owned. No glaring weaknesses except WP. Better rear cam than my previous and more expensive phones. Just put a $21 64gb micro-sd card which matches the files on my LG. The Lumia is making reconsider NOT getting iPhone SE because I might find iPhone to be an expensive baggage and tack-on accessory I barely use since iOS is my least fav mobile OS between it, Android, and WP.

I stay with iOS when it comes to tablets only.

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
I currently own an iPad Pro, Apple TV 4, iPhone 6S, iPod touch and Apple Watch but I've been for a while assessing my situation and find that bang for buck I just don't find apples HW worth it anymore, their price gouging is just getting worse.
I could get a Xbox One and Windows 10 laptop that could stream just as well if not better than my Apple HW, I also would have the advantage of using Steam which is far more compelling for indie games than the App Store.
The move to Spotify and Blu-ray Discs would also give me equal or better quality and value alternatives.
Has anyone else done this and is the grass greener?
Thanks.
Sure...the grass is always greener! Then you get there and you find its AstroTurf fertilized with bull@@@!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The iPad is a joke now. It really is an oversized media consumption device. It overs little value to me over an iPhone 6S Plus. My old iPad Mini 2 was collecting dust and I traded it in towards a Surface Pro 4. The Pro 4 obliterates my old iPad.
I suppose this is always a subjective thing. If I had an iPhone 6S Plus I probably wouldn't see a need for an iPad. But the 6S Plus is too big for me to carry around as a phone. The iPad is my surfing the Internet device that is like my phone but a lot bigger. It bridges the gap without being inconvenient.

When you say you traded you iPad mini 2 in for a Surface a Pro 4, you must have had to put quite a bit of money extra towards it. I'm considering upgrading my iPad to the iPad Pro 9.7. The Surface Pro 4 is £250 more expensive and for me that is laptop territory. The Surface won't do what my laptop can do so for me it would be a waste of money completely. Different needs as I say.

Reactions: apolloa

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I suppose this is always a subjective thing. If I had an iPhone 6S Plus I probably wouldn't see a need for an iPad. But the 6S Plus is too big for me to carry around as a phone. The iPad is my surfing the Internet device that is like my phone but a lot bigger. It bridges the gap without being inconvenient.

When you say you traded you iPad mini 2 in for a Surface a Pro 4, you must have had to put quite a bit of money extra towards it. I'm considering upgrading my iPad to the iPad Pro 9.7. The Surface Pro 4 is £250 more expensive and for me that is laptop territory. The Surface won't do what my laptop can do so for me it would be a waste of money completely. Different needs as I say.
I use both a iPad Air 2 and Galaxy Note 4, a phablet for me is still not a replacement for a tablet.

iPads are fantastic for web browsing and media consumption, especially now that they are super slim and lite. Watching Suits on Netflix via LTE on my Air 2 is truly awesome, especially now that I got a iLuv case with a kick out stand.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I'm using Xperia Z3 Compact and I love everything about it. I don't know if it's good for games as I never play any, but it's great and fast enough for every other thing I throw at it. It also has standby time of over a week.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I use both a iPad Air 2 and Galaxy Note 4, a phablet for me is still not a replacement for a tablet.

iPads are fantastic for web browsing and media consumption, especially now that they are super slim and lite. Watching Suits on Netflix via LTE on my Air 2 is truly awesome, especially now that I got a iLuv case with a kick out stand.
I agree with you completely.
It sounds like you use your iPad for the same reason I do. I don't like big phones as I find them inconvenient but my iPad makes up by having a larger screen.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Well apart from that...
That's a pretty fundamental reason for me owning a laptop I can do all the basic stuff on my iPad which is lighter and more convenient when watching Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Why do I need to try and find other things my laptop can do over a Surface Pro 4? If it can't do the two things I have already suggested then it's not capable of replacing my laptop. For me it would just be an even more expensive tablet that I don't need as my iPad fulfils my tablet needs.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I currently own an iPad Pro, Apple TV 4, iPhone 6S, iPod touch and Apple Watch but I've been for a while assessing my situation and find that bang for buck I just don't find apples HW worth it anymore, their price gouging is just getting worse.
I could get a Xbox One and Windows 10 laptop that could stream just as well if not better than my Apple HW, I also would have the advantage of using Steam which is far more compelling for indie games than the App Store.
The move to Spotify and Blu-ray Discs would also give me equal or better quality and value alternatives.
Thanks.

I switched away from an all-Apple setup 3-4 years ago and it's been positive for me. But it obviously won't be for everyone. One of the comments higher up the thread was a recommendation not to switch out everything in one go and instead try alternative devices gradually. I would go along with that recommendation. I would not focus entirely on cost. You must have decent disposable income given the devices you own, so I would suggest you make changes only if you see another potential improvement that might result from a change.

