Just a thought

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macingman, Sep 7, 2011.

1. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Please don't flame me.

I was just thinking with the rumors of a 3G iPod Touch and a low cost iPhone which have both circulated recently perhaps the low cost iPhone will be a 3G iPod Touch, with lower speced cameras, less ram than higher end iPhone etc and also remain at the current screen size, while the high end iPhone is upgraded and redesigned.

Just a thought, again please don't flame me.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's certainly a possibility. Nothing wrong with that idea.

3. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Would your hypothetical 3G iPod Touch be able to make and receive regular phone calls? If so, then it's not an iPod Touch is it? It becomes an iPhone, which means phasing out the iPod Touch, which is what they should be looking at doing anyway given the similarities in technology. They just need an iPhone that's as cheap to buy as a regular iPod Touch without requiring a contract.

4. macingman thread starter macrumors 68020

macingman

No. It would be an iPod Touch with a 3G data connection as per the rumors.

5. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

whether or not (if it ever does exist) it could use viber or whatsapp for voip, that might be something else entirely.

6. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I don't really see that happening. I could see a iPod with a 3G connection, but I think they would still keep the iPhone 4 as the low price iPhone and the iPhone 5 as the more expensive one.

7. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i have to agree with your logic. if youre apple, why sell 2 devices when you can sell 3 instead

8. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I'd imagine it being more of a small iPad 3G than an iPhone.

9. bloutrein macrumors regular

bloutrein

I personally don't think Apple would want to blur the boundary between two of its products. After all the iPhone and iPod Touch (though having lots of similarities) are marketed as separate products with separate USPs.

I have always thought that iPod Touch is most at risk of being cannibalized by the iPhone; (if you think about it, the iTouch is simply a defunct iPhone) =).

Again, I hold that Apple would not want to play around with the already thin boundary. :rolleyes:

10. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Never gonna' happen - the products would be far too similar.

11. Skika macrumors 68030

An iPhone which cant make calls? Nope.

12. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I got flamed for saying that this might be the last year for iPods (can't see them trashing it on 10th anniversary). And that it'll be replaced by a pre-paid, or low cost iPhone. I think it's certainly a possibility since iPods by themselves are fading fast. The touch however, is not just an iPod so they just might keep in some lo cost/pre paid phone.

13. emoore macrumors regular

The only problem with gettin rid of the iPod touch for a low cost iPhone is that most (all?) the carriers in the US and maybe elsewhere require a data package with a smart phone. There is no way they would sell as many low cost iPhones as touches with that requirement. I think a lot of iPod touch sales are to teens or pre teens that can't or don't want a data package charge every month. That's why I think the iPod touch will stick around for a long while.

14. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

No, but an iPod Touch with 3G.

15. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I wouldn't flame you for that thought.

(I might for not having a good, useful thread title though. ;) )

16. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

[​IMG]

17. Agent-P, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

But having a low cost iPhone would cut into the iPod touch market more than an iPhone 5 would. For the reasons (both quoted and my own), I think the iPod touch will be around for just a bit longer. I don't think it's reached the end of it's life yet.

In addition for being a low cost alternative without the data plans, I see the iPod touch as more of a gateway to introduce people to iOS, entrapping them in the ecosystem, and swaying them toward an iPhone. I'm willing to bet many iPhone owners went to the iPhone after owning an iPod touch.

18. macingman thread starter macrumors 68020

macingman

I was just thinking about this and you are 100% correct I remember 2 years ago all my friends/classmates had iPod Touch's now 90% have iPhone 4's and the rest 3G's or 3GS's. Only 1 has a Galaxy S II which they got yesterday only.

I don't want to go off topic but when I see the market share for smartphones I am always shocked to see Android ahead of Apple as I see iPhone's 25 times more than other smartphones on a day to day basis. I am not in the US though, I am in Australia which as I understand has a much higher number of iPhone users than the US (per capita of course).

*woops I just went completely off topic*

19. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Over here I tend to see quite a few Android phone, but I also see my fair share of iPhones. But I would have to say here on campus I see more Android phones, then iPhones, and lastly BlackBerry/Windows Phone/Palm (since I've only seen one of each as of yet in the school year).

20. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

PBF, you truly are that guy

Well played good sir :)

21. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

why do some of you think the iPod touch is "fading" or needs to be cut? it sells WELL, you can get one almost anywhere and it's a good device with adequate features...some people just want a music player and don't need a phone also some people have an android but still want to have an iTunes account...the iPod made Apple a household name I'm sure it will be around for at least another 10 years or more

22. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus