Just bought Macbook Black !!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by texmacs, Oct 22, 2008.

1. texmacs macrumors newbie

Finally...the day has come...I just received by Macbook Black (2.4 Ghz, 2GB)...I am first time Mac user...So I would like to know what are the usual rituals first time starting with Mac?....What needs to be downloaded...etc....

Thanks for the help!!

2. killianb macrumors regular

killianb

You don't NEED to download anything -- it's not like Windows where you have to download plugins to play stuff, install anti-virus, stop pop-ups, etc, etc. Your new Mac will work wonderfully right out of the box.

I would suggest running Software Update though and installing any updates.

Other than that, all there is to do for the first few days is just admire its beauty!

3. wawanarchist macrumors regular

I'd recommend getting a program (free) called monolingual, it strips down the fat that you'll never use off of programs, gives you more room and makes things run faster...

4. gwmac macrumors member

gwmac

Nice one!
    I reckon firefox with adblock plus and flip4mac are very worthwhile.

5. Tosser macrumors 68030

My rituals include reinstalling the OS and while doing it, paring it down (deselecting languages and apps I don't want etc.).

Secondly, I run software update.

Third, I install my audio apps etc. – download them if necessary - and update those (Soundbooth, Waveburner, Wave Agent, Wave Editor, Soundsoap, Bias Peak, Bias Deck, MS Office).

Then, I set up Mail.app, to work with my different accounts.

And while mail downloads the mails from my accounts, I download VLC player, Mplayer, Cog, Omniweb (pay-for browser), Opera, Firefox, Bean (awesome, simple text editor based on text edit), UnrarX.

When that's done, I copy many of my settings over. Many, not all. This last step is irrelevant to you, of course.

6. PresentACat macrumors regular

Adblock plus?! On a Mac? According to above Macs don't get pop up, even if it is a function of the browser.
    Can't OSX stand on its own two feet or does it need the crutch of negative talk of Windows to seem good?
    For the record, I don't run AV software on my Windows machines or download plug ins (only for web browsers, and again that is the browser's issue) - so let's not blame Windows for the fact it is used by a multitude of morons who I guarantee would ruin OSX in the same way if enough used it.

7. polar-blair macrumors regular

I would run through all the options in system preferences. Track pad, Display power settings ect... Flip4Mac is a good plug in get that.If your new to macs I would suggest buying a few copies or even subscribe to a mac magazine, here in the Uk I read iCreate and Mac Format very good tool to pick up those handy little tips. But just have fun!

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You have to remember a lot of people don't use adblock plus to block pop-ups. Firefox already has that built in. Most people use it to get rid of all the ads and banners that appear throughout websites. I installed adblock plus for this reason on my mac.

9. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

Yep, just enjoy it.

You also don't need to delete anything from it (bogus trial software, etc...). :)

10. gwmac macrumors member

gwmac

But I don't like seeing unsolicited advertising when I am browsing, what's the big deal in that?
    And if you're not running anti virus on Windows machines, I hope you don't look after anything of importance!

11. jalpert macrumors 6502

I thought adblock also stripped the ads out of websites? That sounds useful to me.

12. EricJD macrumors regular

Yes, that is what it does.
    It's very nice :)

13. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I would download the software updates.

I would get Flip4mac and the new version of Flash.

Download Firefox so you have a backup if you run into a unfriendly Safari site.

Maybe Stuffit expander too.

When your done run Repair Permissions.

14. scorpiusdeus macrumors member

I have pretty much the same questions. I always get firefox, that's a given, I don't know what Flip4mac does.

I've never used an antivirus for my Mac, but I'm now wondering if it might be a good idea just to avoid passing on some bug to someone else?

What about fire walls and maybe a file shredder? What apps in that area would you recommend?

15. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

perian plugin for quicktime. Runs most unsupported videos directly in quicktime for you, save having to have loads of third party video players.

Other than that, i would only recommend widgets.

iStat (or I prefer 'iStat Pro')
    application update
    coconut battery (only useful for macbooks)

16. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

17. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Why do you need to run Repair Permissions. I've had my Macbook Pro for over 2 years and I've only done this once.

Here are some free and helpful downloads:

• Perian - a QuickTime component that adds native support for many popular video formats
    • Solitaire XL - the best Solitaire game for Macs
    • Handbrake - allows you to rip DVD's for your Mac or iPod

This does allow you to play Windows Media Player files, but to use other features, you have to purchase it.

18. gwmac macrumors member

gwmac

19. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Sorry, I don't normally look for Mac software on Microsoft's website. I went to flip4mac's website:

http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm

20. gwmac macrumors member

gwmac

Sorry this was your original post I was replying to before you edited it

[​IMG][​IMG]

21. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Congrats!

You dont really need to download anything!

Only thing i would recommend is Onyx

Its a program that just keeps the mac running smooth, registry clean up ext.

Has a scanner built in just incase there is any threats which i doubt very much

But its a very small program and i know many that use and they said its the best in its field.

Got a bit of info for you

OnyX is a multifunction utility for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard).
    It allows you to verify the Startup Disk and the structure of its System files, to run misc tasks of system maintenance, to configure some hidden parameters of the Finder, Dock, Dashboard, Exposé, Safari, Login window and of some of Apple's own applications, to delete caches, to remove a certain number of files and folders that may become cumbersome and more.
    http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

Cheers

ML

22. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

HAHA!

"You don't NEED to download anything ... [but run] Software Update ... and [install] any updates."

That's like saying I don't need to buy gas, but go ahead and fill up my car anyway.

Yes. You need to constantly be up-to-date on Software Update. It's very valuable to the life of your computer.

23. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

Why not VLC instead?

24. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Just got the same MB you did.

Installed Adium so far and did my software updates.

I have a System Restore disc for my HP Vista laptop...can I use that with Bootcamp to load up Vista?

25. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Perian, Flip4Mac, and Firefox. That's about all you need to download. And get yourself a copy of MS Office if you're a student.