Just bought a Macbook instead of a Dell Vostro -- Here's why

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by v-ault, Jan 13, 2008.

1. v-ault macrumors regular

I've been fascinated with dells my whole life. I find Mr. Dell extremely sexy. In fact, I am typing this on my 50 year old Dell laptop and it's absolutely amazing for a 50 year old laptop. But in the end, I've decided the macbook was better use of my money.

Here are the reasons:

For 1000 dollars, I get laptop with great specs, portable, slim, amazing operating system, nice integration with bluetooth, mic, webcam built in, sexy slot loading drive, and great magsafe adaptor to protect my laptop from falling.

See, I don't see the point in having only ONE program open at a time. That seems very anachronistic to me. This is 2008 and I demand the ability to be able to do more things at once.

The windows taskbar seems like a waste of space. I don't like seeing all my apps after clicking the start bar. I have absolutely NO REASON for that. I'd much rather just put the apps I constantly need in my dock and not have to look at all the other apps I don't use as often. Plus, I CAN HIDE MY DOCK until I need it, which provides more screen space. This is great!!!!! I don't wanna look at an ugly start bar all the time.

Second of all, I like to right click all the time. I love the option of being able to place two fingers on the track pad for a double click. It's sweet. The two finger scroll is absolutely sweet, too. Plus, the macbook has built in bluetooth, so I can get a really nice logitech mouse and not have to use a USB port--Awesome.

I don't have any interest in minesweeper, microsoft paint, windows firewall, UMPC, windows defrag, or internet explorer. I just need to do a lot of word processing and there are a TON of options on the mac. You've got word, openoffice, the amazing iwork, and so on.

I know a lot more people use windows than Macs, so I tried to keep an open mind on why I should get a windows PC.

Thanks.

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

:p giddyup!

You forgot about mentioning the intuitiveness of Mac OS X and that you basically have to use only two clicks to reach your desired goal :)

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

You make a lot of very good points and it's amazing how often I right-click these days without even thinking about it. The way Apple implemented it on the trackpad, it just seems so obvious.

4. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

dude, what kind of Dull fanboy doesn't know that teh Company was est. in the 80's?

shame shame, Michael Dull aka your dream date will be broken-hearted. :D

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it's a joke. it's a play on this thread.

6. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

ummm... :)

7. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Ummm - I hate to be the one to break it to you but you CAN hide the windows task bar and there is a lot of software available for word processing...

Anyway, enjoy your mac!

8. djellison macrumors 68020

You can hide the windows task bar in the same way you can hide the dock. Personally - I find the dock more intrusive than the task bar.

Every PC Laptop I've had has let me customize the trackpad so that I can do a single tap on it to equal a double click if I want to. They even did single finger scroll down one side.

My last PC laptop had built in blue-tooth. And, it wasn't falling apart at the edges like my Macbook.

No offense, but if you're going to cite reasons for getting a macbook, please use the only one that is valid, which is :

I prefer OSX to windows, and I'm prepared to get utterly shafted with over priced, poorly built hardware to get it.

Doug

9. gpeden macrumors regular

Hehe, OK, assuming something that I don't find to be the case myself, that PC's are every bit as good as Macs in terms of hardware and OS, what about this one factor: the time and money a PC user spends keeping his machine free from viruses, malware, spyware, adware, popups, etc. and the detrimental effect on PC performance suffered from such intrusions. Not to mention the affect that experiencing all this paranoia on a daily basis must have on one's personality ;) When I tell my PC friends about how much time and energy I've spent in this regard over the last 20 years (ZERO), they are quite dumbfounded. For the average user, who just surf's, email's etc., that is a big consideration.

I've watched my wife worry about this stuff on her machines for years. I took a serious interest in this a couple of months ago when she started asking for a new PC for Christmas because her relatively new one had gotten slow :) I referred her to some free-ware apps recommended here for PC partitions and I believe it was the gazillion registry entries that were doing it. Now she's happy again. I bought a deluxe Norton package for cheap off ebay as well. It's not like she's all that helpless - been using PC's since the days of DOS. But as I talk with the average sort of user over the years, not the PC geeks/techies responding here, these sorts of things really taint the PC user's experience and are not worth any savings realized with the initial purchase.

Cheers!

