Just bought my first Mac... new OS next month? Noo!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chodite, Sep 23, 2007.

  1. Chodite macrumors 6502a


    Sep 23, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I just bought a new Macbook a few days ago and am LOVING it.

    But... I didn't do enough homework before making my purchase and just recently found that Leopard is being released next month. I'm guessing I need to pony up the $100+ just like everyone else *??* Just hoping that maybe someone can tell me differently. You can even lie :p
  2. psychofreak Retired


    May 16, 2006
    Yes, it is very likely you will have to pay the $129, unless you're very lucky in your complaining once the release date is announced...
  3. sahnert macrumors 6502

    Oct 20, 2003
    I heard a rumor that Tiger might continue to function after Leopard is released...
  4. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a


    Jun 30, 2007
    Orange County, California
    how\why would it not function?? Panther still functions....
  5. psychofreak Retired


    May 16, 2006
    Does it?
    Read it again, maybe you'll notice some sarcasm...
  6. reubs macrumors 68000

    Jun 22, 2006
    I thought sarcasm was outlawed on this board? Am I wrong?
  7. pianoman macrumors 68000


    May 31, 2006
    in line with the recent iPhone rebate, Steve Jobs is giving anyone who has ever bought any Apple product a rebate for however much they want. you have nothing to worry about.
  8. MorzillA macrumors 6502


    May 16, 2007
    all OS X still function to this day, not like Wndws.....any one running or knows some one with Windows 98 by any chance!? yeah ok........!!

    I have no idea if the sarcasm was or was not banned but it sure is welcoming :D

  9. blisters macrumors member

    Sep 23, 2007
    lol...you didn't do "enough homework"? How about you didn't do **any** homework.
  10. CalBoy macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007

    :D :D :D


    OP, you don't want a virgin Leopard anyways. Wait until it earns its wings (so to speak).
  11. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000


    Oct 31, 2005
    Twin Cities, MN
    Yeah, don't worry about it. Might take awhile to iron the kinks out, especially if they plan to release it "on time." (considering it's already been delayed once).

    P.S. CalBoy, when did you become a Demi-God? Must've been today?
  12. CalBoy macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007
    Yesterday actually:)
  13. synth3tik macrumors 68040


    Oct 11, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    hey you shut up. I have Windows NT on my work computer, shut up, you make me ashamed. :D

    Really though, the PC is a foot rest for when I am rawking the MBP
  14. mach macrumors regular

    Jun 5, 2007
    It's not like Apple's been keeping Leopard's release date (though we still don't have an exact day) a secret as they usually do with their hardware. If you want Leopard, you might consider returning your current Macbook and repurchasing in a month when Leopard is out.
  15. CalBoy macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007
    I think the cost of trying to return it might end up being the same as buying Leopard.

    Macbook ~$1300*

    Return fee roughly $130*

    Leopard probably $129*

    By this calculation, it would be a bad move to return now.

    *Prices do not consider sales tax
  16. colocolo macrumors 6502

    Jan 17, 2002
    Santiago, Chile
    Of course we all here know the timeframe of Leopard's release; that doesn't mean sane people in the real world should, so cut him some slack :)
    Before someone replies saying you should research before buying, that is true to an extent, if you know what to research for; non tech savvy people will ask for the hardware characteristics but rarely know if there will be a major software upgrade in the near future they should hold for. Same happens for example with cell phones or HDTVs in some places (where the standard to be used isn't set yet).

    The plan of returning it and buy it back later isn't a sound one as well; he/she will have to pay the restocking fee that will account for roughly the price of Leopard, so he/she would be better off enjoying an extra month of Mac goodness.

    EDIT: too slow, beaten by CalBoy to the punch
  17. sushi Moderator emeritus


    Jul 19, 2002
    Cool! Welcome to the Mac! :)

    It happens. The new Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) is to be released sometime in October.

    In the meantime, you can use what will come with your MB (Tiger) until you feel the need to upgrade. Note, your MB will work fine with Tiger. So there is no rush to upgrade. Maybe you can put it on your Christmas wish list.
  18. je1ani macrumors 6502

    Sep 19, 2007
    I was at the Apple store today and one of their reps told a customer (I was overhearing) that he would get a rebate for the new OS... He sounded unsure though and I don't know if he was just trying to make the sale of the computer to the guy...
  19. Bl3s5in macrumors newbie

    Mar 19, 2007
    Macs are not starting to ship with leopard in October, I believe the key note said January.
  20. bartelby macrumors Core


    Jun 16, 2004
    No, but usually it's use is reserved for Demis only;)
  21. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000


    Apr 27, 2007
    Bristol, England
    Then you know something the rest of us don't! Unless Apple says otherwise, Leopard is still due to ship in October.
  22. BKKbill macrumors 6502


    Well I don't think this is fair surly or is that Sheryl there is someone higher up I can complain to. And there is nothing wrong with Tiger until the bugs are out of Leopard.
  23. zen macrumors 68000


    Jun 26, 2003
    Yes indeed - when an OS is released to buy in a box off the shelf, it also starts being shipped pre-installed on machines. So if Leopard is late October, then machines shipped in late October should have Leopard installed.

    Sometimes due to stock issues the machine won't have Leopard pre-installed, but you usually get a card or voucher with it that entitles you to get a free off-the-shelf OS to take away with you when you buy the machine. Of course all online Apple store orders placed as soon as Leopard are released will be garaunteed to have Leopard installed.

    In summary: roll on October!
  24. CanadaRAM macrumors G5


    Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The operative concept, here.
  25. danny_w macrumors 601

    Mar 8, 2005
    Austin, TX
    To the OP: I think you did just fine, and actually better than waiting. If you got the first Leopard installed you would not have any choice but to run Leopard (older versions than what came installed on a Mac cannot be installed), and until the first bugs are worked out that is not an enviable position to be in. I would much rather have a fully working version of Tiger until at least 10.5.3 or later is released.

Share This Page