Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

K-Funk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
I've been fascinated with Macs for a while now (and in fact, I'm typing this post on my 7-year old PowerBook that I bought last year), and so I strongly considered getting a new MacBook. But in the end, I decided the Dell was a better use of my money, for the following reasons.

First of all, the Dell cost only $750 (14-inch screen, 2.2 ghz with 2 GB of RAM). This is hundreds of dollars cheaper than a comparable Mac. And I didn't want a glossy screen.

Also, I've tried to give OS X a shot (and yes, I realize there have been improvements since Panther, which I'm now using on my PowerBook), but Windows just seems more intuitive:

I don't really see the point of displaying multiple open programs at the same time. It just makes more sense to me to focus on one window at a time; thus, the lack of a "maximize" option in OS X is frustrating.

The OS X dock seems like a waste of space to me. I know what applications I have; I don't need to constantly see colorful icons for Word, Firefox, iTunes, etc. I'd prefer to see which applications I currently have open. But in OS X, you just have a thumbnail of open documents on the right side of the dock, and you have to scroll over it to see which document it is. By contrast, with Windows, you can just read what your open programs are across the taskbar.

I right-click all the time. The absence of a right-click button on MacBooks strikes me as being silly. I know you can hit "control," but it's annoying to have to use 2 hands. And I know the Mighty Mouse has virtual right-click detection, but why not just have 2 buttons? It seems like Apple is putting aesthetics over functionality here.

I don't have any interest in any of the "iLife" stuff. I just need to do word processing and internet browsing. In the end, I really liked the idea of getting a Mac, but there just didn't seem to be any compelling reason to spend the extra money. I realize that it seems like most computer experts prefer OS X to Windows, so I tried to keep an open mind, but I just don't "get" why Macs are supposed to be better.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Windows just seems more intuitive

Just goes to show that "intuitive" depends on what you're used to. I recently installed XP on my macbook with bootcamp, and I find it maddenly unintuitive. Everything I want to do in XP takes twice as many steps as it would in OS X, and sometimes it still doesn't do what I want.

In OS X, everything (options, preferences, controls, etc.) is right where I expect it to be. And if there is anything that I don't like, it's nearly always no trouble at all to change it (e.g. you can hide the dock very easily).

Oh, and as far as the right clicking goes - clicking the button while having 2 fingers on the trackpad performs a right click. So between that, the control key, and an external mouse, I find that complaint really pretty silly.

Anyway, enjoy your Dell. It's nice that we have options, isn't it?

.:R2theT

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
VR6
I realize that it seems like most computer experts prefer OS X to Windows, so I tried to keep an open mind, but I just don't "get" why Macs are supposed to be better.

Do you go onto Audi forums and tell them why you bought a Ford?

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
I've been fascinated with Macs for a while now (and in fact, I'm typing this post on my 7-year old PowerBook that I bought last year), and so I strongly considered getting a new MacBook. But in the end, I decided the Dell was a better use of my money, for the following reasons.

First of all, the Dell cost only $750 (14-inch screen, 2.2 ghz with 2 GB of RAM). This is hundreds of dollars cheaper than a comparable Mac. And I didn't want a glossy screen.

Also, I've tried to give OS X a shot (and yes, I realize there have been improvements since Panther, which I'm now using on my PowerBook), but Windows just seems more intuitive:

I don't really see the point of displaying multiple open programs at the same time. It just makes more sense to me to focus on one window at a time; thus, the lack of a "maximize" option in OS X is frustrating.

The OS X dock seems like a waste of space to me. I know what applications I have; I don't need to constantly see colorful icons for Word, Firefox, iTunes, etc. I'd prefer to see which applications I currently have open. But in OS X, you just have a thumbnail of open documents on the right side of the dock, and you have to scroll over it to see which document it is. By contrast, with Windows, you can just read what your open programs are across the taskbar.

I right-click all the time. The absence of a right-click button on MacBooks strikes me as being silly. I know you can hit "control," but it's annoying to have to use 2 hands. And I know the Mighty Mouse has virtual right-click detection, but why not just have 2 buttons? It seems like Apple is putting aesthetics over functionality here.

I don't have any interest in any of the "iLife" stuff. I just need to do word processing and internet browsing. In the end, I really liked the idea of getting a Mac, but there just didn't seem to be any compelling reason to spend the extra money. I realize that it seems like most computer experts prefer OS X to Windows, so I tried to keep an open mind, but I just don't "get" why Macs are supposed to be better.

