Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tshipley85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Nashville, TN
I know there have been a lot of these types of threads, but I wanted to see if anyone out there has done it quite like I'm envisioning/thinking about...

I currently use a 1st gen 12.9" iPad Pro (I've got a pencil, ASK, and I picked up a Logitech Create keyboard case for $15 the other day!). I've been using it for about 1.5 years, I guess. I will probably upgrade to the 3rd gen 12.9" iPP when it comes out. I feel very comfortable using it/manipulating iOS to do the things I need.

I also have a retina MacBook (2015 model) that I carry around, as well. I do love this little machine as it is super light, thin, and has plenty of power for my needs. I also share an iMac at home (base model 21.5" from a couple years ago, a bit sluggish sometimes).

I'm a music educator, so I'm generally doing a lot of document processing (I use MS Office, iWork on both the rMNP and iPP). I also do a lot of reading and occasional composing (using Finale and Sibelius, things that aren't available for iOS). In my personal time, I consume a lot of music, reading, web browsing, shopping, watching movies and tv.

My real question: I've been thinking about just carrying around the iPP and selling the rMBP. I can use the iMac at home when needed for heavier tasks. My thinking is, I'd like to purchase a second iPad, probably a used Air 2 or a 9.7" iPP to use alongside my 12.9" iPP, particularly if I'm making it my primary device. I'd probably use the 12.9" iPad Pro as more of a stand alone device on my desk while using the smaller iPad for quick tasks or as a grab and go when I need to take something quickly. What are your thoughts? Are any of you using two iPads (similar setup) on the go?

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Before selling your rMBP, I would recommend a test. Use your iPad as your primary device (at home and when out) for two weeks. Pretend like you do not own the other devices. At the end of the two weeks, see if anything brings you back to your iMAC or rMBP.

I did this test about two years ago and I haven't looked back. Mind you, I'm using an iPad Mini. It's great when out, however wish the screen was bigger when at home. I'll definitely be upgrading to the next iPad Pro if it looks anything like the iPhone X.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Just an FYI—I have found that Notion for iPad makes a pretty good substitute for Sibelius or Finale and it works great with Apple Pencil. Not entirely clear on what your workflow is, but for the composition part, that’s a pretty great app. Granted—I have not done any major projects on it quite yet, as the need as just not arisen lately, but from what I’ve seen so far, it’s pretty great and keeps getting better. I’ve also heard that the team who originally developed Sibelius and then was ousted by the company that bought it are working on new software and it will have an iPad app as well. (Not able to remember what their new project is called off the top of my head.)

I have been using iPad Pro as my main computer since the day the 9.7” came out. I recently upgraded to the 10.5” model. It gradually took over everything I used to do on my Mac. I do still have to use a Mac for my job, but only because they require me to use their gear for certain tasks. Every day it seems more and more archaic to me.

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
I’ve been playing with my iPad Pro 2017 12.9" and there are some apps that blow my mind and have made me reconsider what the iPad is capable of doing.

Working Copy, the ability to clone repos off of bitbucket, review code changes and make edits to code and push it up to bitbucket.

ProCreate, it’s like photoshop on the Mac for the iPad. Simply amazing and it can tell the difference between my finger and the Apple Pencil.

AnimatePro, it’s sort of like flash for animation. You can create puppets animate and lip sync the puppets to their dialog. I’m still learning the software but it seems extremely powerful.

LumaFusion, it’s like Premire on the Mac on the iPad. This has been a very impressive video editing tool. I haven’t run into anything that makes me feel like I’m being limited because I’m on my iPad and not my iMac.

I still can’t personally replace my Mac because I need VMWare Fusion and my Crestron, AMX and Microsoft Visual Studio tools fay to day. However in the creative sector I think the iPad is if not very close is fully capable of replacing the Mac. This blows my mind because when I was in college a computer to do this sort of thing was huge with CRT screens that doubled as boat anchors. They cost a lot of money, took up a lot of space in a room and used a lot more power.

In another 10 years I wouldn’t be surprised if the trend continues.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
My real question: I've been thinking about just carrying around the iPP and selling the rMBP. I can use the iMac at home when needed for heavier tasks. My thinking is, I'd like to purchase a second iPad, probably a used Air 2 or a 9.7" iPP to use alongside my 12.9" iPP, particularly if I'm making it my primary device. I'd probably use the 12.9" iPad Pro as more of a stand alone device on my desk while using the smaller iPad for quick tasks or as a grab and go when I need to take something quickly. What are your thoughts? Are any of you using two iPads (similar setup) on the go?

I’m not a music educator, but a technical educator.

I absolutely use something similar. I have the 12.9” which usually stays at home or at the desk (though it depends on what i’m doing... occasionally I will bring it along). I also have the 9.7” Pro which is my “carry along” iPad, and the Mini 4 for “quick use” (most people would probably use their phone for those tasks but I prefer the bigger screen).

The 9.7” absolutely gets more use, but sometimes having the bigger screen is better! Everything is synced up via the cloud so there’s no confusion on which device something is on. The 12.9” is WiFi only, and the 9.7” Pro is LTE.

It’s kind of a dream setup for me. I have a Windows laptop as well, but it’s pretty stationary - the 9.7” Pro does all of my mobile work. I used to have a MacBook, but I gave it to my girlfriend to use Logic for her music. I kind of miss my Mac and may pick up a used MacBook Air or maybe even a MacBook to replace the Surface Pro 3 (it’s getting a little long in the tooth).

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
If both are fully paid for and you would not be in any financial burden I'd keep both. IMO the 'full size' MBP 15", 12.9 IPad Pro and even the smaller 9.7 air2 are designed to compliment each other rather than really replace.

I'd say my iPad Pro is now getting majority of usage but I still need my MBP for Logic Pro, downconverting 4K movie clips and other 'truck-Like things' while the touch screen iPad Pro fills in the gap not unlike a surface pro, some more productivity than the 9.7 air 2 I have but still can be picked up and held like a tablet. Finally my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6s for all other tasks (like bathroom reading duty , etc)

Try using only one or the other as others have recommended and you'll know your answer.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
As much as I love the iPad, if you type a lot of documents, nothing beats a regular laptop yet where you can just open the lid and go and not having to fiddle around with placing a smart keyboard, etc.

If you find yourself not bringing your Macbook with you all the time (with the iPad replacing it), then yes, it looks like you can ditch the Macbook. That's what I do, selling my loved 11" Macbook Air for a 10.5" iPad Pro.

Reactions: kissymac7

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Can’t say I understand the 2 iPads idea.

Although - do you not have a smart phone?

My + series iPhone pretty much replaced my iPad mini.

It doesn’t really sound like you need the MacBook, I would sell it or repurpose it (use as an HTPC and cancel cable?), and just stick with the iPad Pro.

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
My 10.5” IPP has replaced my 2011 11” MBA which was my work horse computer that I brought with me to work every day and used as a main computer at home. I used to bring my old ipad 4th generation along with me to work (nutrition counseling) to show handouts and such to my clients. Since I got the new ipad, it has taken over all of those roles. No need to carry around the additional ipad and its portable enough to set up on a desk and take around with me where ever I go.

I still use the MBA for the occasional WebEx meeting that I need to use screen sharing (hopefully iOS 11 makes this work on iPad) but otherwise I think most people are fine with ipad as their one and only device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.