Just bought an iPhone 6S today after using the 6 Plus (thoughts)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by egeek84, Feb 19, 2016.

1. egeek84 macrumors 6502

egeek84

WOW!
    First of all, aside from everything else, the SIZE is the one thing I am absolutely in love with! THIS is how a phone should feel! Sure the 6 plus size was great for movies and gaming and stuff but man, as a phone, it was kind of awkward to hold and to carry. I feel like the regular 6s is PERFECT for regular everyday use. It's not mega tiny like the 5/5S but it's not gigantic either. In my honest opinion, I think it's the perfect size.

The extra RAM. Holy moly. My 6 Plus lagged like crazy doing anything. This 6S just flies compared to it. I should mention though, I haven't installed all my hundreds of apps yet and it's only one day of use so i'm kinda jumping the gun here but I can already tell, theres no regular stuttering that I experience from simple things like just opening settings or mission control or whatever. Also, things open up almost instantly. That's something that was really bothering me with my 6 Plus, it felt like I was using a computer that had a really slow CPU and and low RAM but with a giant monitor. I will take speed over display any day of the week!

I am still keeping my 6 Plus, it's going to be my backup phone and it will still be nice to play games and stuff on it but man, I am so happy I jumped to the 6S.

Oh and Live Photos are pretty awesome! I feel like it's something I won't fully appreciate until years from now and i'm looking at old photos that had it enabled, it will be nice to kind of live in that moment so to speak.

3D Touch is also pretty cool. I feel like with time though, it will get better.

But yeah the speed gains alone make this an awesome phone.

Thank you Apple, I still love your devices and you still have that magic!

2. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

I couldn't go back from the plus sized phone now. Love the OIS, over 2 day battery life and 1080p too much.

3. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

There is no perfect size.

Just the size you prefer.

Apple was smart when they finally caved in and built these larger models after two years of lost opportunity. They love to brag about their profits, but had they made the move to modern sized phones when Android makers did Apple's profits would have been truly surprising.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can, and I'm anxious to do just that. While (almost) 2 years ago, I was yearning for a large phone, I found after extended usage that its a bit too big. I've grown tired of always pulling it out of my pocket when ever I need to sit down. Its not as easy to use single handed (while I commute).

I'm debating if I should wait and get the 5Se that is being rumored, or the 6s.

5. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

The last time I looked at my phone when I was driving I hit the back of a truck. Low-speed collision, the truck never even noticed it, but it scared the **** out of me. So I don't do that any more.

The last time I broke an iPhone was using it on the T. (Prudential station, to be precise.) Somebody brushed by me, knocking the phone from my hand. It was an iPhone 3GS, and the power button never worked again. So I stopped doing that, too. I just plugged in my headset and listened to Audible with my iPhone 6 Plus safely in my pocket.

6. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

I agree. I have always believed 4.7 was the perfect screen size. I was using 5-5.5 inch Android phones for years before I bought the 6s a few months ago, and I haven't looked back.

7. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

The minor extras in the 6 series pluses in no way make the deformity that is the plus anywhere near worth it.

8. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Sure, speed is great but I don't feel like upgrading from my 6 Plus. I think you're exaggerating the slowness a bit, but I can imagine the extra speed and ram being a relief in some way.

Still, 6 Plus is a great phone. Will be upgrading to the 7 Plus in September.

9. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

It took a little bit to get used to 3D touch, but now I can consistently get use out of it. And the transition from a 5S to 6S from a size perspective took absolutely no effort. I have to say I like the phone better than I thought I would.

10. Leo90 macrumors 6502

Good to know you are happy with your new phone. I went from a 6 to a 6S Plus and it was one of the best tech decisions I've ever made. 2GB ram and a bigger screen was all I needed. No way I can go back to a 4.7 iPhone after getting used to my Plus.

11. Fuerza macrumors newbie

Fuerza

I have a 6s and love the speed and capability. I want the larger screen that my wife has on her 6 plus but I don't want to start over on payments.. Ugh I was considered going for 6s to 6 plus but reviews like this sway my decisions.

12. Fthree macrumors 6502a

I had the 6plus before getting the 6s, loved the screen size but hated that I couldn't one hand it. Gave it to my wife she is happy. Happy wife happy life......

13. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

I'm currently using the 6 Plus. Bought a 6S on Swappa on Thursday and it should be here Tuesday at which time I'll be sending off my 6 Plus to the person that purchased it from me. I'd switched to the 6 Plus from a 6 but have been missing the smaller form factor ever since. Plus, in my circle, I always have the latest so using the 6 Plus when the 6S/6S Plus are on the market isn't cool. Haha

14. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I've used mostly phablets for the past 4 or so years, and the 6S is such a breath of fresh air. It doesn't make itself known in your pocket or jacket, at the gym, etc. I love it.

15. Fthree macrumors 6502a

I didn't really think much about how much faster the 6s was than the 6plus until I was using the one 6 plus I gave my wife. The S series really is fast

16. normanfox, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016

normanfox macrumors 6502a

yep, you are jumping the gun here. When comparing the performance of two devices, you should have set them in the same configuration. one old phone with hundreds of app installed, and the other is brand new without apps. that is not even a fair comparison. it is like saying a brand new car with one driver is much faster than an old car loaded with 5 people.

alot of people saying 6s is MUCH faster than 6 just because of the 2GB on the spec paper. but they never have any factual proof of it. just saying "I felt it is lightning fast" is just an opinion.

using this logic, old phone like 5 should be unusable and trash? 6s is faster than 6 but lightning faster, night and day difference are just exaggerate.

Here is a video comparing 6s plus and 6 plus
    . beside the benchmark number, the performance difference of actual usage between two phone is small, not night and day like many claim. you have to put two phones side by side to see the difference. you are not going to notice much in real daily usage (exception to those power users who push their phones to its limit)

17. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I went from an iPhone 6 to a Nexus 6, and I love the larger size. I can't go to anything smaller than 5.5", so that's why I'll be going 7 Plus if I upgrade to the next iPhones in the fall.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Unfortunately the 6 plus was the worst iPhone I ever owned performance-wise. Just about anything performed better than it did in real world use. The 6S plus is night and day better. I imagine the 6s even moreso. I am not surprised you're happy to get rid of it, size problems or not.

19. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Yes a newer phone with better specs will be better than an older phone with lesser specs. Glad you like your new phone. Can't go back to a tiny phone.

20. Umbrarian, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016

Umbrarian macrumors member

have the 6, wish I got the plus. Next time I will for sure.

21. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

I like the 6S too, although I do sometimes get envious of the bigger screen on the 6S Plus. The two aren't that much different in size that I'd feel a difference.

22. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

The size isn't the issue with the 6S Plus, it's the weight. It's noticeably heavier than not only the 6S, but last year's Plus too.

23. trapperj macrumors newbie

trapperj

I agree. The weight increase over the 6 Plus is substantial enough that to me it isn't comfortable to use, and it weighs down my suit pockets.

I'm hoping the 7 Plus is a bit lighter. My old man eyes love the larger screen . . . .

24. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

While it was a bit cumbersome, I could pretty comfortably use the 6 Plus at the gym. The 6S Plus on the other hand makes itself known and is incredibly frustrating to wield in any situation other than when stationary.

25. Zerog46 macrumors member

Zerog46

The 6s Plus is defiantly heavier due to the reinforced frame.

To me not really enough to be an issue. I don't want a phone that's as light as a feather the shatters if you breathe on it.