Glen

10. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

With the taskbar you have to click start...then all programs....and then find the manufactor (sometimes the name) of the app and then click it

in mac...you look in the dock for the picture and click...done app is open

11. vm7118 macrumors regular

i agree with the above post. os x is really cool, but honestly the advantages DONT outweight the cons, for me at least. i bought a MBP because i could afford to.

if i had to pick one laptop, i would go windows because i want to have the ability to play all games (don't even get me started on the hardware limitations of a macbook graphics system), i would want full compatibility with my office, i would want free and friendly tech support from guys like me who know the ins and outs of windows (how many os x afficionados do you see in every day life?), i would want to be able to cheaply and easily upgrade/replace components, i would want free and broadly used/supported software (sourceforge, anyone?), and i wouldn't want to look like a snobby loser with his white/black/chrome laptop with a big apple on the front of it, wearing his white headphones.

not to mention full control of every aspect of the OS, e.g. the registry, msconfig, safe mode, etc.

sure windows isn't as well made, but the price and everything above makes it a better choice for many.

12. K-Funk macrumors member

With Windows, you can put icons for your commonly-used programs next to the "start" button. So you're one click away from Word, Internet Explorer, etc.

I understand the concerns with viruses, but personally I've never had a problem with them on PCs. I guess I'm just lucky.

13. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

tell me how is that any different than putting your most used programs in the Dock? its just one click away. If you dont want the Dock there all the time, hide it. (i also find the Dock's behavior less flaky than Windows' hide function)

For things you dont use too often, or things that you do use often, Quicksilver is a godsend. I dont even have to use my mouse to open programs.

edit: and you can only put so much into the windows Quick Launch before it creates a descending menu.

14. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

I don't understand how this topic has any purpose other than trolling and stroking your macintosh ego. So what if somebody didn't buy an apple product. It doesn't affect you in any personal way, so I don't see why you are all taking this like a wound to your apple patriotism.

15. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

Alright, arguing about the start menu vs dock is pretty darn absurd imo. How can clicking on start to view all the applications be troublesome? You can customize the folders and allocate all your games in a "Game" folder, all your Adobe programs under "Adobe" so when you hit Start ----> All Programs you are not "overwhelmed" with programs.

I personally, hate Windows. But, I love it at the same time. So many things just make sense on Windows however, the constant memory consumption issues, defragging, unknown crashing freezing/crashing issues, and etc. have given me a much wanted change in my computer experience.

I have used Macs for my needs for graphic designing and wasn't blown away by how super awesomely cool the operating system was...but, just how everything seemed to just work and integrated. If I was to find a well built laptop with Windows Vista, a great graphics card, features/extras for the price of around 2,000 I would jump all over it in a heart beat. Sony Vaio may have my money if nothing comes from Macworld.

I love Apple for what it does. It makes things easy and simple. But, are users really that lazy to do a few extra clicks to do what Windows can? The price gets harder and harder to justify a few less clicks and etc.

The build quality of Apple is something of a misconception as well. Quality is bound to be sacrificed when something becomes popular and demand grows. Apple makes great products but, to expect everyone of them to be made of foolishness.

I want to purchase an macbook pro simply because of my desire for a portable laptop that could serve as a desktop replacement and do all my military work, and to work on my photography hobby and graphic designing on my off time.

16. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

I don't understand how the topic this thread makes fun of has any purpose other than trolling and stroking his microsoft ego. So what if somebody didn't buy an apple product. It doesn't affect you in any personal way, so I don't see why he posted on an Apple dedicated message board on an Apple dedicated website.

hmm?:rolleyes:

17. K-Funk macrumors member

In Windows the quick-launch icon is tiny.

18. K-Funk macrumors member

Why so touchy? I thought the "Vostro vs. Dell" thread had some good discussion.

19. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i honestly don't care if you bought a dell. i don't care if you bought a mac, either. why do you need to validate your purchase on a mac forum of all places and act superior to the rest of us?

20. K-Funk macrumors member

How am I "acting superior"? Also, I'm not "validating" my purchase; I'm explaining my purchase, and I did so on a Mac board because I am open to being convinced to purchase a Mac next time when I have more cash at my disposal.

21. v-ault thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think you guys see the point.

His thread made absolutely no sense as this thread makes absolutely no sense.

22. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

I came to this thread through the index, so I didn't see that there was another thread this this apparent spin-off was taken from.

Regardless though, its still quite immature to do this.

23. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik