Juno

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Telp, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I have just seen the movie Juno, and it is fast becoming one of my favorite movies. Not sure what about it I love so much, but its brilliant. For anyone else who has seen Juno, what do you think of it?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Unfortunately its not here at the moment, but the trailer looks good...a lot of familiar actors :)

3. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

4. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

It's not here either, not that I would've watched it anyway. :p

5. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

I saw it last week with my friend and we both left the theater unsure if it was a "good movie" but we both loved it.

6. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

At first i wasnt sure either. I knew i thought it was good, but i didnt know how i felt about it. It grew on me though.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It looks really cute -- I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for it. Thanks for the recommendation (I hadn't heard of it). :) It has a fun juxtaposition of actors I know from other contexts. It's amazing how much more like a human being that Office guy gets when he loses those glasses. :D

EDIT: It actually does seem to be playing here. I thought it would be an art release, but I'm glad to see FSL having sold it on bigger theaters. :)

8. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

9. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

From the previews i wasn't wowed, but I'm seeing it tonight with a group of friends... It seems like one of those movies that i will immediately enjoy but not want to watch again/own... We'll see :)

10. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

My friend and I have been waiting a long time to see this ovie and made the mistake trying to see it last night. It was sold out and I think I made the comment that we need another plague. Too many people at that movie theatre.
    We ended up seeing Sweeny Todd, but I'm not going to see another movie before Juno. I hear the female lead is amazing.

11. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Okay, so here I go.

I went and saw this movie with somewhat high hopes, as it was getting 5 stars across the board and many people I knew were ranting and raving about it. I went to go see it and though it had a very good plot and some very funny parts, it was not without major flaws.

While watching the movie I couldn't help but see how the dialogue was terrible. Whoever wrote the script put too much effort in trying to make it sound natural. Some of the parents in the movie I caught saying "like" in the same way as a 13 year old would use it, especially in situations that did NOT fit their established personalities. Along the same lines, the movie is not very good at establishing characters. I found that at the drop of a hat a character could do things very much outside of the personality they had been given...this is nice if the character is established as unpredictable, but these people definitely weren't. Many characters had odd reactions and sometimes I felt like in a movie in which they tried to make characters seem so natural, they definitely had their "Gilmore Girls" moments of responses that were way too quick.

Also, I found the acting was sub-par and there were many parts that were very well done and in contrast, many parts that were very poorly done.

12. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I was watching The Totally Rad Show and this seemed to be their main complaint about the movie as well. Like "a girl her age would never say that" type comments.

Anyone blown away by the soundtrack? I heard there's a band in it that could get a boost like the Shins got from Garden State.

13. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

The soundtrack was alright, but I felt that in a somewhat pathetic way to be "indie" they only used the most obscure songs possible. I only recognized 2 or 3 of them in the entire movie and I listen to some obscure music along the lines of what would be in the movie.

14. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I'm not trying to appear as the film's messiah here, but I just completely disagree. I thought the bit of character development there was in the film was a perfect fit. I think the director wanted that "quirky," unpredictable nature to define the film... It didn't seem like it was supposed to be some real world with real people. Everything seemed to suggest otherwise, that it was strange world with a picturesque facade (the adoption couple) and that people don't fit into that mold (pretty much every other character haha).

I agree that some reactions didn't fit what you thought characters *should* do, but doesn't that just show you don't everyone exactly how you think you do? That explanation fits more for me with what i outlined above.

Also in regards to the dialogue: Loved it. It wasn't supposed to be real. It was meant to be witty, unpredictable, and humorous. I don't think any of the writers tried to sound natural, that seemed the point of this movie's style!

Wouldn't it be more pathetic to use the stereotypical indie songs? Just saying :p

I think the soundtrack wasn't great and too limited, but it fit the movie. I liked the songs they chose and don't feel that picking "obscure" songs hurt the film at all. It was more how confined the genre of music was that did it for me in that regard.

-------------------------------

Overall, I really enjoyed Juno a lot. It was really entertaining, styled well, and was very funny. I don't think it was revolutionary, but it was solid and some-what offbeat film (though those off-beat films have formed their own indie subgroup so they're "on" in that regard :)). It was really strange because Juno, Juno's best friend, and her best friend's mom all looked/acted exactly like people I know in my life... Really weird.

15. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I felt that there was supposed to be some realism in it, though I guess the situation as a whole is definitely a situation that does NOT happen often in real life. I feel that the people I know can act unpredictably, but not as much as these characters did. It seemed like one second they were predictable and the next second they were doing something that seemed very out of character, more than just "unpredictable."

And I found myself laughing only a handful of times. Not to say the movie wasn't funny, because when it was funny it was very well done and it never tried to be funny when it wasn't, which was good, but many people have claimed it to be "hilarious" which I don't quite agree with. Funny, perhaps. Witty? Okay. Hilarious? No.

Yes, it would be far more pathetic to use the stereotypical indie songs, I completely agree. However, there is a middle ground, using songs from all bands that fit the mood, rather than trying to find obscure indie songs to somewhat fit the mood...I felt some songs were just not placed well or did not fit great with the scenes.

16. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

I have to agree, the whole movie was shot as if it was an indie film, but i liked it about that. I also disagree with a lot of people here. I thought a lot of the dialect, although witty, was somewhat realistic. Also, the soundtrack, although not anything amazing, fit very well with the theme of the movie.

17. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I think that how the movie was shot (cinematography, yes?) was very good, agreed it is "indie" especially with the opening scene, but I liked it.

I think the problem with the dialogue* was that it tried to be realistic and conversational too much. So much so that I found myself thinking "they wouldn't use the kind of conversational language in that situation." I guess I think they tried to make it sound so realistic that it started to sound unrealistic.

18. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Telp

I thought it was more of a, what is more realistic vs. what we are used to seeing in a movie like this. I thought it more realistic they way this movie flowed then in most movies.

19. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Funny thing is write as I was about to chime in the trailer started up.

I think juno was an interesting movie. To me while watching the movie I got this sense of "the dialogue and characters can be like this because its an 'indie' film." Most of the time I just felt confused with how should I feel about these characters, especially the couple (perhaps that is what was intended?), and when I wasn't confused I felt a love-hate relationship with Juno. At the times when I wasn't annoyed by her I started to truly feel for her, but all of sudden she was back with her wittiness that was just a little too perfect and snappy of a response for a 15 year old girl; or really anyone. Instead of the story growing on me I have actually grown to dislike it more.

With that said my mom, who had her first kid at 16 (though her story was not anything similar to this) liked the film a lot.

20. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

For those of you further interested in the soundtrack aspect, Pitchfork did an interview with Ellen Page (title character) and she discusses, among other things, how some of the music was selected for the film among other things talked about in this thread:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/47117-ellen-page-talks-ijunoi-soundtrack-kimya-dawson

Enjoy.

21. 119576 Guest

22. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

23. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Yeah, perhaps, but the interview is still really interesting and addresses a bunch of points talked about here.

24. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Well, I've finally watched Juno and it's a wonderful film.

Funny script, great performances (Ellen Page for an OSCAR? Jennifer Garner can actually act! :p ) plus a wonderful, wonderful soundtrack.

:)

25. iAthena macrumors regular

Haven't seen it yet. Something always seems to come up. I guess I'll have to wait for the DVD.