Just bought a Ti PowerBook!!!!! MINT!

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Backtothemac, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I am so excited. I just bought a Ti 500 PowerBook from a wonderful seller off ebay. Guys and Girls, it is FLAWLESS. One owner, original box. Original manuals, stickers, software, everything. I have a superdrive I am going to put in it and an airport card. I cannot believe the condition that it is in. The seller is going to be putting up a Pismo that is also pristine, so if yall are looking for one, check him out!

When I get it I will post pics. It is going to be like 2001 all over again here. I am so excited!

Yep, I am a nerd LOL

His ebay ID is econdevdude, and he is a great seller.

2. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Here are some photos from the ebay auction. Is this think clean or what!

Hopefully the seller doesn't mind me posting these, I don't think he would.

Attached Files:

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Nice, I was always a fan of the Titanium design. I remember in my sophomore year of high school, my professor got a brand new 400 MHz model when they first came out. Someone stole it a few months later... sad.

4. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

congrats! my first PB was a titanium 400 mhz running tiger. for basic uses, it ran surprisingly well.

5. California macrumors 68040

California

Just think. Jonathan Ives who designed both the Tibook and the Mac Book Air... also loves the retro industrial look of the Tibook/MBA's black keys off of the grey metal. The MBA is really the son of the Tibook.

6. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Agreed. I, for one, adore TiBooks, having used two of them. Maybe I should get mine back!

Bah. I hate nostalgia. Stupid memories. Now I want another one! :eek:

7. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Nice, I use a 667MHz Ti. Just be careful, they scratch easy.

8. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Mine literally ripped the paint off of my desk cause some case screws fell out. I stole some out of an old gaming box to put in. Industrial strength blue anodized steel. ;)

9. RHD macrumors 6502

I've still got mine. 1GHZ though and used solidly every day since the day it arrived.

I can't believe yours does three hours on the battery! Mine just about did one when it was new and now can about hack ten minutes!

I've just yesterday acquired a 2.6 GHZ Macbook Pro which is stunning! But TiBook is not going anywhere!

10. MatthewCobb macrumors regular

It looks terrific! The innards of mine are still going strong BUT do watch out for those hinges - one snapped and the screen now hangs sadly. And the Superdrive eventually died on me, but I got a new one. Your machine is in a lot better state than mine!

11. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I am sitting here on my sofa, STILL friggin waiting on UPS. Dear lord I hate UPS. Na, I really don't :)

Anyway, I am so excited. I cannot wait for it to get here. There will be pics tonight. I am such a nerd, today, I watched the video today of Steve's introduction of the Ti Powerbook. I am going to feel like it is 2001 and I am getting one for the first time. Actually, I am. I have never owned a Ti, but it has always been my most favorite Apple product.

12. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Wow, I am absolutely blown away. The Pro Mouse was in the original box, the PowerBook was in the original box. Everything was wrapped in the original packaging material. It was like opening it for the very first time.

As for the PowerBook. There isn't a mark, scratch, smudge, skuff, or flaw anywhere on it.

I am completely blown away. It had 9.2.2 on it. However, I tricked it and got 10.5 installed. Leopard is slow as hell, so I am going to find a copy of Tiger and get on it.

Here is the crazy thing. ORIGINAL BATTERY!!!!!! 3.5 hours on one charge. The backup lasts the same amount of time.

Guys and Girls, you would be flabbergasted if you saw this thing. I feel like the luckiest person alive. This was truly a great find!

13. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

That is really sweet...I have always loved the Titanium PowerBook G4.

14. RHD macrumors 6502

I use the latest version of Tiger on my TiBook and it's solid as a rock.

It's happily networked via Airport to new MacBook pro and chugging away merrily Photoshopping stuff I then import into 3D on MBP.

I have to say I like the case design better than the MBP, no warping of the screen: the lid closes flush and straight.
    I love it.
    Lucky you for getting such a fine one!

15. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

It is so nice. It came with OS 9 on it. How amazingly cool was it to see it boot to 9. And FAST in 9 lol. OS X is quick and snappy. Leopard was a pig! I need Tiger badly. And I cannot find a copy anywhere.

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Great buy Backtothemac, I just love the Titanium PowerBook G4s! :) :apple:

17. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

wow thats the first one i have seen and i must say that it really looks awsome.
    good buy.:D

18. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I took it to Best Buy today to try to get a sleave to fit it, and the guys there nearly **** on themselves. It was funny. You would have thought they had just been told that they had won the lottery. It was priceless.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Very nice! I love the titaniums- best design ever. A friend of mine still has his and it works perfectly and still looks great.

20. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

I relished reading through this post. Lots of TiBook enthusiasm in here, and as a proud owner of one, I, too, would like to add my applause.

21. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Not very cool at all. :cool:

Mac OS X = Cool in an awesome sort of way.

Mac OS 7 = Cool in a nostalgic old warm and fuzzy sort of way.

Mac OS 9 = Rubbish

22. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

You can see where the MBA got it's influence from. I wish the MBP's looked like this, although this looks (no flames please) a lot like some of the Dell laptops with the two toneish look, rear ports, black keys and silver design.

I wish they still used Ti instead of Al, but it's sweet looking. There's a video on YouTube from 2001 of Jobs unveiling this very Powerbook and I still drool over it, LOL.

23. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

What is hilarious is I watched that video about an hour before the Ti arrived. I wanted the hype and the expectation, and then the arrival of my new Ti :)

24. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

More Photos

I put up some more photos into a web gallery.

Installed Tiger today, and iLife 08 (without iMovie) and yes, iPhoto is slow as molasses. But other than that. It is quick. Very quick. I AM IN LOVE! :)

http://gallery.mac.com/vintageti#100001

25. nater. macrumors member

That thing is in PERFECT condition! Was it EVER used? Wow! What a find! Congrats!!