Just bought MBP need mp3 tag software

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ipaqman, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Ipaqman macrumors 6502

hey all,

i just bought a new macbook pro after being a long time windows user. i have a fairly large mp3 collection (over 7000 songs and around 43gigs) which i have always used tag&rename to search for the correct file names. after switching to mac i have yet to find a good program to do this. i have used ieatbrainz which is terrible for a music collection like this as it is extremely slow and often hangs. any other suggestions? there has to be a program like tag&rename for mac. please let me know.

thanks,
    ipaqman

2. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I am missing something? iTunes? (not being sarcastic or anything here. Does anyone else here use anything but iTunes?)

3. Zel macrumors regular

Does iTunes edit mp3 tags or simply its own library info?

4. greenday123 macrumors 6502

Yeah, iTunes is probobly your best bet. You can edit and rename the song titles and everything, and it's easy too! I recommend iTunes for you.

5. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Yes, iTunes actually edits the ID3 tags in MP3 files. The proof of this can be had two different ways:

1. Do a Get Info on an MP3 you've edited in iTunes. You'll see it display the new ID3 metadata.

2. Get yourself another audio app, even something like, say Audion, and look at the ID3 tag in it, and you'll see it's changed.

6. volvoben macrumors 6502

editing id3 tags in itunes is like editing photos in mspaint.

I have long wanted for a decent id3 editor for mac, but have found nothing. I use Tigo Tago in windows, a powerful free program. Access to freedb, discogs, musicbrainz, easy copying from/to filenames from tags, id3v1 and 2 as well as copying betwixt the two, easy column edits in spreadsheet form...

I converted a massive cd collection a few years back, but had no internet connection while converting, so i had to go back and add id3 and filenames later. I still find missing/screwy tags now and then, and Tigo Tago makes it so damn easy to fix. It's also great for making playlists with modified id3 tags (I like to think of as modern mix tapes/cds, I usually change the album name to the event instead of just adding a playlist) for some event etc. For now I'll just keep going into windows, but I always like to use mac programs when possible.

quick demonstration of Tigo Tago:
    http://tigotago.com/show1.html
    http://tigotago.com/show2.html

7. AngelGuy7 macrumors regular

8. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

anyone else know of a good tagging program?? someone must know of one like tag and rename for mac.

please help.

thanks,
    ipaqman

9. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I must be missing something too. I watched both those tigo tago demo videos and I don't see anything there that iTunes doesn't do. Is the issue that people are needing to tag files that they've pirated shared? All my songs are coming off ripped CDs so iTunes is populating the data via gracenote/cddb when I'm importing them.

Certainly iTunes can do batch operations just like tigo tago seems to do.

I'm just not getting it. I think iTunes' tagging capabilities are quite powerful and useful.

I also think that the notion of making playlists by overwriting otherwise valid id3 tags with fake data is totally bizarre. Why not just make playlists (smart or otherwise)?

10. spongehead17 macrumors newbie

i haven't used the tagger mentioned earlier, but i've had the best lug tagging stuff with a program called iEatBrainz it has been pretty accurate on a few songs i had very little data about.

11. aussie.damo macrumors regular

I find MPFreaker to be very useful. You have to pay for it, but I found it to be worth the charge.

Damo

12. volvoben macrumors 6502

Firstly, I explained that I ripped the CDs when at a location without internet access, so everything was just named by folder quickly, no tags, no filenames. Nope, it's not stolen, every CD was left to me by a friend's late father, but I don't have room for 85 trillion cds so i ripped them at his house. There are still plenty more to be done, but I think I got everything I'll ever actually listen to...

Secondly, I amend the ID3 tags of separate files, not modifying the original. Usually I do this to put a certain selection on an ipod or wherever, then delete the copied files from my hdd. a playlist is great, but only works on ipods, and although I love my ipod, I don't carry it with me daily because it would get quite a jostling...plus i work in the ghetto.

I believe you're Thinking of the digital music world as being encapsulated in itunes, whereas I hardly use itunes. I dislike Apple’s system of organizing things and hiding the actual files, hence I don’t use iphoto for my files, I organize them myself for easy backup, and usually use bridge to view them (I’d use finder if it had more options like windows’ explorer, but it looks like leopard/quickview will fix that).

itunes is fine for plenty of folks, but it’s just not a great id3 editor.

13. hotoru macrumors newbie

Why need another MP3 Tagger

Yea, iTunes seems powerful but as a poster mentioned before it only seems to work for the stuff you have in your iTunes library. Most of my MP3s were ripped pre Itunes. I access my music folder straight from a attached NAS drive. Also, 10GB worth of music will not fit on a 2GB nano. I guess I could import it all then uncheck 8GB worth of music but seems like alot of trouble.
    Will quick view in Leopard allow you to edit MP3 tags?
    Hotoru

14. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

i use iTunes to edit tags usually, but if you want to check the tags of mp3's without starting iTunes, you can install MP3-Info CMM 1.4 and then just right click :)

15. jufjo macrumors member

Itunes edits tags fine, although it may be a bit of a hassle to move music from folders to the itunes and back...
    But what I was wondering if I can use Itunes to rename the music files according to the tags.
    I have tens of thousands of songs that I sometimes need to rename according to their names, year of recording, artist, etc.
    In windows I used tagscanner, a brilliant little programme.
    But for mac I cant find anything really good.

16. leibrockt macrumors newbie

I got the latest version of darwine (1.1.21) from here, and it works!

http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/

You can run Tag & Rename on Mac OS X perfectly now, without a copy of windows!

"Get tags from Amazon.com" works too!

SWEET!!!!!

This is so much faster than running Tag & Rename in VMware Fusion...

17. timelessbeing macrumors member

*bump*

Same situation as OP. Used to use T&R but now switched to Mac. That program did EVERYTHING, and it was all laid out nicely in a table in front of you. iTunes IS pretty good, but lacks key features. One being renaming files, which I now do using A Better Finder Rename (http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/). Another feature being copy ID3V2 => ID3V1. (my car stereo doesn't read V2). T&R needs to be ported, or someone should write a nice pleasant mac appy. Keep the feedback coming. I'm going to go try this Mediarage program. Cheers.

18. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I recently looked and looked and looked for a good ID3 editor. I tunes doesn't work, it wont change the file in any way it just updates its library. There are some free solutions but IMHO they suck.

Hands down the best id3 editor is, well, ID3 Editor. I have been using it to update my music files for a few weeks and it works perfect.

19. tomjleeds macrumors 6502

If automation is what you're after, I have to recommend Picard.

20. espressoroast macrumors member

espressoroast

21. timelessbeing macrumors member

ID3 Editor sucks at doing batches of files.

22. Snotver macrumors newbie

I am a fan of Tag&Rename and tried Wine too.
    It runs (latest version) but the Amazon search does not work, it hangs.
    Do I need some Winetricks?
    Would appreciate any help on this.

Snotver

23. bigaudiofanatic macrumors regular

I agree once you start using itunes you are going to love how easy it will be to find stuff.

24. krustybaguette, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

krustybaguette macrumors newbie

I've been editing the heck out of some tunes (in iTunes) but when I transfer them to my mp3 player (Sansa Fuze) some of the songs are in a different folder, cover art is missing, yet I've been careful to make sure everything is accurate. e.g. Gipsy Kings not Gypsy Kings, not Gispsy Kings, etc. Batch addition of cover art doesn't seem to work very well either.

edit:
    Found solution, I think. I had been moving files and folders around to correct previous errors and the gispsy spelling remained on some files that were in the trash. All tunes now appear in one place on mp3 player. Yay!