Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Nice system, but I don't know if that is what I would have done. I mean, you will probably LOVE that setup, but this is what I would have gone for:

Dual 2GHz G5 = $2000 (w/tax from edu)
Dell 2405FP = $850 (w/tax)
PowerBook 15" (like you got)

I think you would have come out to about the same total.

SLCentral

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
MacAztec said:
Nice system, but I don't know if that is what I would have done. I mean, you will probably LOVE that setup, but this is what I would have gone for:

Dual 2GHz G5 = $2000 (w/tax from edu)
Dell 2405FP = $850 (w/tax)
PowerBook 15" (like you got)

I think you would have come out to about the same total.

While this does sound like a nice setup, portability is my main concern, and while there is a Powerbook in the mix, it doesn't have an external screen, and I'd rather not share the screen with the G5, then things get too confusing. On top of that, I like having all my files on one computer; that way I know I have the latest one.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
mgargan1 said:
cause you used the word "wicked" and it's a word that a lot of Bostonians use. It's a North East thing I guess?

Apparently there are places outside the U.S. that also use the word wicked. ;) I've heard it pretty commonly used from East to West Coast (of Australia that is...)

SLCentral

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
Just an update :). The PowerBook arrived yesterday, and the 30" LCD arrived today, and all I can say is wow.

Initial thoughts:

The PowerBook is beyond kick ass. Everything seems fast, and doesn't seem any slower then my older 1.6GHz iMac G5 with 768MB RAM, even though this has 256MB less. iLife does tend to show it's RAM limit though, as iPhoto gets very slow, especially when connected to the 30".

Also, when the PB is connected to the 30" with both screens on, the computer is very heavily taxed. With just Adium and Safari open, just 107MB was free. Closing the lid of the PB after attaching an external keyboard/mouse bumped that up to 250MB, even with iTunes running. I'm surprised at the extra RAM it takes. This isn't really a big deal though, as the 30" is plently of real estate :).

The monitor was factory refurbed, but appears to be in perfect condition, cant seem to find anything wrong with it, and I've officially fallen in love. Can't imagine going back to a small screen now...

Pics will be on tomorrow, as my new glass desk has not yet been set up.

swy32x

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2005
So, can we get an update?

We want to see pics! How did the whole thing pan out?

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
West thing

mgargan1 said:
cause you used the word "wicked" and it's a word that a lot of Bostonians use. It's a North East thing I guess?

That is funny - I would have never placed that term East of the Mississippi!

Wicked seems Sooooo West Coast!
of coure here it is "Wicked Dude!" :p

That 30 inch display is like the Hummer of all monitors - I wonder if THAT is what those portestors are all upset about. Dang tree huggers can't get their arms around it, have to use the buddy system. I'd be upset too!

SLCentral

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
Snowy28 said:
So, can we get an update?

We want to see pics! How did the whole thing pan out?

Unfortunatly, I don't have any pics :(. I get very help up on Friday, and haven't been able to use the 30" since Saturday. Right now, I'm using the Powerbook, but the 30" is at a different house.

Will update as soon as I can :). However, I must say, it really is an incredible workstation. Maya is so much easier to use now :).

SLCentral

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
dollystereo said:
What can i say...WOW!!!!!
KICK ASS SETUP, doesnt get slow, for driving such amount of pixels???

You know, I was scared of that before I received it, but I can confidently say that there is no slowdown when the Powerbook lid is closed. When it is open, I do notice a slight slowdown (and a big one when iPhoto is open). But, since I don't really need a secondary monitor when using this 30", it is no biggie :D.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
SLCentral said:
Finally, I've managed to take a couple pictures of the new setup! I love it beyond explanation, and I think I'll be sticking with it for A LONG time!

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/slcentral/Apple30Inch1.jpg
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/slcentral/Apple30Inch2.jpg

Comments are, of course, welcome.

Wow that's beautiful When I first read this thread like a week ago I thoguh it was a weird combination, but after seeing it, it's awesome, and it seems to make sense in your case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.