Just accidentally washed my new iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Soulflower, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Soulflower macrumors regular

Soulflower

First time to ever do this! Does Apple Care cover one accident?

2. Cergman, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Only AppleCare + covers accidental damage. If you don't have that, expect to be paying upwards of $200. If you have the latest iPhone 5s, I believe the oow replacement fee is $269.

3. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

If its the regular applecare that comes with the phone then no, they dont cover accidental damage.

If its applecare+ (the $100) then you have two replacements but you pay your deductible.

In some cases, you'll have a nice genius who will change it with no cost (this applies to former case).

4. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

If you paid with your credit card, some cards have accidental damage within 90 days of purchase.

5. Soulflower thread starter macrumors regular

Soulflower

There aren't any Genius appointments available today. Will they change it without one?

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, make an appointment for another day.
    If you just walk in there without an appointment they might either refuse you or make you wait 2-3 hours till there's an opening or if someone doesn't show up.

8. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

I have personally just walked in. I have done this once when my iphone 5 took a dump on a late evening. I did not wait to make an appointment due to how I use the phone religiously for work. If the phone is workable they will make you schedule an appointment but if the phone is just not working at all they will help you out.

9. Fedmahn Kassad macrumors regular

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the iPhone 5S only eligible for AppleCare+ ?

When I was purchasing mine, AC+ was the only available option.

10. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

If you buy a iphone, they automatically give you AppleCare

If you want the added coverage you have to select AppleCare + and pay $99.00 USA

What country are you in ?

iPads also have AppleCare + as an option. Other Apple products only have AppleCare, not the plus

11. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Any new device can get it within 30 days of purchase.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

ask nice and hope for the best ... you may be surprised.

Apple is the Industry leader in customer service :apple:

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

They don't automatically give you AppleCare. You must purchase it. Also, AppleCare + is 100% available for the iPhone.

14. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Its such a shame you were walking down the road and some person on a bike knocked you over and your phone fell in a puddle ;)

15. KiwiAdventure macrumors 6502a

It's an accident washing the iPhone you don't have to dream up a lie.:eek: to have your insurance pay out.

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I think that is way harder to happen than a phone in a washing machine.

17. scottish macrumors 6502a

I've always found it strange that you call AppleCare for a warranty issue even if you didn't buy AppleCare.

18. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

All Apple devices come standard with 1 year hardware warranty (manufacture defects, not accidental damage) and 90 day phone support, which can be extended by purchasing Apple Care or Apple Care + depending on the device.

19. scottish macrumors 6502a

Yeah I know. My point was that Apple don't call this AppleCare but if you call up to arrange a warranty service the automated menu says welcome to AppleCare (or similar).

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Its such a shame that people like you sit around thinking of ways to outright lie when the truth tends to work quite well with Apple.

Because Apple offers 1 year of warranty coverage and they call it Apple Care. To extend Apple care on a computer you buy the extended coverage, still called Apple Care. To buy coverage that covers accidents, you buy Apple Care +. It takes Apple Care, adds the bonus of ****ing up and paying very little to replace your iDevice.

OP first check to see if your method of purchase offers any accidental coverage. Then go to Apple and tell them what happened and see what they say. An OOW replacement may be all you can do. Then from there, buy Apple Care +.

21. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

Has this worked before?

22. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Yes. My American Express reimbursed me for Out of warranty when my partner accidentally washed her phone in the washer. Her phone was on the bed sheets that went into the washer

23. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

I did this last year - was talking on the phone and decided to wash the bed sheets - 10 mins in the cycle I couldn't find my iPhone 5 / I was pissed no AppleCare so it costed me 229 bucks because I couldn't wait for Asurion 3 day turn around and just save 30 bucks - dropped Verizon insurance.

Since this was my first phone I had lost/ stolen or even damaged in 20 years of owning one - I didn't opt for additional coverage on my 5s either

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Definitely I lost an iPhone on a trip, and then another one got broken; Amex refunded me for both of them.

25. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

I wish I had known about this! My brother's phone was in the bed sheets and he washed his phone as well. Do all Credit Cards do this?

----------

Is Amex the only company to do this?