Just Bought My First Mac Book Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daninspired, May 9, 2010.

1. daninspired macrumors newbie

Just bought the low end MBP 15" picked up a magic mouse, an extra power cord, and an incase slip cover

This think just rules. So many dev tools i needed to use, that i couldn't have on a PC.

Photoshop, Textmate, everything runs like a dream.

2. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

i know this is only personal opinion,
    but buying the magic mouse to use on a macbook pro was probably a waste of money. the trackpad is amazing itself.
    to the point where i'd actually rather use the trackpad than the magic mouse or any other mouse ever.

i'm glad you're enjoying your new laptop though!

they're pretty awesomeee.

3. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

Congrats on your new Macbook Pro! :) I have a magic mouse to use with it mainly when its connected to the external monitor.. so nothing wrong with grabbing one of those too.

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Since he bought an extra power adapter I'm going to assume that he uses his MBP both at a fixed location and on-the-go. At his desk or wherever that may be, perhaps he has an external display and prefers to use his MBP in clamshell mode. Or perhaps he just doesn't like trackpads in general. Apple's trackpads are amazing indeed but not everyone prefers to or always can use them all the time. OP: Enjoy your new Mac!

5. daninspired thread starter macrumors newbie

Hit the nail on the head. When i am at home or at work it sits on a dock as did my PC and i have it hooked to a 24" LED and the magic mouse is awesome.

I work as a web developer and i'm on the computer all the damn time.. I now have a DELL SX8000 for sale now =)

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Unless I'm gaming, my hand magnetically jumps to the trackpad :p Haven't touched my mouse in...uh...yeah...

How's the magic mouse treating ya? Have ya learned to right-click? You wouldn't believe the number of people that flip and have a melt-down because after only two seconds of trying, they can't get it to right-click and assume it can't XD

Enjoy! I'm still loving my Apple book after two-years of freedom from Microsoft.

7. cys920622 macrumors member

I can kinda understand why he bought a mouse. My wrist starts hurting after a short while of using the trackpad because i like to rest my wrist on the desk but lift up the hand, thereby straining my wrist. I'm pretty sure this kinda thing leads to carpel tunnel syndrome. So, every now and then, i use my mouse.

8. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I have to agree. And before stating my more detailed opinion, I'll just add that prior to my current computer, I never used a trackpad in my life. Back in the 90s, my first 2 laptops had the old "pointer" nub that Lenovo still puts on their Thinkpads. And then when I finally got a Dell laptop that had a trackpad, I avoided it at all costs and instead purchased one of those tiny travel mouses.

So when I made the switch to Apple last year, and bought my Macbook Air, I purchased the wireless mighty mouse as I figured this was an absolute necessity....

Well, the mighty mouse is still in the box, and has never been even opened. With the 2 and 3-finger gestures, the huge trackpad on the MBA is wonderful.

And I just ordered a new MBP this week to replace the MBA, and with the newer even larger trackpad with the integrated button and now the addition of 4-finger gestures, it will be even better.

At work I use a desktop PC with an optical 4-button mouse, and I actually find myself missing the trackpad.

9. daninspired thread starter macrumors newbie

So far I am happy with my purchase

I wish i could have gone for a faster processor and another 4 gigs of ram (the ram i may upgrade in a month or so from a third party).

Adobe CS5 runs smoothly and i like the interface for the adobe products more on the mac than i do the PC. The one thing i can't seem to figure out is why on the 15" MBP the screen just feels like there isn't as much real estate to work on projects as there is on a 15" HP. Not sure why i feel this way. THough most of the time i have it hooked to an external monitor.

The magic mouse is nice. it feels a lot different than the razor mamba i use on my pc. I'm still getting used to it. You have got to be mentally handicapped to not be able to pick up this mouse and get right down and dirty with it. had no problems. my only complain is when general grit gets caught under the two skids on the mouse it grinds across a surface. i think more surface area in contact with the mouse pad would alleviate some of this. also, its really light, i've accidentally thrown it twice now because i miss judged the weight when i picked it up.

My last complaint about this product would have to be how hot the working surface of the macbook gets when it is plugged in and running some of these programs. almost to hot to touch.

other than that, i love the thing.

Textmate, cornerstone, coda, transmit, macvim, etc etc are all amazing tools that i should of started using a long time ago.

10. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Um...it feels like you have less real estate is because you got the low-resolution screen, and the high-resolution would be equal to the HP.

11. ano0oj macrumors 6502

Definitely get smcfancontrol(lets you control fan speeds for a cooler computer) and better touch tool(trackpad app, its awesome)

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congratulations!

Sounds like you know what you want and know what you're doing.

13. daninspired thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of it hooked to my 24" LED. The other 24" is hooked to my DELL XPS 8000

=)

14. Dferreira87 macrumors member

DITTO! the trackpad is fantastic. Makes me never want a mouse again...

15. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

I also purchased a 13" MBP 4 days ago. I must say, the trackpad by itself makes me want to pick up the computer again and again.

I was calibrating the battery the other day and the calibration process requires you to leave it discharged for 5 hours and charge fully.... Wow, those were painful 7-8 hours!! I shoudl've done it when I was sleeping!

16. shadygrove macrumors regular

The inertial scrolling that is included in the refresh works with the magic mouse and that feature alone makes the mouse much more usable. The only thing it lacks is expose.

17. daninspired thread starter macrumors newbie

I played around with the track pad today. It is nice, I have to admit.