Just a Toy?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tpc784, Oct 7, 2012.

1. tpc784, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

tpc784 macrumors newbie

Anyone else annoyed when the IPT5 is described as a toy meant just for kids? Was just reading a story about the upcoming iPad mini and that it was just a matter of time before it killed the "kiddie" touch toy.

Silly comment IMO since a lot of us non-kids who are looking forward to the new touch. Thoughts??

2. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

"Engineered for maximum funness." :eek:
    Who the heck chose that as the title?

3. dchao macrumors 6502a

I wan't annoyed when Steve described my AppleTV as one of his hobbies. :D

Apple will say anything to get the maximum press attention.

4. Project538 macrumors regular

The same guy that decided the 7th gen nanos have been "Completely Renanoed" and called the new iPad "Resolutionary". I love Apple, but some of the made up marketing buzzwords plastered all over their site are downright stupid. The line "somebody better call the fun police" does not belong anywhere on the iPod touch page in my opinion. Is it a fun device? Sure! But it's more than just a kids toy.

5. StephenVT macrumors newbie

Expensive "toy"

At $300–$400, I have to believe the Apple folks have more sense than to marginalize it in this way, as some reviewers tend to do. It would be nice to see a print/tv ad campaign that highlights the practical uses of the iPod Touch without negating the "fun quotient." I remember seeing Steve Jobs introducing the Touch as a very useful device for those who don't need the phone aspect, and I think I remember hearing that this year, too. More emphasis on that would be great.

6. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

I actually liked the "Resolutionary" pun. It sounds really professional :)

7. dchao macrumors 6502a

What about the Sony PS VITA? At $350 with a 32gb card, isn't that also a "toy"? :eek:

Why shouldn't the iPT5 take on the PSV?

8. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

I really hate how EVERYTHING is being marketed as a kids toy. I know many adults, many my age who have an iPod Touch. Their kids have them as well. They have iPad's as well, so now the iPad is a toy??? I know a ton of adults who have iPad's, my cousin who is a tenured college professor was just issued one by her college, definitely wouldn't call that a toy. Don't know anyone with a PS Vita though, everyone around here is into Apple something fierce ( not a bad thing).

The best thing about the touch is that you can put a case on the IPT and it looks just like an iPhone, or is that a toy these days as well?

IMO if you are an adult the iPT is probably the "coolest toy" you can buy, try getting a 3DS as an adult in your 30's and walking around with it in public and watch people stare at you for playing a kids toy.... Yeah doesn't work too well. Nintendo just doesn't have it anymore... Sorry to anyone who is their fan.

9. StephenVT macrumors newbie

Maybe "marginalize" was a poor choice of words. I think taking on the Vita is a great marketing strategy. If I had a gripe (and I don't, really) I guess it would be with reviewers who try to denigrate the device, or Apple for sticking with it, by focusing on the kid-appeal.

10. Philalbe macrumors 6502

I don't think anyone would consider the iPod classic or other ipod models a toy, and the touch is essentially an iPod that's capable of performing a variety of additional tasks. Think about how powerful and dynamic it is compared to the old PDAs that all those serious adults used to carry around :)

11. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

The part that bugged me the most is the pictures -- I don't remember there being so many hipsters in the previous iPod touch information pages. :rolleyes:

12. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

If I was Apple I would take on Nintendo's 3DS, the iPod touch costs only a little more and offers so much more than the 3DS. Not that the touch should be marketed just for kids though, it does so much more than just educational apps so they need to market to adults who don't want to pay the high price of a data plan. But the educational apps are there, and Nintendo doesn't have them, they only have their franchise games which cost $40 each really.

From personal experience the iPT also grows with kids, while kids just outgrow Nintendo systems eventually. With the iPT you can simply install new apps when the old ones are outgrown.

I don't think taking on the Vita is a bad idea but really that is a no brainer for me, I would pick the iPT over the Vita any day. Again, the iPT does everything the Vita does and more.

IMO if you have a touch its the only portable device you need unless you travel a ton. Since I am not a heavy traveller it suits my needs just fine. Might need to keep a portable USB battery on hand though. The other devices simply can't live up to the touch for me, bored with games, you can read books on the touch or listen to music, it simply does everything.

13. SonderEber macrumors newbie

SonderEber

To some people, the "outside" world to us gadget hounds and geeks, devices like these are just fancy toys. They see it as a device for games, and games are for little kids. Not a big boy, grown up thing. Of course, many of us know this is silly, and quite foolish. First off, the iPod touch is not a "toy." Neither is the 3DS or PS Vita. Just because a device can play games, does not mean it's a toy. Toy gives the impression of something for kids. These devices are for people of all ages, from 5 to 95, and beyond.

14. Luckybobby macrumors regular

Hipsters are mainstream now, the next generation's marketing will have princesses I guaranty it. Not kidding it's going to be cool:cool:

15. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Are you quoting Apple that said the iPod Touch 5 is a "toy"? Could you please provide a link where they said this exactly?

16. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

I still play all things Nintendo, NES to 3DS. Ironically the only iOS game I have is Galaxy on Fire 2. IMO dedicated game devices are always best.

17. dchao macrumors 6502a

Agree with you totally, but iPT can easily take the casual gamers away from the traditional handheld console market. Its a PSV / 3DS plus a great camera, email, Internet, Facebook integration......

18. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Who described it as a toy? Link,please.

19. davidhao macrumors newbie

An ipod touch is usually a kid's first ios device, and it is a great gaming device. So it is not an insult for someone who has no better idea to call it a toy, but of cause it is way more than that.

20. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

Crikey my 4g touch is my mobile GTD device running OmniFocus most of it's on time...

It's about to go to my son as his first touch, and I'm most likely snagging a new one... Actually considering downgrading to 32gb this time, I've piled my music all onto my oversized "toy", the ipad..

21. bigloudbang macrumors member

Just a toy?

I know that the IPT5 is more than "just a toy", because i use mine for checking email, Twitter, listening to music AND a PDA to name a few.

22. chumawumba macrumors 6502

chumawumba

Of course it is just a toy.
    If you are gonna drop $299, might was well get an iPhone.

23. bigloudbang macrumors member

You don't get it do you?

24. mrskb macrumors member

25. Irishman macrumors 68030

The Touch is the phone without the phone, AND without the average $1440 phone charges for 24 months! The $299 you pay out of pocket for the hardware is the only equivalent part of that comparison!