Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Jura's new Jura Anchor and carabiner setup are designed to add a little handle to the charging case of the AirPods and AirPods Pro, so you can attach it to a bag, backpack, belt loop, or keys.

The setup includes a Jura Anchor that connects to the AirPods using a "proprietary connector" designed to fit into the Lightning port of the device along with a carabiner made from ether titanium or zinc alloy.

juraanchor-800x483.png

Jura promises that the connector that it's using to attach to the charging case of the AirPods can hold 15x the weight of the AirPods. The AirPods Pro case weighs 1.61 ounces and the AirPods case weighs 1.34 ounces, so that means the Jura anchor can hold somewhere around 24 ounces at maximum.

juraanchor2.jpg

It's easy to envision a situation where the AirPods are attached to the outside of a bag and pop off from force or someone sees the AirPods hanging and just snaps them up, so this doesn't seem like the greatest solution for keys or the exterior of a bag.

juraairpods-800x450.jpg

A lot of bags have a little keyring inside designed for keys, though, or other internal loops, which would work well with the Jura Anchor if you just wanted to keep your AirPods locatable within a bag. The Jura Anchor started out as a Kickstarter project, but the company is now taking traditional orders.

The Jura Anchor with a titanium carabiner is priced at $34.99, and the Jura Anchor with a zinc alloy carabiner is priced at $24.99. Orders placed now will ship out "in early December" so be aware that there's no specific shipping date being provided at this time.

Article Link: Jura Anchor Uses the AirPods Lightning Port to Add a Carabiner

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Maaaaaybe a nifty idea for light use. Or, in concept. But NO WAY I would entrust my AirPods to whatever tension is possible within a Lightning port. Not sure how [or if] they could [can] guarantee a secure enough fit. Not early adopting on this one. Will wait to see about user reviews.

Oofda - just checked their site. Did little to instill confidence in their product, let alone their company. Lots of broken links.

Last edited:

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
I bought a little silicone case that includes a loop to attach a carabiner. $5 and the colors allow me to tell mine apart from my wife’s. That I trust. Using the charging port on my case to hold them seems like something to not trust. Plus $5 for something that does a better job is a much better price than $35 and ultimately another $150+ when I have to replace my AirPods over it.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
The lightning port is not a handle.
Hard No.
Website doesn't inspire confidence either.
Clicked on Anchor & Zinc Alloy Carabiner, got "That Page Can't Be Found".

Apple's official iPhone dock uses it as such. And that's a full-sized iPhone being tilted at an angle.

Reactions: Saipher

james@JURA

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
Hello all,

Timing is everything and this morning… it has not been in our favor. This post went live as we were making changes to our website, hence the poor experience reported here. Expect to have this resolved quickly.

Wanted to address some of the comments regarding use of the Lightning port for attachment, as we do understand this is a new concept and intimidating to those who haven’t used Anchor. The MacRumors post got it right, it’s not for every use case, but we are extremely confident in our product for those of you looking for an alternative to more restrictive cases.

Appreciate the comments, good bad and other – it is all helpful. Happy holidays! James

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
A little on the pricey side for an attachment, but I think the functionality is there as long as the AirPods are securely in place without falling off.

I think the other thing to consider with a product like this, is if you have it attached to a backpack/suitcase, you put the Airpods ‘out in the open’ for somebody to try to steal them if unattended v.s. if you had the AirPods stored /concealed in a pouch or in your pocket. Something to think about.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Try dangling the dock off your belt loop and get back to us.

Maybe you should actually try it. I just dangled my iPhone 11 Pro upside down from the Lightning connector, shook it around and it stayed on just fine.

And the laws of physics says the moment arm of the tilted iPhone is far more than anything on the plastic Airpod case with a keyring loop.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Maybe you should actually try it. I just dangled my iPhone 11 Pro upside down from the Lightning connector, shook it around and it stayed on just fine.

And the laws of physics says the moment arm of the tilted iPhone is far more than anything on the plastic Airpod case with a keyring loop.
Attach it to your belt and go about your daily routine for a week then tell us how great it is.

Reactions: tridley68

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I want to say this politely - $35/$25 seems extremely high for the functionality. Even if it’s executed to NASA specs, there’s a limit to what real life demands for a product of this type. It also leaves a huge field for lower quality foreign knock-offs, which is bad for Jura and (as always with cheap clones) potentially bad for clone buyers because whatever design and manufacturing craft and science went into the original product probably won’t be reproduced in the knock-offs - in this case potentially damaging the Lightning port, which would probably taint the Jura product as well.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Clearly you own this product and have done so. Tell us how it fails.
Your assumptions are your own.
The point of contention was on the statement "the lighting port is not a handle."
You swinging an iphone around doesn't negate that.
If you're happy swinging your devices around while connected to a docking station or some other thing more power to you.

My apologies to the vendor but this is a case of a solution which has already been solved by much cheaper, safer and widely available products such as the one below.

No worries about lighting port.
Less worries about magnetic lid popping open and Airpods spilling out.
Better protection all around.
And they do have some really slim cases so bulk should not be a concern.

61WVPMP+KEL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I want to say this politely - $35/$25 seems extremely high for the functionality. Even if it’s executed to NASA specs, there’s a limit to what real life demands for a product of this type. It also leaves a huge field for lower quality foreign knock-offs, which is bad for Jura and (as always with cheap clones) potentially bad for clone buyers because whatever design and manufacturing craft and science went into the original product probably won’t be reproduced in the knock-offs - in this case potentially damaging the Lightning port, which would probably taint the Jura product as well.

Indeed. I mentioned something prior, for a carabiner clip, regardless if it’s titanium or any other metal, this is considerably overpriced. I’d be willing to try the product, [because I like gadgetry], but not for that price. And as you said, there’s plenty of third-party options that are easily comparative in terms of security with the AirPods and functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.