My experience:

PC - The first change I made was switching from Mac to Windows only because I suspected it would be better for my work. This proved to be the case.
Phone - After no longer having a Mac, the need for the rest of my devices to be all-Apple became less compelling. The high cost coupled with lack of varied hardware options of iPhones was bugging me, so next I gave Android phones a try (this was long before iPhone 6; it was mainly Android's screen size and battery options that were compelling). After discovering that I like them, I've continued with Android phones ever since. But many prefer the familiarity of iPhone and immediately switch back.
Tablet - After that I tried several 8-10" Windows and Android tablets to potentially replace my iPad. This was mainly because I felt it would be useful to have a tablet which has more productivity functionality than iPad (like open file system and active digitiser capability). This was not the case. I've not found an 8-10" tablet to be a useful productivity tool regardless of OS, and continue to feel the need to have a larger-screen laptop with full Windows functionality with me most of the time. My next experiment will be changing my laptop to a 12-14" Windows 10 hybrid device (because I still want the ability to make handwritten notes and sketches, but I now feel it will be most useful to have this on my main work machine rather than a small companion tablet). I now only use my tablet for consumption purposes and feel iPad is simply the best for this usage, mainly due to the relatively limited tablet app quality and quantity on Windows and Android. So after much experimentation, I'm sticking with my iPad mini as my consumption tablet and feel very satisfied with this choice.
Media streamers: I have not tried Xbox or Playstation because I'm not a gamer, but I have used Apple TV, Chromecast, and Roku. Of these, I personally feel Roku is the best all round streamer, but know I would miss Airplay and Google Cast if I only had the Roku. So, I've got rid of the Roku and will be keeping both Apple TV and Chromecast for the foreseeable future. I no longer use Airplay-speakers / Airport-Express for audio because Airplay is not cross-platform. Instead I use Sonos.

I think the only change I've made that has had a real important benefit for me is the switch from Mac to Windows on my laptop and desktop PC. But I'm very glad that I've spent some time and money satisfying my curiosity of the pros and cons of the other non-Apple devices as well. If I didn't, the itch would probably have been bugging me for years.

Like others, I think iPad is the best tablet if you don't have productivity needs. But if you do want to try Android or just want a cheap tablet, I would suggest the Nvidea Shield Tablet K1: https://shield.nvidia.co.uk/store/tablet/k1

Excellent specs for its price, and unlike other manufacturers, Nvidea seem committed to keeping the tablet up to date.....It received Marshmallow in December. There was a good write up on The Verge recently: http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/23/11289260/nvidia-shield-tablet-k1-review-android

Last edited:
Reactions: Sedrick

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

I sold mine for $200 with a trade in. Got $100 more off with a student discount. At the end, I paid $560 in total. The keyboard ran $170 since I got the one with the fingerprint scanner. I really wanted the Core M processor.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Thanks.
For me, I've long grown tired of Apple's inbred product line and (as you say) price gouging for inferior specs and hardware compared to Android offerings. I've owned nothing but ipods, ipads and iphones for years, but I'm done with it all.

An example is the ridiculous amount of money Apple wants for a 16gig 4.7" iphone when there's a better deal by far from nearly ever other manufacturer out there. They must think they **** gold is all I can say. I've finally just had enough and am completely done with Apple. I don't mind paying a premium, but when that premium gets you far less than what everyone else offers, that's enough.

(OnePlus X, in case anyone is wondering...)

Last edited:
Reactions: steviewhy

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
If the price actually translated to euro without the taxes, SE would be very tempting because it's cute and fast. But where US gets $399 plus taxes (which can be 0 as far as I know), here it's €489. I paid €429 for a new unlocked Xperia Z5 Compact which is waterproof, uses standard microUSB for charging, has a SD slot and 32 GB base storage.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
If the price actually translated to euro without the taxes, SE would be very tempting because it's cute and fast. But where US gets $399 plus taxes (which can be 0 as far as I know), here it's €489. I paid €429 for a new unlocked Xperia Z5 Compact which is waterproof, uses standard microUSB for charging, has a SD slot and 32 GB base storage.
The specs comparison works at all levels though. If you look at cold hard specs you're not going to buy a top of the line iPhone 6S even. You'd buy an Android phone with an impressive list and still have change.

The iPhone SE will appeal to people who want a small iPhone at a lesser price than the others in the range. If you want iOS on a phone, this is the cheapest option. These phones are always more expensive in Europe and I agree it's very annoying for us consumers.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
European price also fluctuates. In Italy it's €509, Ireland €499 ...

I'm looking at the 64gb SE which is €599 here. If I could buy for €450 ($499) I would snap one up. But at €599 it changes from impulsive purchase to a considered one, especially when realistically I don't actually need one, just want.

Reactions: navaira

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
My Xbox One arrived and for only £40 more than the Apple TV4 I got a fantastic gaming and streaming machine, this box of tricks is blowing me away.
The apps and streaming quality is wonderful and I didn't know I can run my cable set-top box through it.
I also received a Chromecast for our second TV and just found out I have £20 Google Play credit to rent some movies but the streaming quality isn't as good as the Xbox One.
I've decided to keep my iPhone 6S and Apple Watch as I just don't see any better alternatives out there.
But I'll definitely be moving away from iPads and OSX laptops to a Windows 10 device.
I don't know what other people think but the grass is definitely greener.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.