Just bought a DP 2.7Ghz G5 for $60

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Peyote, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I think I just got a great deal! A Dual Proc G5 2.7 Ghz Powermac for $60. The case has very few blemishes. The only things missing are a video card and HDD, and it appears the PSU will need to be replaced, but they're fairly cheap on eBay and I'm handy. I'm hoping I'll just have to put maybe $400 into it to have a decent machine.

BTW this will eventually replace my Mac Mini 1.25 Ghz, so its a big jump up, even though its not Intel architecture.

What do you guys think?

2. sbb155 macrumors 6502

waste of money, should have bought or saved for an intel mac

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

he spent $60. As if that's a huge dent in whatever savings he'd need for an intel mac.

4. sbb155 macrumors 6502

yes, and after PSU, drive, graphic card it is a total waste of money
    do yourself a favor, and trash the system now

5. Nickisgodofmacs macrumors member

Nickisgodofmacs

personally id keep it i dont think that about 400 for a powermac is that much heck you can buy one like that today for over 1000

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Umm no. No Mac PPC-based system cost $1,000. Any Intel system would be more powerful and cost less.

7. Peyote thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Well I'm much less inclined these days to spend for another mac mini, I want something upgradeable. So my option is an Mac Pro, which would be at least $2000.

What would be the advantages in saving up for a Mac pro...it would be faster, and it would run snow Leopard, or any other Intel only apps. But a DP 2.7 will definately be enough as far as speed goes...I've been getting by ok with my 1.25 Ghz Mini. And I'm happy with Leopard, and don't expect that many improvements in Snow Leopard. And I've yet to run across any other apps that I've needed that were Intel only.

To some maybe its a waste of money, but when I look at my needs, this should be plenty of machine. And the cheapest I've seen this system for is $800. At the very least if I get it u and running and get a year or whatever out of it, I should turn a profit if I sell it.

8. sbb155 macrumors 6502

actually, no to the $2000 for MP
    you can get a dual 2.0 mac pro for about 1100 on ebay,
    it is loads fast - faster than most current macbook pros that are 2009 models

face it , you are investing in a dog for hardware

9. Peyote thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peyote

You seem to be quite resolute that I made a mistake, which is fine by me..opinions are like you know what.

But the bottom line is I don't have $600 to spend, much less $1100 that you claimed I could get a mac pro for...btw, I'd love to see a link to one that is $1100, because I looked yesterday and couldn't find any.

My mac mini's xBench score is about 40...THAT is a dog. the average DP g5 2.7 machine scores around 120. I'd hardly call that a dog.

If a 2.7 G5 is a dog to you, so be it, you are obviously one of those types of people that insists on arguing for the sake of arguing and could never be wrong, so what's the point in discussing it further with you.

I'm the only one who knows what I need in a computer, and this will be more than enough, and it will be more than enough for a great price. Face that.

10. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Where can I get me some of this $60 G5 lovin'?

I might be coming into some slightly older PPCs later this month, but I've no idea if they will be G3s, 4s, etc.

11. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Why not sell it for more and use the extra to buy an Intel Mac capable of running Snow Leopard? Throwing $400 into that seems like a waste to not be able to take advantage of Snow Leopard... that's my two cents.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

$60 sounds like a good deal, but unfortunately throwing more money into it, especially around $400 seems less than reasonable.

You're literally investing in an "obsolete" machine.

13. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

If you dig around you can find a PSU for about $100 or so. Flash your own video card and buy your a HDD the total cost would be $200 or so + $60. For <$300 I would have taken a G5 especially a 2.7GHz one.

14. Peyote thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Obsolete is relative...If a machine does what you want it to do, I don't consider it obsolete. I'm sure a few years down the road I'll start running into problems getting software that's universal, but that hasn't happened yet.

15. sbb155 macrumors 6502

G5 Powermac? maybe you can dual boot windows 3.1 on it also. Pop a tape into the VCR, and chill to some tunes on the turntable!
    It is old - enter the modern era, save up if necessary and you will be much happier. Save your money.

16. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Sounds like someone is jealous they couldn't score a deal like that. The case alone is worth $200 on the street.

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

ignore the haters. $60 is a great price, and I agree - it's not obsolete if it does what you want. but beware - those systems had some problems with the water cooling failing.

18. Peyote thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peyote

LMAO! Thanks, that's good stuff

19. Peyote thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Exactly what I was thinking...even if it doesn't work out, There's probably a way I could make money on it at the very least.

20. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

If you spend 250 to get it going then I think you have a fine machine- there is only one thing you need to do next and that is update your signature !

21. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

What I find interesting with most PowerMacs is if you separate the parts and sell them separately, you can often get more than the actual value of the computer.

Did you mention what is going to become of the mini? If not, that would make a great server.

22. Peyote thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peyote

That will trickle down to replace my wife's aging iMac G4 800. Not sure where that's going yet...

23. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I can take that off your hands. :D

24. Peyote thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Heh..probably will sell it for $60 to keep the good karma going

25. ProstheticHead macrumors 6502

Exactly. I have no idea what sbb155's issue is, based on the signature looks like he's got too much money laying around. Personally I used a Pismo G3 well beyond what he would consider its "useful life" was.

As you were saying, obsolete is relative only to the user. If you're content with it, then I say go for it! That's a massive upgrade from that little Mac Mini and for only a couple hundred bucks. Hunt around on eBay and build yourself a box that sbb155 probably paid $2999 for back in the day and thus is a little butthurt by your steal of a deal.