Just bought ATV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by vjicecool, Apr 23, 2014.

1. vjicecool macrumors 6502

I feel horrible about that product, total waste of money

Mirroring is laggy from mac to atv, no proper sound no proper video
    try to mirror a video game from iphone, no sound no proper video
    i am thinking of returning it

2. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Wait...Maybe something is missing. I am sure someone will be happy to help you. :apple:

3. NukeIT macrumors regular

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Hmm... well, to each his own I suppose. It's only really useful if you have Netflix/Hulu+/HBOGO and a huge iTunes media library, all of which I have. As far as the mirroring, can't really comment on that since I rarely do it. My MBP is incapable of doing it using OSX due to hardware limitations (MBP), so I use AirParrot and there is considerable lag and video/audio issues. But using it with my iPhone/iPad, there is no problem at all.

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

What's your wireless network like? Do you have the ATV wired or wireless? Also, app devs can block airplay mirroring for their particular app....

6. vjicecool thread starter macrumors 6502

i connected my atv thru wire to the wireless router

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Okay, but what kind of router and what speed is your wifi? You only half answered my questions.....

8. vjicecool thread starter macrumors 6502

its from Motorola, i have 15mbps of speed on it. Which works really fine. I connected it thru the wire(not wireless).

9. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

You realize that mattes none right? The question is about your wifi? Are you on b, g, n, ac? What type of router? Is it actually any good? Your Internet speed does not matter, but if you are trying to play something from your phone to your ATV, then your INTERNAL wifi speed matters a whole lot. Your router matters a whole lot as well for capability.

For example, it is known that you need wifi N or AC to get decent airplay mirroring without lag. Further, the model of router can also be very important. May do not play well with bonjour and other Apple proprietary feeds. Further, just because a router is an N or AC, doesn't mean it is a good router either (i.e. I had a terrible Belkin). So again, what is your wifi setup like?

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have two, and both work without a blip...looking at your network speed and router/ mid em combo is a good starting point.

I stream from 2X 4TB media drives using Air Video HD.

I do have fast BB and pull down 145+ on my phone and iPad over wifi.

Try cabling the ATV in first...you may have a faulty unit which needs replacing too.

11. vjicecool thread starter macrumors 6502

i have this one buddy

Motorola - SURFboard eXtreme DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless-N Cable Modem and Gigabit Router Model: SBG6580

12. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I rarely if ever use Airplay mirroring, found it to be somewhat laggy. But for Netflix, Hulu Plus and playing movies from the iTunes library the ATV works flawlessly.

The main part of my network (work related stuff) is all hardwired, a couple of computers, the ATV and 2 DVD players are wireless, all work quite well on our 802.11 ac network.

I'm considering a Roku device next as I very much want to cut the cable.

13. sngx1275 macrumors regular

sngx1275

Netflix and mlb.tv are what I do most on mine. However, a couple months ago I bought Beamer, which will shoot pretty much any video file from your Mac to your ATV, works really well 99% of the time*. I don't even store the files on my Mac since my Macs all have really limited storage space. I run Beamer on my MBP which is usually in front of me in my living room, and open a vid file that is shared on my Windows desktop (through Beamer). I can play 1080p mkvs on my AppleTV without problem*.

* every once in a while there becomes some high cpu usage issue, some lag/skipping, or inability to ffwd or rewind on the atv. Beamer recently got updated to version 2 and I'm not sure if those issues still exist.

So the takeaway from this is that if you have some media on a computer, you can use Beamer to get it to your ATV.

14. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I love my ATV, especially now that we are cutting the cord and going with Hulu and Netflix only in our house.

I also like being able to play Photostreams of our baby when family comes over.

I don't use mirroring much, but when I do I don't have any problems.

All of that being said, if you don't like it, return it. No one here is likely to convince you otherwise.

What were you expecting when you bought it that you aren't getting?

15. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

What mac are you using to store your video? Specs? Internal or external drive for stored content?

16. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

17. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Not sure who this was directed at, but all of my content is served up via a mid 2011 mini (2.3 ghz i5, 16 gig, 5400 rpm 500 gig drive), which is my home file/media/web server. My data is stored on a Guardian Maximus raid 1 device which contains 2 4tb 7200 rpm drives & speaks to the mini via FW800.

18. steveh552 macrumors regular

Interesting so many people talk of lag and audio/video issues with airplay. I airplay things often from my rMBP to my ATV with no issues, and it is wireless with an airport time capsule AC setup.

19. vjicecool thread starter macrumors 6502

i returned it
    didn't found it useful, the airplay is horrible. not worth of 100 bucks
    i rather buy and extended hdmi cable and connect my mba to tv period

20. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Same here, I have an AEBS and all my stationary devices always use wired Ethernet including the ATV3.

I find most of the WiFi problems people have are a result of a really crappy router (your ISP provided router is almost guaranteed to be horrible).

Remember: WiFi speed drops of very quickly with distance.

21. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I wonder how many people mistakenly use Airplay Display mirroring when they want to play an iTunes movie, rather than using the functionality built into iTunes.

A.

22. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

There must be something wrong with your setup. everything works fine for me on ipod ipad iphone and mac

23. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Cool. Sounds like you don't need all of the features anyway.

24. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Totally agree--using your ATV for these applications works great. I have an extensive classical library on an external drive and streaming it to my A-V system through ATV is the perfect way to listen--at least for me. Or with Match I can stream directly from ATV, iPhone or iPad. As with any other multifunction component, it is best if you understand how exactly you intend to use the product before you buy.

25. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

I guess my only question really is why now? There is an expected refresh coming soon