Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
I'm sitting here typing this post on my brand new iPad Pro (9.7, 128GB, space grey). I'm already loving the big screen! I bought this from Verizon today after spending a week playing with it at Best Buy. I just watched some Apple Pencil videos on YouTube.. I may be buying a pencil and a Smart Keyboard cover this week :)

F1_addict

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2016
Orange County, CA
I feel you. Typing this on my iPP 9.7, 128, space grey, that I bought from Verizon yesterday. That $250 discount made it an upgrade I couldn't refuse. I'm also mulling over the pencil. I have a Mac Bluetooth keyboard that I'm not presently using, that will work won't it? I don't really need to take a keyboard on the go, just for home.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
I feel you. Typing this on my iPP 9.7, 128, space grey, that I bought from Verizon yesterday. That $250 discount made it an upgrade I couldn't refuse. I'm also mulling over the pencil. I have a Mac Bluetooth keyboard that I'm not presently using, that will work won't it? I don't really need to take a keyboard on the go, just for home.
Yep, the Apple Magic Keyboard should work just fine with the iPP, at least mine did with my iPad mini. The advantage of the Smart Keyboard cover is that data and power are both sent through the smart connector on the side of the iPad Pro rather than via Bluetooth.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
I just bought 128gb 9.7" space grey Cellular version. Also got the pencil although I'm no artist but was impressed with it enough to buy anyways. This thing kills my mini 4. Very happy. Got the silicon charcoal gray case but didn't decide yet on the regular Smart Cover or the keyboard. Price was getting too high for all of this so thought would wait a bit.

Reactions: ardchoille50

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I just bought 128gb 9.7" space grey Cellular version. Also got the pencil although I'm no artist but was impressed with it enough to buy anyways. This thing kills my mini 4. Very happy. Got the silicon charcoal gray case but didn't decide yet on the regular Smart Cover or the keyboard. Price was getting too high for all of this so thought would wait a bit.

IMO, the back cover isn't worth the price. If you have money to spare, it could be nice, but you can get back covers from Amazon starting around $10.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Congrats and enjoy your new baby.

While not an owner, I do like the smart cover as its thing, sleek and folds so you can use it on a desk - I'm not sure if it works well in your lap with the keyboard however.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland

While not an owner, I do like the smart cover as its thing, sleek and folds so you can use it on a desk - I'm not sure if it works well in your lap with the keyboard however.

First of all, welcome to the club, enjoy your new toy.

I don't know about the 9.7" keyboard with it being a little smaller, but I type a lot with my 12.9" Smart Keyboard on my lap. Every day in fact and I find it plenty stable.

I'd imagine the 9.7" to be much the same, you just might have to keep your knees closer together :D

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
My plan was to buy the iPad Pro and then save up money for a Mac Mini to use as a desktop machine. But, I really don't think I need a Mac now - this iPad Pro looks like it will suffice as an all-around system.

philpalmiero

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2010
NOVA

What $250 discount? Please explain. Thanks.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
My plan was to buy the iPad Pro and then save up money for a Mac Mini to use as a desktop machine. But, I really don't think I need a Mac now - this iPad Pro looks like it will suffice as an all-around system.

Aye it's a powerful wee beastie with an absolute ton of potential. It's a great alternative to a traditional computer, I know a few folk who've gone down the same route and now use an iPad as their only computing device.

If I could I'd gladly just have my iPad Pro, but I still need a full blown Mac for developing my apps.
But since I got the Pro, Smart Keyboard and Pencil I've become very productive on my iPad, something I've never been happy enough to do before.

There's plenty of apps to get what you need done, I even invested in a wireless router/memory card/hard drive reader for the times when I need to do file transfers. So I can get pretty much everything other than my development done on the Pro. Best iPad and range of complimentary accessories they've done in my opinion.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I'm sitting here typing this post on my brand new iPad Pro (9.7, 128GB, space grey). I'm already loving the big screen! I bought this from Verizon today after spending a week playing with it at Best Buy. I just watched some Apple Pencil videos on YouTube.. I may be buying a pencil and a Smart Keyboard cover this week :)

Congrats, I have the same model (with cellular) and I love it. Just curious, what did you upgrade from?

Getting the pencil and keyboard add a whole new dimension of productivity to the device. I don't draw, but I do annotate documents a lot on my iPad. Combined with the Pencil-supported Microsoft and Adobe apps, and a Cloud service like Dropbox or OneDrive as a makeshift file browser, it's actually a lot of fun to do.

Also, be aware that the Smart Keyboard will draw down the iPad battery a bit faster, since the keyboard does not have its own power source. Not a big deal, but something to remember.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
Congrats, I have the same model (with cellular) and I love it. Just curious, what did you upgrade from?

Getting the pencil and keyboard add a whole new dimension of productivity to the device. I don't draw, but I do annotate documents a lot on my iPad. Combined with the Pencil-supported Microsoft and Adobe apps, and a Cloud service like Dropbox or OneDrive as a makeshift file browser, it's actually a lot of fun to do.

Also, be aware that the Smart Keyboard will draw down the iPad battery a bit faster, since the keyboard does not have its own power source. Not a big deal, but something to remember.
I upgraded from the iPad Air 2 and it was the best decision I've made in a while. I understand about the battery life with the Smart Keyboard, I kind of figured that would be the case since the keyboard transfers data and power via the smart connector. And, I just learned about the two-finger-cursor feature with this iPad Pro. This is the best device I've owned in years.

Reactions: Kermit262 and tgara

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
9.7 big screen?! :confused: Congrats.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Congratulations! I love mine too. I have the pencil but not the keyboard. If I'm going to do much typing I use my Macbook. If I was going to do much typing on the Pro, I'd definitely get a keyboard. Enjoy your Pro!

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
I also just bit the bullet. On a 12.9 at Best Buy. Got it open box for almost $250 off. Couldn't say no.
I've purchased some open box items at Best Buy and have never been disappointed. Agreed, almost impossible to pass those deals up.

Reactions: capathy21

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Verizon is offering $250 off iPads with a new 2 year agreement right now. This pretty much means you are getting the service for free ($10/month for 24 months = $240 you have to pay them over the next 2 years for service).

I think this just started on May 1st, because when I bought my iPad April 27th they were only offering $100 off for a 2 year contract (so I just paid full price for mine rather than signing a contract).

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
Verizon is offering $250 off iPads with a new 2 year agreement right now. This pretty much means you are getting the service for free ($10/month for 24 months = $240 you have to pay them over the next 2 years for service).

I think this just started on May 1st, because when I bought my iPad April 27th they were only offering $100 off for a 2 year contract (so I just paid full price for mine rather than signing a contract).
I also got free activation when I brought my iPad Pro at Verizon yesterday. You might want to ask them about that.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010

I use mine in my lap all the time. Works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.