Just bought my first Mac... new OS next month? Noo!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chodite, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

I just bought a new Macbook a few days ago and am LOVING it.

But... I didn't do enough homework before making my purchase and just recently found that Leopard is being released next month. I'm guessing I need to pony up the $100+ just like everyone else *??* Just hoping that maybe someone can tell me differently. You can even lie :p

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes, it is very likely you will have to pay the $129, unless you're very lucky in your complaining once the release date is announced...

3. sahnert macrumors 6502

I heard a rumor that Tiger might continue to function after Leopard is released...

4. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

how\why would it not function?? Panther still functions....

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Does it?
    Read it again, maybe you'll notice some sarcasm...

6. reubs macrumors 68000

I thought sarcasm was outlawed on this board? Am I wrong?

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

in line with the recent iPhone rebate, Steve Jobs is giving anyone who has ever bought any Apple product a rebate for however much they want. you have nothing to worry about.

8. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

all OS X still function to this day, not like Wndws.....any one running or knows some one with Windows 98 by any chance!? yeah ok........!!

I have no idea if the sarcasm was or was not banned but it sure is welcoming :D

:apple:

9. blisters macrumors member

lol...you didn't do "enough homework"? How about you didn't do **any** homework.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

:D :D :D

:rolleyes:

OP, you don't want a virgin Leopard anyways. Wait until it earns its wings (so to speak).

11. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Yeah, don't worry about it. Might take awhile to iron the kinks out, especially if they plan to release it "on time." (considering it's already been delayed once).

P.S. CalBoy, when did you become a Demi-God? Must've been today?

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yesterday actually:)

13. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

hey you shut up. I have Windows NT on my work computer, shut up, you make me ashamed. :D

Really though, the PC is a foot rest for when I am rawking the MBP

14. mach macrumors member

It's not like Apple's been keeping Leopard's release date (though we still don't have an exact day) a secret as they usually do with their hardware. If you want Leopard, you might consider returning your current Macbook and repurchasing in a month when Leopard is out.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think the cost of trying to return it might end up being the same as buying Leopard.

Macbook ~$1300*

Return fee roughly $130*

Leopard probably $129*

By this calculation, it would be a bad move to return now.

*Prices do not consider sales tax

16. colocolo macrumors 6502

Of course we all here know the timeframe of Leopard's release; that doesn't mean sane people in the real world should, so cut him some slack :)
    Before someone replies saying you should research before buying, that is true to an extent, if you know what to research for; non tech savvy people will ask for the hardware characteristics but rarely know if there will be a major software upgrade in the near future they should hold for. Same happens for example with cell phones or HDTVs in some places (where the standard to be used isn't set yet).

The plan of returning it and buy it back later isn't a sound one as well; he/she will have to pay the restocking fee that will account for roughly the price of Leopard, so he/she would be better off enjoying an extra month of Mac goodness.

EDIT: too slow, beaten by CalBoy to the punch

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Cool! Welcome to the Mac! :)

It happens. The new Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) is to be released sometime in October.

In the meantime, you can use what will come with your MB (Tiger) until you feel the need to upgrade. Note, your MB will work fine with Tiger. So there is no rush to upgrade. Maybe you can put it on your Christmas wish list.

18. je1ani macrumors 6502

I was at the Apple store today and one of their reps told a customer (I was overhearing) that he would get a rebate for the new OS... He sounded unsure though and I don't know if he was just trying to make the sale of the computer to the guy...

19. Bl3s5in macrumors newbie

Macs are not starting to ship with leopard in October, I believe the key note said January.

20. bartelby macrumors Core

No, but usually it's use is reserved for Demis only;)

21. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Then you know something the rest of us don't! Unless Apple says otherwise, Leopard is still due to ship in October.

22. BKKbill macrumors 6502

BKKbill

Well I don't think this is fair surly or is that Sheryl there is someone higher up I can complain to. And there is nothing wrong with Tiger until the bugs are out of Leopard.

23. zen macrumors 65816

zen

Yes indeed - when an OS is released to buy in a box off the shelf, it also starts being shipped pre-installed on machines. So if Leopard is late October, then machines shipped in late October should have Leopard installed.

Sometimes due to stock issues the machine won't have Leopard pre-installed, but you usually get a card or voucher with it that entitles you to get a free off-the-shelf OS to take away with you when you buy the machine. Of course all online Apple store orders placed as soon as Leopard are released will be garaunteed to have Leopard installed.

In summary: roll on October!

24. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The operative concept, here.

25. danny_w macrumors 601

To the OP: I think you did just fine, and actually better than waiting. If you got the first Leopard installed you would not have any choice but to run Leopard (older versions than what came installed on a Mac cannot be installed), and until the first bugs are worked out that is not an enviable position to be in. I would much rather have a fully working version of Tiger until at least 10.5.3 or later is released.