just bought an ibook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gooser, Oct 27, 2013.

1. gooser macrumors 6502

oh well, didn't plan on doing it, bought a macbook wednesday, was delivered yesterday, and the thing runs great and looks like brand new. even looks new on the bottom and that's where the problem comes into play. i wanted something old that i could toss around and not be too careful with and my macbook looks too good to do that kind of mess with. so i got a 1.33ghz ibook real cheap. this will be my first g4 (i've owned a few g3's in the past) ibook so i'm sure i will have some questions when it arrives. i already have two 1.25ghz iMacs so if i get the same type of performance from my ibook as those two i'll be well satisfied. it will be my "road apple". if i kill it or it gets lost or stolen then i won't be too bent out of shape.

2. ekiro macrumors regular

Again, why??

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I really can't see any good reason to pay for an iBook in late 2013. If anything, get a good PowerBook G4 that'll hold more RAM and faster CPU. If you got it stupid cheap, then thats good at least.

4. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502

you know, to lean back on the couch and play solitaire. to take on a road trip to check e-mail, browse and respond to a couple of old classic car forums and to read the news on cnn and yahoo from a motel room at night. plop in a couple of dvd's or play a few games if i'm bored. you know, all the important stuff in life. i actually thought about a powerbook but i got 6 macs now and all of them are white. would rather not have an oddball in the bunch. and yes, it was cheap. in fact all ibooks of any spec can be regularly had these days for under $100. except the old clamshells. i won't keep any data on it so i won't need to back it up. and i won't do any banking or shopping on it. i'll probably use it a lot for a few days, set it aside for a couple of months and then pick it back up again and begin the process all over again. at least that's the way i used my ibook g3 when i had it. i'm really looking forward to this thing. hope it works.

----------

i'm having trouble understanding why you can't find a reason for one of these if you still have and use all of those computers in your profile.

5. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I have an original G3 iBook with OS9, but runs OSX to a point, and it's cool for jotting notes or playing simple games. It has such a cool design and is built so well, even holding up to this day. There's some cracking on the shiny hard plastic parts but that's just cosmetic but not bad for a 1999 PowerPC laptop.

6. wepiii macrumors 6502

Sounds like what you are going to be using it for would all be better on an iPad....

7. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502

how true. someone loaned me an ipad once for a month and i never really liked it. never could get used to the "keyboard".

8. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

PPC and older

Since PPC has lost Apple support, it's probably pretty close to collector status which is all about how the site wants to handle that.

I just hate seeing people ask why. Why? Why not? Maybe they never had one, maybe it was something used they always wanted. I am just trying to say that just being more positive in support of what he wants to do is always way more productive.

Have a great day.

9. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Enjoy your new toy. I myself got a donated ibook g3 and upgraded the ram and got a new battery. It has os x 10.4.11 installed as well as os 9. I get to play old games on it and its a lot of fun. Also got an ati Emac for $10, upgraded ram to 1gb and put in an airport card. Upgraded to 10.5.8. Personally these are just great project computers and I had a great time researching and maxing them out.

10. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Why get an iBook (G3 or G4)??? As others have said, "why not"? Seriously, one can get an iBook on Ebay for .99c plus $12-$15 to ship. That is way cheaper than any iPad, even broken, non working iPad's. I just won two iBook G3s on Ebay for .99 each and $22 shipping. The guy sold them that cheap because he sold them as "for parts" because he did not know the admin password. I am going to recondition them to give to my two nieces for Christmas as basic laptops to use for word processing.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That's twice now in a few days or so that people have stumbled in here and contributed to threads by asking WHY when it concerns buying a PowerPC Mac.

Look, this is the PowerPC forum. It says so on the front door. People who use, or want to use PowerPC Macs post here. We don't go into the Intel Mac forums and ask why anyone would use an Intel Mac.

The answer is because we want to. If you don't, then don't post in the PowerPC forums.

12. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Because as I said, why buy an iBook when you can get a PowerBook for the same amount or less. Also keep in mind I didn't buy these things this year. Most of them have been computers I have owned for many years. Don't mistake my questioning of buying an iBook with no liking or using PowerPC.

13. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502

14. tampasteve macrumors 6502

I am not sure that you have looked recently. The spread is not too great, but iBooks are still cheaper than PowerBooks - usually between $30 and $80 cheaper. While that is not a lot of cash either way it is quite substantial when we are talking about machines that can be had for under $10 (iBook G3) or around $50 (iBook G4). Trust me - I just bought 8 different iBook models off of Ebay last week.

15. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

And I got a DLSD HiRes 17" PowerBook on eBay this past spring for $100, and a Core Duo MacBook Pro a month ago for $127 shipped. Its all up to personal preference, but for a few bucks, I'd prefer a machine with a faster CPU, more RAM, better video card, and better screen. I don't think iBooks should never be purchased, but the price is important. We don't know how much OP spent on his. If it was $25, then awesome. If it was $80+ then I don't think it was a good idea.

16. tampasteve, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

tampasteve macrumors 6502

Great points....but you did say

I see what you mean though, in the end it is up to personal preference and how much cash you have to spend and how good a deal you can get. I also won a CD Macbook with maxed RAM for $85 shipped - and there seems to be nothing wrong with it yet.

17. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

I was going to say "Whaaaaaat" 'cause I bought a C2D at $267, but then read it was a Core Duo.

I actually own 2: iBook G4 and Black Macbook Core 2 Duo. The Macbook is extremely fast, it plays 4K with no issues and I get to run Windows 8 (Yeah wow)

However, the G4 is the one I take to work. I work at a school and there's no way I'm gonna take my shiny and beautiful Black Macbook there, so full of kids. The G4 runs pretty strong, and sadly, it is as fast as the computers at the school.

18. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Well... We could start... :)

19. MrPilot macrumors 6502

Well written as always :)

20. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Agreed. That needed to be said. I don't go around to other threads and ask "Why an iPod Classic?", "Why an iPhone 4?" or "Why an Intel iMac?" etc, etc...

This is the PowerPC forum. For the longest time, I went PPC-only because of cheap-ness. There was no need to upgrade. For my college days, I purchased a used 2008 Alu. Uni. MacBook for heavy lifting on a daily basis.

Since those needs have passed, my PPC computers are getting some fun use again. I love my MacBook, but the G4s have been and will always be my favorite computers of all time.

The iMac, iBook, PowerBook and Cube G4s are all amazing machines with classic designs. The iMac G4 seems to be one of the most loved computer designs of all time.

We post here because we love these machines. If you don't understand that, then you have no need to negatively contribute to a discussion. Especially about a happy person who purchased an iBook simply because he likes them.

21. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502

i'm not offended. everyone's entitled to their own opinion. i'm used to taking ribbing about my g4 imac's. don't mean nothing.

22. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I had my 15" iMac G4 in my office at my previous job as a play machine. Just to hold all my music, browse the internet, grab mail from my personal accounts, etc...

I was constantly asked if it was a new machine. People were always shocked when I told them it had celebrated its 9th birthday. :p

(My iBook G4 was my primary machine at my job before that!)

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My comment was more directed here.

Why post in a forum that you have no skin in when all of us are out of the way just off of the main forums. Further, that post has no point or contribution to the thread other than to ask a senseless question that could be answered simply by looking through all of the threads/posts created in our forum.

----------

The reactions are always interesting when I pull out my 17" PoweBook G4 and my son his 15" Titanium at Starbucks. They hold their own against the sea of MacBooks and MBPs and the odd Dell or HP.

24. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

One reason for being is that we are a different bunch of mac user's. We are now the square peg on the round hole. As I have stated before, I have my share of intel Macs, but I kept on going back to my powerpc macs.

There is no fun computing like old school computing.

25. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502

it showed up yesterday. first impressions? it needs a battery. bad. no rubber feet and the bottom of the ibook is scratched and stained real bad. the top of the ibook is in really good shape with only a few light scratches. inside, the screen has no dead pixels, no pressure spots or scratches and no light spots anywhere on the screen. the keyboard is new and the trackpad looks almost new. both the trackpad and the keyboard work very well. when i plug the power adapter in there are no colors around where it plugs in. the hard drive makes no sounds and i've played a dvd in it. it doesn't appear to have any heat issues---so far. these are all just first impressions but so far it seems that this ibook will meet my wants. everyone i know thinks i'm crazy for getting it and maybe they're right. this is my fourth computer i've bought in the last five months. two imac g4's, a macbook and now this. all off of e-bay and so far so good. i WILL have some questions later.