Just a Thought - 10.7 and no disc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mofunk, Sep 1, 2011.

1. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I haven't upgraded yet. But this is just a thought. Since Lion OS10.7 is a download from the Apps store, how do you retrieve an App if it gets corrupted?

I was helping a friend re-install Address Book on their Macbook which is running 10.5. Now it was an easy re-install. Grab the system disc and locate Address Book under the Applications folder. While they were locating the files, I plopped in my MBP system disc into my computer, and saw a few things in the Applications folder. My computer came with Leopard install and a physical copy of Snow Leopard so that I can upgrade. So then I checked the folder on my Snow Leopard disc and saw more Apps in the Application folder on the disc.

I'm just wondering how do we correct/fix our computers without all this info? because we do not have a physical disc.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm assuming if you can boot into the recovery partition you can restore all of that.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You could use your Time Machine or image backup to restore an individual app.

Otherwise, although I haven't heard of anyone doing it, there should be packages within the Installer with which you could use Pacifist to retrieve individual files (though it is not currently Lion compatible, they are working on it).