I respect your choice, to each his (or her) own. But expect to get a little on this one. If you only have interest in web browsing and email you probably made the right choice. I coworker of mine did the same thing just last week.

However, I firmly believe that if you spent some more time with things and got to understand OS X better, you might feel differently.

I think your comment about Windows being more intuitive is fair, but only on the basis that you are more familiar with it than OS X.

For what your needs are, you are correct, multiple programs open at the same time not necessarily needed. However, it is nice to run something like spaces or expose without constantly opening and closing programs. Think of it as an easier "alt-tab" (which I use a ton of on my macs, cmd-tab).

The dock is very similar to the application tray on windows. The dock can be resized and even hidden when not needed so your comment about it being obtrusive is somewhat moot. Again, I think it is lack of familiarity with the OS.

Don't even get people started on the one button mouse thing. That horse has been beaten to death, buried, dug up and beaten some more. There are plenty of options out there. Again, it is just a matter of getting used to the OS.

A couple of things I am curious about. How long have you been using OSX? Also, running any software on a 7 year old machine is not going to give you a fair assesment of the ability of the OS or the machine.

Also, did you seriously compare all of the detailed specs of you Dell versus the Macbook. My father in law picked up a Dell Inspiron 1510 in think it was, for my wife. That thing is seriously a piece of crap. To come even close to the performance you would get in a MacBook, you would easily have to spend another few hundred $$$, putting the cost on par with the MacBook.

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2006
My family utilizes me as the "tech wizard." If anyone has a question about how to use their computer, they come ask me. So, when I have to use someone else's laptop (like my dad's fujitsu) I have one heck of time right clicking since I'm so use to the two finger touchpad. It's just habit. Same with scrolling. I hate scrolling in windows with the keypad.

Anyways, right click, in my opinion is better on a mac.

The dock...yea it would be nice to know exactly which windows are open, but i can usually keep track pretty well or use apple + ~.

Anyways, enjoy your dell. I haven't had the opportunity to check out those vostro things...

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Oh, and as far as the right clicking goes - clicking the button while having 2 fingers on the trackpad performs a right click. So between that, the control key, and an external mouse, I find that complaint really pretty silly.

Probably not on a 7 year old powerbook though. That is why comparing experiences between something running on a 7 year old machine to a brand new one is not quite comparing apples to apples. Nor is it a fair comparison. That is like comparing a car made 7 years ago with one made today. many things are going to be different, new technology, etc.

Matiek

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
I'm a little confused about why you're posting this on a mac site? Do you want us to try to convince you otherwise? It seems like anti-mac links would be better suited to a windows page.

if you want to right click in tiger you just have to have two fingers on the track pad when you click. You can also scroll around pages with two fingers on the track pad.

you can mac the dock disappear when your mouse isn't on it in preferences.

I'm confused why you don't like to have the option to use improved multitasking functions.

I'll agree with you that for the price of hardware, Macs tend to be a touch on the higher side. You do tend to see better hardware on them and improved upgrading abilities though.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
Are you trolling or simply incompetent? :D

You obviously are not very familiar with Leopard and the Mac platform.

If you want to become more informed and give a crack at second guessing your decision I highly recommend you browse some MR and Apple forums.

Have you considered an Asus Eee?

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I don't like trackpads at all, so I always use my preferred choice of mouse. One which I have multiple of, one for each computer I have.

Logitech trackman wheel mouse. Simplistically perfect.

image.php

hakuryuu

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Lomita, CA

System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse > Trackpad > Check the box "For secondary clicks, place two fingers on the trackpad and click the button."

I certainly prefer that over having right-click.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse > Trackpad > Check the box "For secondary clicks, place two fingers on the trackpad and click the button."

I certainly prefer that over having right-click.

Again, I don 't think this helps the OP. I have a PB and I do not have this option. I don't this this became an option until the intel MBP.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Don't pick on the guy he is just expressing his opinion and I kind of agree he likes the way windows works. OSX is nothing amazing to me just an operating system that runs my applications. He likes the way it organizes things. I think the vostro's are quite nice they are well built and simple with no adware or trial ware. Personally I think apple should add an option for matte and a regular keyboard.( I don't really like the one it has now)

And for the fellow with the car analogy its more like go on an audi forum and say you got a Volvo.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I just think the OP can't break free of the Windows world's mentality and wants Macs to be virtually the same as windows to satisfy his comfort zone and thats very natural when trying something new

When i first switched i asked myself the same questions, then i read the slogan 'Think Different' and stopped trying to compare everything in OS X to Windows but rather see OS X for what it really is...'A Different' Platform altogether.

