Just bought my first Mac!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamvk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

I finally bought a unibody MacBook Pro (2.4, 2GB, 250GB). This is my first Mac ever and I am very excited. I got a steal on ebay -$1654 brand new in box, and the $1654 includes shipping, insurance, tax, etc. It was from a seller who has a 99.6% rating and has sold a bunch of stuff so I'm not worried. :)

2. stevo8 macrumors 6502

Congrats man. Did you get any applecare with it?

3. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I have the same machine and I love it! Wow, that's some price. Maybe I'm completely jealous, but that thing must be stolen or something...why would they sell it so cheap?

4. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

That is a killer price!

I just got my first Mac as well over the XMas holiday and I'm a convert. I still game on my PC for the most part because its a recently built gaming machine (while my MBP is way better than I thought at gaming my PC was built for it) but outside that. I'm pretty much only in OSX (unless I'm at work).

If you have questions when you get it I've found the Macrumors forum EXTREMLY helpful to me, and being a recent convert as well I think you'll be happy.

5. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Nah no apple care but I have awhile to buy it if I want it.

Edit: it automatically has a year though right?

6. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I dont believe the full year would apply since you bought it used. It would be a year from the original date of purchase. I'd get the S/N and check Apples warranty site.

7. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Not exactly. You have 1 year parts and labor but only 90 days phone support. If you have problems after the 90 days don't even think about calling Apple without whipping out your credit card and pay $50.00 U.S. for them to assist you. Also, trust me, Apple will bend over backwards for customers with Applecare. The included 1 year warranty will get you the type of service that they are "required" to do for you but many times with Applecare they will replace your product if needed rather than just "repair" it. DON'T GET CHEAP ABOUT APPLECARE. If you wait it out for the year, you will undoubtedly wait past the year and forget it, then you will have problems and have no warranty. You can get it cheap on Ebay also.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Other perks about Applecare:
    • You are told you must pay $1259 for repairs you don't want
    • you can not get the computer fixed unless you pay up
    • you get accused of spilling liquid on it
    • you get told that apple computers "don't have that problem", so Apple can not cover the problem under applecare
    • you have to spend 4 hours driving to and from the nearest Apple store, hoping that they are nicer then Apple phone support
    • Apple will assume that you will steal any user-replacable parts, and ask you for credit card information before sending anything out to you

Just for an alternative view point. ;)

Don't get me wrong, Apple care can be good, but sometimes the people who you deal with are insane!

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

^^^ To each their own when it comes to AppleCare, but I would rather have it than not. Congrats OP, that's a great MBP, enjoy...

11. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ok thanks for the advice. So I probably don't have the 90 days but I may still have the standard apple care until at least October because that's when they came out right? But if I do buy apple care I need the s/n. Do I need this from the person I bought it from of will it be on the MBP somewhere?

Also quick question on the trackpad: how do you right click?

12. hailst0rm macrumors member

Switch on two finger right click in the trackpad preferences. With this I've never not missed having a second button.

13. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Wow I priced out apple care, $300 is insane..as some of you may know I was originally looking at the iMac. That's only $150, why is the gap from the iMac to the MacBook pro so much? And do you think if I got it waiting until the summer would be fine?

14. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

The difference is because an iMac is a desktop, so much less chance of damage caused due to traveling, whereas notebooks are much more likely to get shaken up a bit. You're fine waiting til your original year is nearly up, then you can decide whether to still get applecare.

15. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

16. dnjmarlboro macrumors member

And you can search ebay for the best Applecare offer for nearly one year :D

17. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

You will still most likely have almost a full year in warranty. Just register the computer when you get it and say when you bought it. They have never asked me for receipts so far upon warranty claims.

18. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Will the serial number be in system info on the mac or something?

19. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Anyone know?

20. Nintendolinky macrumors 6502

Yes the serial number is under "About This Mac". Its also included on the bottom of your new mac.

21. integralx2 macrumors newbie

i got mine on ebay for 1645 brand new, not opened at all. I got a better steal :D. If your a student you can get applecare for about 200 from apple store. Thats what i was told 2 days ago

22. Fabiano macrumors regular

Do you have it in your hands now, or still waiting to arrive?

23. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Still waiting for it to arrive :)

24. kitch95 macrumors regular

kitch95

I have also just got my first mac, a 20" 2.4 ghz and am loving it. Besy computer i have ever owned :D:apple:

25. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ok I heard from the seller, it will be here Friday most likely. Now its time for me to buy cheap accessories off of Ebay. I already have an Apple remote on my list. Anything else to add to my list? Is there a good mouse out there anyone can recommend?