Just bought 27" iMac. Bad move?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by someguy1984, Feb 3, 2012.

  1. someguy1984 macrumors newbie

    Feb 3, 2012
    I've needed a PC for a while and just got an itch to buy one...So, last week i saw the 27" iMac and wanted it, so i bought it without thinking...

    My issue is that i realize it's now February and 2012...The iMac i just bought is a 2011 model, correct? Which means i'm sure another model will soon be released. If this is true, should i just return my current iMac and wait for the new one? I have until Wednesday of next week to return it.

    Do you think this is a good idea, or will it be a long time before another iMac? Also, i assume the newer iMac will be impressive. I'd hate to see a better design when i could have waited.

    Thanks in advance.
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Nov 28, 2010
    Of course the new iMac will be faster, up to fracking 20 %. If you need that much more horsepower and can wait until April or later for the 2012 iMacs, which might or might not be redesigned, go bring the iMac back.


    Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
  3. Brunchies macrumors newbie

    Jul 29, 2011
    Check the buyers guide, it said that a new model is supposed to come out soon. If you want, you can certainly sell it and since Imacs have such high resale values, you wont lose that much money. Again its your choice because the computer you got is still pretty good.
  4. someguy1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 3, 2012

    20% is a lot...Especially for the same price. Most likely they would lower the cost of my current model. Which essentially makes it more of a waste to keep it.

    April is only 2 months away...What makes you say April, or March? Is this generally the timeline apple follows? When did they release the iMac last year and the year before?


    True. I could keep it and sell it. But, if the person above is right about it being released in April that's very soon... It would make more sense to just wait.

    Do you have any idea on when the other iMacs were released? I imagine they release things around the same time every year? Like the iPhone.
  5. panzer06 macrumors 68030


    Sep 23, 2006
    If you have buyer's remorse I'd return it if you can w/o a restocking fee. No sense in buying the 2011 until you see what 2012 has to offer. I got a brand new top of the line 2010 27" iMac in 2011 for much less than the comparable 2011 version and saving several hundred $$$ was worth it to me so if you find the 2012 isn't that impressive you can buy a 2011 for less.

  6. someguy1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 3, 2012
    Exactly...I'll be returning this model. Even if it comes out in June I'd rather wait...Technology moves so fast it seems silly not to get something when it first comes out. (Or at least compare and go from there)
  7. Spink10 Suspended


    Nov 3, 2011
    Good idea - I dont think its a bad idea to buy a model that is 1 year old. Consider the discount compared to upgrading a year sooner with an older model.
  8. moonbeep macrumors member


    Jan 19, 2012
    Belfast,Northern Ireland

    If you always want the latest and greatest model your gonna be forever waiting,i purchased a mid 2011 27" iMac last week,dosent really bother me that a new one is coming out soon,just wanted an iMac and am happy with my purchase...
  9. liquorice macrumors regular


    Jan 31, 2012
    yes Tech moves on so you either get on the boat or you wait for the next one, I also decided not to wait and jumped on this one !

    Computers are always changing !
  10. srxtr macrumors 6502a

    Jul 1, 2010
    Depends on how up-to-date you keep with Apple news.

    You'll be happy with iMac now, and have buyer's remorse when new one comes out later.
  11. sunspark* macrumors newbie

    Dec 21, 2011
    It sounds like you are within the return window, right? so no harm done if you return it - the fact that it's bothering you suggests you might want to wait just to see what comes out in a few months.

    I just got a 2011 27" refurbished iMac, and I love it to death!! No way was I going to wait - people are predicting small changes in the iMac, and it was past time to upgrade my old machine. It will be interesting to see what comes out whenever they do the new release (May? June?) but technology is always changing so there will always be the next greatest thing coming soon... you just have to jump on when you are comfortable.

    Absolutely check out the refurbished store on the Apple store website, it's at the lower left side of the page. My refurb looks and functions same as a pristine brand new unit, and you can save big $$$.
  12. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus


    Sep 8, 2010
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

    I think you'll be good with the iMac you just bought. Mac's have strong lasting power and though it's in the second hald of it's release cycle, it will easily last you many years.

    Plus I don't see that the 2012's will be drastically different or improved over the current models.

    I vote for keeping and enjoying it.
  13. derbothaus macrumors 601


    Jul 17, 2010
    Where are you pulling this 20% number from. Are you saying IB will bring hex to iMac? Cause IB over SB isn't 20% anything.
  14. astrorider macrumors 6502

    Sep 25, 2008
    Newer models aren't always improvements over the current model, depending on your use. Imagine waiting until June (just a guess) to find out they removed something that you want (like an optical drive), or that the new models have some issue (like yellow screen blotching)...wouldn't be the first time.

    If you like the current model and it does what you need you could keep it and enjoy months of use, then sell it on Ebay for a little loss if you find out you really want the new model. Then take your time machine backup to your new machine and start back exactly where you left off, having months of good use with your current iMac.
  15. mmomega macrumors 68030


    Dec 30, 2009
    DFW, TX

    20% is only a lot if you usually use apps that use a lot of CPU power.

    If you can wait and want to wait then that is your decision to make. If you don't NEED the computer now and can get by just fine without it then wait but also on that note, Ivy Bridge is set to be released in April. If Apple updates the iMacs immediately then it's 3 months out. Intel released Sandy Bridge in Jan last year, the iMacs were refreshed in May so 5 months after. You just never know how long until it is here.

    IMHO the avg computer user will notice a larger difference by installing an SSD over a CPU upgrade.
    Like my wife's 15" MacBook Pro i5 is slower than my 13" MacBook Air (which has an SSD) at the tasks she uses her laptop for.
  16. ixodes macrumors 601


    Jan 11, 2012
    Pacific Coast, USA
    The model you just bought is excellent.

    Reject thoughts of buyers remorse, stop wondering & second guessing, it's only natural. I've bought quite a few new computers & speed increases are never as dramatic as they'd have you believe.

    Enjoy the one you have. It's a very nice, long lasting model.
  17. thekev macrumors 604


    Aug 5, 2010
    Even in raw power, those kinds of gains aren't anticipated. Laptops may see a greater gain than desktop chips. Some of the desktop chips are seeing reduced tdp. If they make it thinner, I'd say to avoid it and buy the old one.

    Again this isn't entirely accurate. Perhaps it is on some. Look at how much you save on a refurb though on the top models. Even the refurb units are several hundred cheaper. If you're buying a model from the refurb store that remains desirable, it will probably sell quite well. It's hard to anticipate what will sell well in the future though. Mac Pros used to have ridiculously excellent resale value comparatively.

    It doesn't look like much of an upgrade on the desktop end at all. They're just lowering tdp. I'm not sure of their long term design goals in that regard. Any idea? I mean max tdp caps out lower, yet many of them remain the same.
  18. someguy1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 3, 2012
    I ended up returning that model, but some posts are making me want to buy a higher end refurb model and keep that for a while...

    Does the current 27" imac have an SSD? If not, i'm sure that may be something the new one will have and that might be worth waiting for?


    Also, i don't "need" to have it. I just don't have a desktop computer. (I sold my old one) I use my work laptop to get online and just kind of wanted to have my own personal.
  19. Orlandoech macrumors 68040


    Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I just picked up an Amazon Warehouse deal, open box 2011 iMac 27", 3.1ghz i5 for $1499


    The only SSD models are BTO, sometimes you can get a refurb with a 256GB SSD but for a $500 premium, not worth it at all. Id install it myself.
  20. someguy1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 3, 2012
    If i found a deal like that I would buy it right now...Should i just search amazon?

    Is the i7 necessary and should i get the upgraded radeon 69xx graphics card?
  21. Orlandoech macrumors 68040


    Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I always recommend searching Amazon. As for the second, only you can answer that question.
  22. someguy1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 3, 2012
    I was searching and found the same 27" i bought for 1587. It's the basic i5 with the 6770.

    I didn't know this until yesterday, but i can go to the apple store and get that same model with a student discount for $1599 in store.
  23. Chorny macrumors member

    Feb 5, 2012
    Bohemian California
    Not enough info

    I see the mac has been returned, but I see little value in most of the advice here without knowing what sort of deal you got on it, if any, and how badly you need cutting edge computing power i.e. what sorts of things you use your mac for.
    So you could potentially get more for less money by waiting a few months; but that's a few months that you don't have the use of a new mac.
    I don't think I could live with this sort of mindset-- always regretting every mac purchase as soon as something newer comes out, or everytime there's a round of price drops in the refurb store.
  24. inscrewtable macrumors 68000


    Oct 9, 2010
    Lol (in an empathetic way) at the OP. After reading more of your posts it's clear you should have been studying up on macs for months before buying. Some people don't give a hoot.

    Here's some salient points.

    1. Everymac.com is your friend.

    2. i7 processor is a good BTO to get

    3. Next iMac from what I can gather probably won't come out till June.

    I just bought a 3.4GHz 27" from the refurb store for $400 less and I'd probably be able to sell it for almost for what I bought it for within a year especially as it comes with a new warrantee. Buying one of these with a student discount would certainly mean you'd not lose anything if you sold it after 6 months.
  25. Mr Rogers macrumors regular

    Oct 24, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Do you need all the power

    Not sure what use you wish to put your 27in iMac too, but given there will be a revamped model out within the next three months, it may have paid to wait awhile and purchased the top end 2011 BTO as a refurbished model once new 2012 iMac becomes available.

    By all accounts, we are not going to see massive CPU speed hikes, or for that matter GPU speed hikes - for all those promoting SSD, to me its still too expensive and Thunderbolt option on 2011 model allows for many an improvement via third party vendors.

    In a nutshell, had you waited until the new iMac arrives, the cost of a 27in top end refurb would have dropped in price, further, until unit is delivered, you never know if you have other BTO options like a 2T HDD, 2G GPU RAM and 8G of RAM itself.

    Indeed, upon refresh, many who have opted for the refurb have had an actual discontinued new model.

    In real terms, and given the i7 3.4Ghz CPU is really a top notch chip, you'd probably be happy with a refurb 2011 for two years from point of purchase - add APP and its resale value after 2 years would still be around US$1000 if top end BTO.

    Check eBay and see how much the late 2009 27in models are selling for.

    My advice, top end 2011 i7 will hold its weight against revised models, don't get carried away by SSD, make sure you have 12G RAM and add APP - this will all be a cheaper option than purchasing new BTO revised model, indeed, for the cost of the revised low end 27in you'll have a better overall machine at a similar, if not less, price point.

Share This Page