As for the hardware, i like the designs Apple comes out with and how their software are integrated into the hardware to give an overall simplicity and seamlessness and i'm more than happy to pay the perceived 'premium' for that

At the end of the day you have to buy what works for you and if its the Vostro/Vista combo then by all means enjoy

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China

care to elaborate more on the spec of the dell? being a computing student has made me realise the difference between one 2.2Ghz processor and another. clock speed isn't everything, and if everything else isn't up to scratch then you aren't going to get the best performance out of the processor. this is something that's really been bugging me lately, people seem to think mac's are so much more expensive than PC's with the same spec, but they obviously aren't. I actually wrote in a different thread and compared 2 more equivalent laptops, the macbook and dell xps 13" (i forget the actual model name) and they are pretty much the same price, give or take under different circumstances (which windows operating system you pick, student discount from apple, etc)

it just seems people like to say 'it has a (fantastic)Ghz processor, with (loads of)GB of ram' but don't care to think about the manufacturer of the RAM they have and the quality of it, FSB speed, etc

K-Funk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Yeah, I realize it's not really a fair comparison with my 7-year old PowerBook, so I did my best to only complain about things that are still relevant today. The "2-finger" right-click thing sounds better than hitting "control," but I still think I'd prefer a right-click.

As far as why I posted this on a Mac forum, I was just curious as to whether the responses would be, "You're an idiot; everyone should prefer OS X," or "Yeah, Windows sounds better for you," or somewhere in between. I'll need a new desktop soon, and I'm still open to being persuaded to get a Mac.

Regarding the specs, it's a Core 2 Duo 7500, and the RAM is expandable to 4 GB. Other than that, I confess I'm not really expert enough to know how the other technical aspects stack up.

Even for a PC, I think I got a pretty awesome deal. A Sony Vaio with similar specs would have cost about the same as a Mac.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Again, I don 't think this helps the OP. I have a PB and I do not have this option. I don't this this became an option until the intel MBP.
When Apple released Leopard they included drivers for two finger right clicking on PowerBooks that have two finger scrolling. My 12" PowerBook isn't missing anything the MB has now, thanks to Leopard.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
hell yeah

Do you go onto Audi forums and tell them why you bought a Ford?

I do, only it's the Benz forums and I drive a GMC. They keep calling me a troll, but I know I'm slowly convincing them (yeah, to TRADE with me).

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...
Those Vostros are pretty ugly. If I needed something for email and internet I would pick up and Asus eee PC for $450. So tiny!

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
As far as why I posted this on a Mac forum, I was just curious as to whether the responses would be, "You're an idiot; everyone should prefer OS X," or "Yeah, Windows sounds better for you," or somewhere in between. I'll need a new desktop soon, and I'm still open to being persuaded to get a Mac.

Regarding the specs, it's a Core 2 Duo 7500, and the RAM is expandable to 4 GB. Other than that, I confess I'm not really expert enough to know how the other technical aspects stack up.

Even for a PC, I think I got a pretty awesome deal. A Sony Vaio with similar specs would have cost about the same as a Mac.

You got a good deal and you are not an idiot.

I run Windows XP and Vista on my MBP 17", 2.6ghz under either VMWare or bootcamp as well as on a couple desktops; this in addition to my Macs.

I build websites, video and print--I develop on the Mac and test on the PC. Both platforms are very solid. I like Windows more and more as I use it more and more.

The Mac feels more normal to me but I am a lot more used to it.

callmemike20

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Yeah, I realize it's not really a fair comparison with my 7-year old PowerBook, so I did my best to only complain about things that are still relevant today. The "2-finger" right-click thing sounds better than hitting "control," but I still think I'd prefer a right-click.

You have to remember that a mac doesn't require as much power as windows does to run. So, if you really wanted the same performance in a windows machine as a mac, you might have to add a little bit more. I came from windows a few months ago and I thought I would hate the right click as well. But, I got so use to right clicking and scrolling with the mousepad that when I use a family members windows laptop, I get frustrated because its not as easy to perform those tasks.

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
there's an ass for every seat said this guy once...yours happens to be Dell :cool: go enjoy your buy instead worrying what people on here think

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.