Just bought a $97 WalMart iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thundermustard, May 26, 2010.

1. thundermustard macrumors regular

OK, I bought a new 16GB iPhone from WalMart today.
    I get it home and guess what, it is firmware version 3.1 with the old bootrom.
    Sweet.
    But where do I stand. I used BlackRa1n to JB and used Cyndia to store my SHSH but I think that might not work anymore. Is that correct?
    It says Device Pending.
    So where does that leave me. Stuck at 3.1 or 3.1.3 if I ever have to restore?
    Do I have any options for going to 3.1.2?
    By the way, I bought it cause I hate ATT and I don't want to wait till June 1st for the $350 termination fee. At $175 to terminate if Verizon gets the iPhone I can bail for cheap. I don't care about the iPhone 4g or HD or whatever the hell they call it.

2. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

As you have the old bootrom you can restore to a custom FW made with pwnage tool, which bipasses the verification system + preserves your baseband.

3. Pared macrumors 65816

...you say that now. ;)

4. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I can agree with this statement, I thought the same exact thing buying my first iPhone, the 3G about a year ago. I didn't care that the 3GS would be coming out shortly thereafter.

In the end, I fell in love with and ended up getting the 3GS in February. I'm one who can't upgrade to the new phone until it's jailbroken ;)

5. Benjic macrumors regular

I'm willing to bet money that the 4th gen iPhone is jailbroken in a week.

Geohot had the 4.0fw cracked in less than 24 hours after the keynote for god's sake. Buying an iPhone now was a stupid idea.

6. thundermustard thread starter macrumors regular

Well how should I proceed.
    Currently JB with BlackRa1n.
    What do I do now to save the custom FW?

7. thundermustard thread starter macrumors regular

No it really isn't a stupid idea if you really want to leave ATT for Verizon.
    If this time next year or sooner Verizon has an iPhone then my move paid off.
    I was replacing an 8 GB 3G. I can sell it for the $97 it cost me to get this phone and if I terminate I can sell the 16GB 3GS for the $175 termination fee.
    So it is a roll of the dice. If Verizon doesn't have the iPhone in two years I lost.
    Thank about it. If they JB 4.0 it is going to work on the 3GS. I don't need a front facing camera, HD video or a better screen. I am thrilled with my iPhone. The thing I need more than anything is tethering and I am not all that sure that MyWi will work on 4.0 and I am not paying ATT anything extra.

8. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

If I qualified for the $97 price right now on a 3gs, I would upgrade from my 3g too :)

9. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

I do qualify and have thought about buying the $97 3Gs but decided i'll just wait until June and its killing me, June hurry up!! :D

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Termination fee is now $325

11. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

Blackra1n is fine, or you could just restore with a custom FW which installs cydia as part of the FW.
    To make a custom FW download Pwnagetool and make one (mac only) or find a friend/contact/internet source and download one.
    You can then use this to restore whenever you need to.
    If you use Blackra1n, and want to unlock, use blacksn0w RC2 (more stable) through cydia, not blacksn0w RC1 inside the blackra1n app.

12. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Not unless you're a new contract after June 1.

13. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

14. senorian macrumors regular

I am so happy to hear that so many people are going to bail on ATT if Verizon ever gets the iPhone. So many people leaving means less people on the network which means fewer dropped calls and better connections!

15. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

If you bought a 3G - what were you thinking?

If you bought a 3GS - cool, but, what were you thinking?

16. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Am i the only one that has been reading that Verizon is supposed to get the iPhone next month? And that is from the quickpwn website.

17. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The Verizon iPhone, if it ever comes, will NOT be available in June. Maybe in the fall.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What you been reading is rumors.
    Noone knows for sure.
    It could be this year it could be next or in 3 years etc....

19. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Perhaps but there are plenty of them. Here is one.

Apple is working on a Verizon iPhone

http://www.quickpwn.com/2010/03/appl...on-iphone.html

According to Wall Street Journal, Apple is planning on releasing a Verizon iPhone this June during WWDC 2010. The Verizon iPhone will support the CDMA network which Verizon uses for their network. The current iPhones do not have a CDMA chip and are incompatible with Verizon, and that’s why the current iPhones can’t be unlocked to be used with Verizon. If you are patient, you can unlock iPhone 3.1.3.

With the iPhone coming to Verizon, Apple will dominate the smartphone market for a really long time. Android, BlackBerry, and other competitors will need to launch something very new to even compete against the iPhone. The HTC Evo 4G looks like a pretty good competitor.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like I just said.
    Its all rumors and speculation.
    Believe what you want.

21. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Your link goes nowhere. And there is no verifiable info if or when a Verizon iPhone will be released.

22. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I used an old link. Here is the New One

Here
    is another that says June 22nd.........Rumors perhaps but it is from quickpwns website which made me think it had some teeth, but who knows.

The new iPhone 4G prototype photo above has spread quickly around the web, thanks to Gizmodo for creating a very controversial story out of it. Will we see a Verizon iPhone on June 22? Recent reports on the web indicate that this is the date we can expect it. It makes sense because this is around the time the WWDC conference will be held, where the iPhone OS 4.0 software and iPhone 4G will be unveiled.

23. senorian macrumors regular

No offense but there's also rumors and links of ATT's exclusive contract with Apple lasting till 2012. Although it was never proven, the length of the exclusive contract between the two was for 5 years starting in 2007. I'm too lazy to find a link but it's been posted on iphone section of this website and many other websites.
    Again, anything related to Apple going to Verizon is pure speculation and nothing more. Until Steve Jobs says it don't believe ANYTHING.

24. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Sorry but the WWDC is June 7-11. June 22nd was a date of speculation for the WWDC several months ago about the same time the rumors of the CMDA phone being available this summer.

25. thundermustard thread starter macrumors regular

It is a 3GS, I already explained my thinking, I wanted to beat the almost doubling of the ETF starting June 1.
    I really am happy with the 3GS. This was to replace my wife's SLOW 3G.
    The 4G is not going to be a necessary upgrade for me. The 3GS will get 4.0. That takes care of a lot (most of which JBing has taken care of already). It will have more memory but I sync everyday, have good playlist management so no big deal.
    The 4G isn't going to have flash, it might have video conferencing but that is gee whiz stuff. No one uses the phone now, they text.
    The camera will be better but I have a great point and shoot with HD video that I would never replace with any camera. The 3GS camera is fine in a pinch.
    It will look different, maybe have a better battery but it will be much more expensive.
    That is what I was thinking.