Jury Duty... Again

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by EV0LUTION, Nov 12, 2008.

1. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

WTF Government!

So, I received a jury summons again. My first came when I turned 18 (this year), that was a fun birthday present. Now they sent me another for march 10th of next year. March 10th is the day after my birthday, and it happens to be over my spring break (No Mexico For Me).

I think I'm going to show up in a storm trooper costume and a tin foil hat. That should make me ineligible for future summons'.

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I have never been called to jury duty. I won't mind if I get called because my job will still pay me and I will get to see how the court system works.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

What was the exact date for your first summons? Was it the same exact date?

I ask because most states have laws stating that you can't be summoned for jury duty for a period of one year.

Either way, you could say that you are a student (because you are), or are busy during that period and postpone it. But there are ways out of jury duty.

BL.

4. EV0LUTION thread starter macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

This would be 365 days exactly. I already tried the student thing, when they found out it was over my spring break they said "Sorry, you have to come in"

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Do you already have this Mexico trip planned and paid for? If so, you can postpone your summons for being out of the country.

BL.

6. yoppie macrumors 6502a

LOL @ trooper costume and tin foil hat.

Ouch. Someone at the courthouse must have a crush on you. Hopefully, you'll get dismissed quickly.

I had my second tour of jury duty this summer and the all-day waiting (if you're not called early) sucks. Thankfully they provide free Wi-Fi and movies to keep you entertained.

7. EV0LUTION thread starter macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

nope.. I think I'm screwed. Hopefully I'll be able to get out of come February

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would lie and told them that you are a student and are not coming home that week during spring break.

As for me I apprently have gotten 2 Jury Duties while I was in school. I have not gotten one in the past year which as been great but I have a feeling if I ever get one they would quickly throw me out. They seem to not like people with college degrees or more so the more "difficult degrees" aka the college of engineering. I have a feeling that would get me out very quickly that along with some of my family back ground would cause me to get thrown out in a lot of cases

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I've been called at least a dozen times, but only managed to make it the last two (and was selected both times). Great fun, paid time away from work, instructive, and challenging to try and do a good job of it. Arizona allows for a 24-month hiatus after actually being impaneled, so I'm eligible again come February. With the wife being a LEO now though, I might get tossed at voir dire any more. :(

10. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Just show up wearing a T-shirt that says

''F*#! The law
    And Screw
    The Government''.

Your name will be permanently removed. For any jury duty for the rest of your life.:D

11. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Just call them and tell 'em that your trip to Mexico for Spring Break has already been paid for by your parents and is obviously non-refundable. Tell them as soon as you can so they can so ok when they find someone else in time...

12. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Me too, I'd love to get called for jury duty.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Either that, or they will tend you to turn your t-shirt inside out.

Refuse that, and they might send you over to the guy with the really really big hands for the cavity search. though they might tell you to leave before you get in to get to the area where you sign your name, sort of making you miss the appointed date.

Some of them have a minimum dress code on the sites. So t-shirts with words might be a problem.

14. EV0LUTION thread starter macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

It sucks, you sit in a windowsless room and debate whether a guy is guilty or not. The guy we had to deliberate on was clearly guilty, but some fat ass wanted a free diner so he wouldn't vote guilty tell we where served. I got there at 8:15 am and left at 7:00 pm.

oh I got a whole $14 for my time.

15. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I've only been called to jury duty once but I was not chosen for the case. The reason? Some guy was suing the company my Dad worked for. Once they found out my father worked for the company they quickly let me go. I called my Dad on the way home and thanked him!

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

that or the judge will just throw you in jail. Never a good idea to piss off the judge.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well last time I already told them I'm away for school, so they probably wouldn't summon me for duty.

18. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Patients come in the clinic where I work all the time wanting excuses to get out of jury duty. This one woman had some illness that would have NO way impaired her ability to sit on her ass all day and tried using it to be excused, and of course it probably worked. She, of course, was able to sit on her rear at home all day and watch TV and draw a check :rolleyes:

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I got a notice back in March saying I was on the list to potentially be called during June/July/early August, but I was never actually summoned. My father was summoned a few years ago, and I think he got $50/day, and he had to show up for two days I think.

20. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

depending how high you are on the list, you can just say "NO!" or that you have prior engagements.

21. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

ahouldnt matter, as long as you are a student you dont have to show up, at least thats how it is here. Tell them you have papers to work on or a mid term to study for.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you are self-employed it can be a right arse.

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I was called up once and could have got out of it (I was a full time student), but was keen to have a go. I spent the day in the courts waiting to be assigned a dury. Got to see the courts and was shown the ropes but in the end I was never selected. Was an interesting experience but I'm not sure I'd appreciate an extended case. Due to my occupation I'm immune from doing it ever now.

24. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I guess my dad just got lucky (if you can call it that) because the past two times he had to do jury duty was for murder cases. The last one was a huge murder case that ended up getting the guy the first death penalty in our city.

25. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked